Thread: She is crazy but oh so much fun!

Default She is crazy but oh so much fun!

I thought you might like to see a few photos of my son and 2 1/2 year old female lab during a recent ptarmigan hunt. The day was clear, calm, and really pretty warm at 6 degrees or so. We did see a few other hunters and some caribou along with a handful of the white state bird.
    So tell me, do you think she is ready to Rock & Roll?
    WildDog.jpg

Default Good thing for the boy, I could not hit elephants.

She did better on birds than I did. She and her buddy were quite the team. Me, I only killed willows and snow and punched holes in the sky. Oh, and got to buy gas, and drive, and play chauffer. But it was a great day with my son who was getting ready to head back to AZ to college. 4 birds, lots of miles, a few other animals, and a gorgeous winter day. I'd do it all again. It might be way too long before he gets back here to hunt with us again.
    RocaEric1.jpgRoca, Eric 2.jpg

Nice - looks like a great day!

You are so right Raven, a GREAT day it was. My son had told me that he might not be back for a year. That was hard. But he is now an adult, a junior in college, with professional goals in front of him. I'm proud of him for his choices, even though it means we are now separated, and may be for some time. This was a wonderful day together. Just him, Roca, and myself on the mountain, looking for birds. Very basic, but important nonetheless.
    The dog ties us together, maybe even more than the hunt itself. Even though he has been gone at school, she adores him. And he and I love the hunt. What could be better? What could be more fulfilling?
    You all know him as Labman, a long time forum member. I know him as a son that has grown into quite a capable young man. And for the first time that I can remember, he out shot me 4 to zip. I love it. Roca and I look forward to the day we can hunt side by side with him once again.
    ARR

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    You are so right Raven, a GREAT day it was. My son had told me that he might not be back for a year. That was hard. But he is now an adult, a junior in college, with professional goals in front of him. I'm proud of him for his choices, even though it means we are now separated, and may be for some time. This was a wonderful day together. Just him, Roca, and myself on the mountain, looking for birds. Very basic, but important nonetheless.
    The dog ties us together, maybe even more than the hunt itself. Even though he has been gone at school, she adores him. And he and I love the hunt. What could be better? What could be more fulfilling?
    You all know him as Labman, a long time forum member. I know him as a son that has grown into quite a capable young man. And for the first time that I can remember, he out shot me 4 to zip. I love it. Roca and I look forward to the day we can hunt side by side with him once again.
    ARR
    Dang man... I don't have any children (the wife and I are still young), and I'm not an overly emotional person, but this post put a lump in my throat! I'm glad that you get to keep this day in your back pocket! Take care!

Sounds like an incredible day! Thanks for sharing.

Fantastic day, Greg. And my how that little boy I knew has grown. You are a lucky man indeed.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Jim

Yeah Jim, that boy has grown up and wants to follow the path that you took. All in all, it has been a lot of fun. Funny thing, when I took that picture he did not even see her airborne. I showed him the photo and he laughed hard. She is a nut. Very animated and really gets into the bird hunting scene.
    That is a classic photo of the 2 of them.
    Hoyt, the first time I took him out he was 2 years old. We walked hand in hand up the logging road looking for birds. We did not get far, nor did we see birds, but that very well may be my most memorable hunt with him. I've got lots of memories "in my pocket", each one special in its own way. This one made it in the hunting diary, that's for sure.

That Lab is ripped,, looks like a bodybuilder.. I can sense the pride and enthusiasm in your post,, kinda reminds me of my ol''man.. I'll never forget the first time i out shot my Dad,, it was a very proud day for him.
    Hope you guys have many many more great days togeather...

He better hurry up and get back to AZ, if I remember right there's only two weeks of quail season left and it sounds like he's all warmed up for it.

River Rat, That first photo is just Pure Classic, for a wall somewhere in your house or shop.

Thanks for posting and your writing about it all. Whoa, my oldest is just nine,
    and I really can appreciate guys like yourself, reminding how quick it goes.

Oh, yeah, That is one fine Son you have there, Well Done,
    (I can tell just by looking at him, that's a solid young man there)
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Yeah Slimm, she is quite the athlete. You should see her come September when she is really fit. She walks around like a mini female Arnold.
    DARN IT, I thought he wanted to get back to AZ for his College studies. And now you tell me there is a bird season! That rascal!
    Kodiak, do yourself a favor. Keep a diary. Start it now, and when you have time, go back and write stuff down from the past. You'll think you can remember every detail of every hunt, but at some point you will forget. I wish I had done it back when he was 2. I'll keep filling in the gaps as I can. The entries will not be chronological, but at least they will be there.