Thread: Bigfoot or Carlson Pump?

Default Bigfoot or Carlson Pump?

Ok, I did a forum search and have found lots of good info.... I've come down to two pumps that I like. The Bigfoot and the 4'' Carlson. I want to use this pump in cold/freezing temps to top off and inflate my rafts. I'm not to concerned with weight or cost I just want it to hold up to the elements. Especially the hose. Do either have a hose worth a darn or am I just going to have to keep buying aftermarket hose? I will be using the pump on Alaska Series Rafts. Does anyone know if the pumps come with fittings that mate these rafts. I personally have liked hand pumps in the past mainly because I've never had a foot pump last more than a few outings but I would be willing to try one that could possibly be bullet proof. Again cold weather durabilty is most important. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Both of these pumps have an extra heavy duty hose that will not fail. They are made by the same people. I have a "BIG FOOT" that is 15 yrs. old and still rolling.
    Goo
    ALASKA WILDWATER

You want industructable to top off the Big Foot Clavey is it. I picked some up last year from G.V. Alaska Wildwater 907-345-4308 they are built to last, durable and fit your application to a T.

I also like the Carlson pump and tje K Pump however based on your comments look to the Big Foot.

Best wishes

Blue Moose

Ditto on the Big Foot .
    Great pump and built like a tank.

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Thumbs up BigFoot Pump vs. Carlson Barrel Pump - my review

Quote Originally Posted by johnscd View Post
    Ok, I did a forum search and have found lots of good info.... I've come down to two pumps that I like. The Bigfoot and the 4'' Carlson. I want to use this pump in cold/freezing temps to top off and inflate my rafts. I'm not to concerned with weight or cost I just want it to hold up to the elements. Especially the hose. Do either have a hose worth a darn or am I just going to have to keep buying aftermarket hose? I will be using the pump on Alaska Series Rafts. Does anyone know if the pumps come with fittings that mate these rafts. I personally have liked hand pumps in the past mainly because I've never had a foot pump last more than a few outings but I would be willing to try one that could possibly be bullet proof. Again cold weather durabilty is most important. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Depends on a few things... BigFoot vs. Carlson... here is my review:

BigFoot Pros:

a.) Compact (& all ya need is one)
    b.) Straightforward to use and not demanding much in the way of physical fitness
    c.) Dependable made of reasonably simple and rugged components
    d.) Not too expensive
    e.) Great hose designed for Alaska-type conditions.
    f.) Time and effort to full inflation is better than average with good ground and foot stability

Bigfoot Cons:

a.) Past few seasons some obvious quality control issues (my experiences... 2-3 out of 10-12 *that I have, had particular design and workmanship flaws to look for). Likely part of same batch, these have all gone back and been replaced with the exception of one that still needs replacing. I'll add flaws are easier to distinguish now for those in the know recognizing/deal-with any problems before you would purchase 'locally' then take afield.

b.) Tho' hose is great, put a hose clamp on it.

c.) Should be a debris screen on intake.

d.) Should have added a deflation set-up on intake.

e.) A little spendy for lacking b, c, & d

f.) If you are in an inflation or top-off scenario out in the water... this is not the pump to have.

Carlson Pros:

a.) The most simple, dependable, and rugged pump designed
    b.) Easy to use, yet will require more physical fitness
    c.) Great hose (but do not run it over - tho' tough, it has metal inside that will distort, bend, or flatten permanently)
    d.) Inflation is top-drawer particularly the big 6" (best in class when you have multiple boats to inflate up to full pressure)
    e.) Versatility high-card is inflation or top-offs in any conditions... in the swamp, trees, mud, gravel, sand, water, snow, etc.
    f.) Straightforward and serviceable maintainability, plus provided is an extra O-ring.
    g.) Long life span!!! All ya need is one to last the next 20-40 years.

Carlson Cons:
    a.)
    Size (all the sizes are not all that compact)
    b.) Requires greater physical fitness, a good back, and not hands free for those pretty good at drinking beer)
    c.) No deflation
    d.) Should come with a waterproof intake cap
    e.) Comes with extra O-Ring in the barrel... however for field maintainability... the handle should provide a nice little storage compartment for lithium grease and a tool or two)
    f.) Exceedingly expensive for the easily available components it's made from.

BIG PRO --- Both are made in the USA of much better quality and dependability than Chinese, S. Korean, Taiwanese, or Italian manufacture.

Worthy of mention is DRE barrel pump also made in USA - in house. I've brought in a few of these very nice pumps and must say, I like some of the features with extra attention to details. These are spendy coming in 4" & 6" including 10 year warranty!!!

Get a Big Foot from Goo Voft at Alaskawildwater in Anchorage. Same as the one below I bought from Clavey two years back. Best foot pump out there.

Alaska Wildwater
    goo vogt sotaralaska@yahoo.com
    (907) 345-4308
    4721 E 113TH Ave
    Anchorage, AK 99516
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Santa brought me a 4"Carlson, but I won't have a review for you for a few more months. Brian's review is spot on. It's big and rugged....both good and bad. I got tired of the sore back from my Wonder pump.

This is a bit off the original poster's question, but since we are on the subject of pumps I'll give kudos again to whomever suggested the 4-d cell pumps for remote location inflation. I think WalMart sells them for less than $20. They won't win any speed contests, but they sure beat the heck out of doing everything manually. You can fix the pump to be hands free while you are busy with oither rigging tasks. Then just use your top off pump for final inflation.

Both?

I like having 2 pumps; and esp prefer 1 of each type. Foot pumps make the work easy. Hand pump sometimes handy for pumping in shallow water. I also favor deflation, which Brian mentioned - handy for some rafts on flyouts, but prob not needed with other raft designs.