Thread: River otter on the refuge

Default River otter on the refuge

So I have located some otter holes where I am assuming they come up and hang out, There is crap everywhere around the hole and they are used frequently. I was thinking of getting some foothold traps and setting them around the hole is this something that will work or should I put a conabear type trap over the hole. Also is there any special regulations that I need to be aware of to trap on the refuge I went through the trapping regs and could find nothing stating I need a special class or anything but I just wanted to make sure.
    Thanks for the help
    Tony

Yes there are many special regulations and you do have to take a special class. I think the regs say that you must check with the property owner but don't quote me on that. In any case the property owner in this case is the Federal Gov. The refuge offers the class prior to the season opening. If you want to clarify all of this and get details it's best to contact the Refuge headquaters on Ski Hill Rd.

I was planning on putting out a few sets on the refuge as well. A few days before, I was talking with a few guys at work. And yes, the refuge does require a class in order to trap on the refuge. I missed the class obviously ... so I'll be waiting till next year. *** I guess the refuge is pretty tough when it comes to enforcing their rules ... Let me know if you hear of a 'mid season' trapping class for the refuge.

I called the refuge and talked with a lady there she did tell me I had to do the class but its a one time thing and they do it in the fall.They usually do only one class but if there is enough people they will do a second one. I gave her my contact number and e-mail and she said that they would send out a notice a month or two before the class I think they have it in the october november time frame. It sounds like its a two day thing. I hope that the dates fall on a week that I am home from work. I would like to try and set out a line and see how it goes next year.