Lost Black Lab, 10 Months old male.
    Last seen 24 January 2011
    North Pole, near Conifer and Newby Road
    Name: Jack
    If seen, Please call 488-3909

Thank You,
    Lizzie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Keep us in touch and so we know what is happening. I went through this in October myself. A few ideas:
    Get amped up now. Start producing and posting colored flyers. Get folks attention right away. Do not wait. Make them big and impossible to miss. Put them at every corner, on every post. Stuff mailboxes and paper boxes.
    Get ads out on eielsonbaseforsale.com, Fairbanks Craigslist, and Alaskaslist. I'd do an ad in the Daily Newsminer too. Its' only a few dollars.
    Call Tradio, or send them an e-mail. Go by Animal Control with an flyer which includes a photo and post it. While there, look at their lists, including the DOA list. It's better to know he is dead than never find out what happened. They will tell you about the website to go to that they use to list found animals.
    Go hard now. Assume that if you do not work hard, you'll never find him. Do not wait for him to come home on his own. I fully understand the pain and concern. My 12 year old has been gone since October. I still look for him.

ARR

Do keep us posted Lizzie. Let us know what we might do to help. Greg's advice is spot-on. Do it now. Best of luck in getting your pup back. Look for tracks in the neighborhood. Tell the Postman, the UPS driver, passersby, the police, anyone. Puppies like kids and other dogs so try those places in your area.

Jim

Lizzie,

Hope Jack is found soon! ARR & Jim offered excellent advice, and please please do keep us posted. A message has been sent to a retriever email list, North Pole vet clinic & posted a notice on Facebook, and will see if a friend will get the word out to radio stations.

With fingers & toes crossed,

Karen

Do not forget the Vet offices. Call them to see if you can e-mail a document/flyer for them to copy and post. Often they are very helpful. Get the flyers up at every local stop including gas stations, convenience stores, bus stops, businesses w/ bulletin boards.
    Again, do not wait to build momentum. Start hitting it hard right away, not later. A dog that age can cover a lot of ground quickly. You will be surprised at the number of folks that will call and be helpful if you just do your part to get the info to them.
    Best of luck,
    ARR

We just got him back, he is A-OK, Thank you to those who were looking out for him and advise on how to get him back, It all worked out great. Now there are a lot of Poster that need coming down.

Lizzie

Glad to hear the good new, congrats.

Default Jack is back at Home

Happy is a girl and her Dog
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great news! And a nice photo too! What a cute pair.

Great news! Chip him and keep him close!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Great news! Certainly get pup micro-chipped, but also put your phone number on his collar.

Jim

Good deal you got your dog back. I agree with the others that you should get him chip and if you are not going to use him as a stud have him cut. I have an electric fence around my house that is made by pet safe. It is the direct burial type and all my dogs where shock collars to revent them from getting out. It really works great as I have it set on the highest setting which stops them about 10ft before they get to it. I lost 2 dogs from vehicle strikes. One in 1997 and another in 1999. Since I installed the fence I have not lost any. The first fence I installed was above the ground in November of 1999. I just layed it across the ground and where I drove over it I placed a board on it. I use the stubborn dog collar. The largest dog that I have right now is a Lab/ Great Pyrens cross that weights in at 165 pounds and it stops him in his tracks. The cost of the fence off Ebay is around $200. Good Luck with you pup.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    Great news! Certainly get pup micro-chipped, but also put your phone number on his collar.

Jim
    +1 on putting a phone # on the collar. Turns out there are still a few good folks in the world. My pup decided to take herself for a walk a few weeks ago. We...ok I accidentally left the gate open. Anyways, she was gone about an hour and we got phone calls from two different folks telling us where she was. First was a gentleman out walking his dog. Mine decided to join them, so he called and left a message where he was walking/heading. Second message was left about 15 minutes later, she was looking in the window at Jitters. Special thanks to the folks at Jitters for looking after her till we got there. Good folks.