Thread: Uni-Ski Trailer Conversion Kit

Default Uni-Ski Trailer Conversion Kit

Found this website which offers a ski conversion kit for switching over trailer tires to skis. Bet this setup would work great on either a boat trailer or even a larger atv trailer. Was thinking of getting a set and changing out the tires on a small boat trailer and using it for hauling my skiff down to the edge of the ice when seal hunting season arrives this spring. Bet on a larger atv trailer it would make a good wood hauler behind my snowmachine. I like the skis cause they are wide and look fairly long too. Anyone know of a place in Alaska that sells these type of ski conversion kits? Dealer close to home, might save on shipping cost for us folk out here on the coast. Bet a guy if he put his mind too it could build an interesting snowmachine sled with these skis as well. Thanks

http://www.snotrans.com/equipment5.html

Wow thats pretty cool. I don't know much about how much sleds can pull. But this could be a pretty cool platform for building a sledded camping trailer.

OP1

Probably would work good with an atv/utility trailer kit as well, just need to make sure to find one with an axel that is no wider than the skis of a snowmachine. A guy could customize the trailer frame to suit his needs too.
    These skis look like they would provide a lot of flotation especially in the deeper stuff. Probably work much better than the standard ski sizes you usually see on other ski conversion kits for atv trailers. Bet a guy could even make a set of these skis if he had the plastic material an a good welder to fabricate the metal ski frame.

Go to sno-bear. com ( please do a search.) and check out the ski's on their machine, 67.8" long X 11" wide. a little short on computer skills

Bruce.

Default ORION Sleds & Trailers

Finally found a utility sled with long uhmw plastic skis and an ol school independent suspension that looks like it would do the job. Company says it is also UPS shippable without the 4'x8' 1/2" plywood deck. If I bought one for towing behind my snowmachine I would cut the frame down so the width is no wider than my snowmachine skis. The company also has some other cool models as well like the 2480 with gas shocks, load capacity of a 1000 lbs and a 37" ski stance.

Orion Sleds & Trailers Model 7000 Moonwalker Sled
    http://www.orionsleds.com/moonwalker.html

AB Ranger 007, SnoBear sure is one interesting tracked vehicle, comfortable looking interior too.

Found another company that makes metal skis, custom lengths. Guess I am finding out that if a guy does a bunch of online research he can find what he needs to build a custom sled or at the very least get a bunch of good ideas to work off of when building his own.

Hub Manufacturing Co.
    Metal Skis
    http://www.hubmfg.com/ski.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Orion Sleds & Trailers Model 7000 Moonwalker Sled
    Watch the video very closely. While the "walking" ski suspension might look kinda cool, look at what happens to the sled BEFORE it goes over that little bump... as the snowmachine is crossing it. The sled tips up big-time and nearly drags the tail on the ground. Not nearly enough ground clearance on that sled and that "walking" suspension is getting you nothing of value.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

wild video looks neat at first, but I noticed the same thing (also the approach angle of the sled looks like it would auger in on a sharp drop on the machine side)

wonder how well those skis would hold up too - I know UHMW is great stuff, but I don't think I've ever seen it used purely on its own like that with no structural backing.

I didn't see them on the website, but a friend of mine had a set on his pac rat trailer a few years ago. Maybe you could contact them and find out if they still make them. If my memory is correct they look alot like the one in the other website.

http://plaschemsupply.com/