Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lil Bob get his first big game animal on the Denali Highway! Pic's!

Thumbs up Lil Bob get his first big game animal on the Denali Highway! Pic's!

Took Bob down to harvest our subsistance caribou by Tangle Lakes. After an hour of glassing, we were able to spot a group of 17 animals thanks to Jake's eagle eyes. They were about a mile away, and we had several ponds around the Tangle Lakes area to navigate around with the snow machines. Upon finding a good place to set up, we spotted them about 300 yards off. They decided to cut at an angle in front of us, and we waited. We had 4 tags to fill. I put a cow down on the lake, then went to the job of taking two more. A small bull presented himself broadside, standing still at about 250 yards. I asked Bob if he was comfortable with the shot, and he said he was. We set him up with a good rest. We knew the .243 he was using was right on at that distance. He squeezed the trigger, and the bull jumped up on it's hind legs, and fell to the ground dead. Upon inspection, his shot went into the brisket area, and there was a nice bruise on his heart. I rounded up the other caribou and we tossed them all in the sled and headed home to mile 68. Bob was so excited about it, he's still beaming about his caribou, and his spectacular shot. Not bad for a 7 year old! All of his shooting practice has paid off, and I admit he made the best shot out of all my shots on the other animals. He's pretty proud sitting at the dinner table knowing he brought home the meat!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

That's awesome! Congrats to you and your son... great shooting Bob! That's a trophy in my book. Wishing you both many more successful hunts together.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Way to go Dad and son. Got any more pics?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks for posting Dh,
    Great job Lil’’ Bob! I always enjoy seeing the kids have success. That’s a proud little man right there…and confident! Keep up the good work Dh, and thanks for sharing!

sweet stuff....nice job bob aka white rice.
    don't suprise me on the shooting...i've met DH and see him try to shoot...HA
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Way to go Bob!! Great to see the youngster knocking down the table fare!!

Congratulations to Bob. Sounds like he did some practicing and planning and it payed off for him.

Nice shooting to Bob and congratulations on the 'bou.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

7 years old ,that's cool.I think we should call him "dead eye spike".Congads to you and your son.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Congrat Claude!!!!!!!!!!! Give that boy a big hand shake from me too!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Nicely Done Claude and Lil Bob...hope you mount him and put him right next to the porcupine...Congrats and a great shot...

Alright Bob!!!! The boys just said the other day that they miss Bob. They're still working on the .22 but I'll have to show them what Bob accomplished.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

I love this thread and your pics, Denali Hunter. I would give anything for my 9 year old to have that experience.

Congrats to Bob and you Claude on a job well done and full freezers!

Great job Bob! Hope it's the first of many, many good hunting memories.

Cool! My first kill was at 7 but it was a Wabbit!
    Great job to both of you!
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Great Job Lil Bob! Good shootin'!

Default More pic's from the hunt!

A couple of more pic's. Thanks for all the great comments. Bob and I just sat here reading them, and really appreciate all of them! Bob says thanks too!
    Bob participated from the hunt preparation, riding 50 miles each way on the snow machine, loading, hauling back, dragging and skinning the animals, including getting the hearts out. He then sat with his mom until 11pm last night packaging and labeling, and hauling to the freezer all the meat. He also helped haul all the hides and guts out into the woods.
    He did miss 3 days of home school, so he's working today on catching up all his missed work. Overall a great experience!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Congrats. Great shooting (and good eatin'). That's a memory that will last a lifetime.

Thanks so much for posting, Claude. Congrats to Bob and yourself, will be a lot of healthy meals ahead the rest of the winter. FYI, winter caribou hides make some of the best sleeping pads, no need to tan them, just stretch and dry and use. Congrats again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast