Thread: Frustration at it's worst...

crazedBOWhunter

Default Frustration at it's worst...

Seems like everyone I know this year has connected on a critter at some point. Lynx, fox, coyote and even a wolf has been taken by my buddies around here... (Fairbanks). Of everyone I know, I've put in more time than any two combined. Every weekend I'm spending a day out in the field (weather permitting) to connect on something this year. Call it a petty party or what you will, but I'm thoroughly frustrated and wondering if maybe I'm doing something wrong...

Start my sets up by facing my call into the wind and setting up off the side opposite of the path I took in. I play a Snowshoe Hare distress. It plays for a 1min 15secs and pauses for 45 seconds. Sometimes, the series will play for 2mins. 30secs and pausing for 1min. 30secs. Alternating between playing and pausing in that manner, it steadily increases in volume. Once it hits a pretty high volume, it slowly decreases in volume. I have this series play that way for about 40 mins. Most of the time I'm sitting between 20-35 mins. Impatience? Sure...

Everyone I've talked to that's taken critters have had them come in within 15-20mins. That's why I only sit for that long. I figure if somethings coming, it'll get here. I know Lynx can take a little while to get in, but with the combination of being cold and my impatience, I usually get up and move sets. Putting in 3-4 sets a day has been tasking, but I'm set on getting something this winter. With my available days winding down(due to work schedule), I'm asking anyone and everyone to give some tips on getting SOMETHING to respond to these calls I'm putting out. Tips, Tricks, Advice, I'll take anything at this point!!! Much appreciated to all replies!

yeah what he said. me too
    robbie

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hey robbie i called in two yotes down by my place the other weekend... to windy for the 12 ga...not much pressure out back there..take your sno go
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Crazed,
    It sounds like you're doing things right, just no takers in the areas you're calling. I might suggest you cut down on your stand time to maybe 20 to 25 minutes though. Me, personally, I'm a 15 minute stand guy and then I'm high tailing it to the next spot. It's pretty common for me to get in over 12 stands in a day. Is your impatience by chance making you get fidgety and move around more than normal? I keep absolutely still and try to not even move my head if I don't have to. In thicker stuff I'll move my head more, but I really try to just sit there and stare in the direction I think a critter will come in. Are you using your remote on your caller to change your volume levels while on stand? If so, I'd say that you just pick a good sound or make up a custom 20 minute sound sequence in Goldwave (free audio editing software) and just sit back and let the caller do the work. Tinkering around with a remote on stand not only causes unnecessary movement, but also ties up a hand that should be used to hold the gun for the shot. You don't always have to set up with the call directly into the wind. Actually, if I can, I prefer to try and setup crosswind so that I can look downwind to where I expect the animals to pop out trying to catch a wiff of something. If I'm in what I think is lynx territory, I don't even worry about the wind. The lynx I've called in seem to care less about my scent and I've had them pop out at 10 yards from me before. That's not the case with the canines, but with cats, they're all about sight hunting. I hope that helps a bit. PM me if you need anymore tips.

Hey Snowcamo how long do you give it once you get on a stand till you start to call. I am getting into an area and sitting quiet for about 5 min or so till I start the caller up. Also are you having luck in the middle of the day I have been calling from just light till about 11 then going back out at about 2:30 till dark.
    I have had luck in the past but this season is kicking my butt I have not been able to connect on anything yet this year and cant quite figure it out unless I have just not been in hearing of anything. I even bought a new foxpro firestorm hoping to up my odds but I got about 18 stands on it and nothing so far using the snowshoe distress maybe I need to go back to the hand call.
    Well the sun is just about to come out so I am heading back out again today

I start calling right away. Set the caller out, walk back to where I want to sit. Clear the snow for my insulated seat and setup the bi-pod if I'm using it. Then, push the remote and let the calling start. I'm having luck at all hours of the day. I've called in most of my coyotes from noon to 1PM it seems. This season for me has been better than any other, so I'm not exactly sure what other's are doing or what I'm doing different than before. Just the luck of being in the right place in the right time. I hope it starts coming together for you, I've gone through periods of blank stands before and all it makes me do is hunt harder and try more.

Only having 1 day a week (to hunt) makes things tough.
    IF you're calling in an area that has sign (tracks/scat), I'm talking predator sign. You might hit a rabbit heaven, but no preds in there, due to them finding ample food elsewhere. You need to call when/where the target animal can hear you. Its a crap shoot.
    IMO, if you have a good area, you could call there for 2 or 3 days in a row, not get a response and hit gold on the next day. Preds DO NOT go home to a den during the winter - they curl up anywhere they find comfortable. They cover a large territory to find food.Lots of times you'll call a spot & there's nothing within hearing distance. Sometimes, an animal may hear you, but has a full stomach & might not show interest. Or it might be warm (relitively) which I think also restricts their movements. Or someone may have called that animal the day before and left an impression (negative). There are lots of reasons you don't see animals when you hunt. The ONLY thing you can do is to keep trying, keep looking for new calling territories & change up your call sequence occassionally. Sooner or later, it will happen. Believe it.

Snowcamoman, could you address how loud your calling is and do you change volume if so what do you do?

I'm calling at 3/4 volume on my FoxPro CS-24. That's fairly loud, but hasn't seemed to deter fox, lynx, or coyotes from coming in. I edit most of my sounds and make up custom sound sequences and do some increase and decrease in volumes in the audio file, so I don't have to do it from the remote. I think with the new FoxPro "foxfade" feature, you can automatically make it vary the volume up and down if you want on models that have that feature.

crazedBOWhunter

Thanks snowcamo, appreciate the sharing of knowledge. I run the FoxPro Fury and have the sequences pre-programmed to increase/decrease volume. I'll try increasing the volume because I start out at about 1/3 volume, increase to about 3/4 and then back down but it's all over about a 40min time frame. I'll shorten it up w/ louder volume and hopefully that will help out. Also, when I think about my sets, I do fidget a bit between moving my head, or whiping snot so that could do it.

Hey quick question though, when I'm figuring out where I sit, I try to get as concealed as possible w/o obstructing too many shooting lanes. What's your take on finding a place to sit, and what type of terrain or features do you look for when considering doing a set. Do you walk in, truck or snowmachine? I just picked up a brand new Bravo 250 and am looking forward to using it to get into some places, but wondering if I should push away once I cut the machine off.

Any input from anyone appreciated. Thanks everyone for sharing... It's good to hear how others are successful!!

Crazed,
    I hunt from the truck and snowmachine, sometimes utilizing both on a hunt. As far as what I look for when I pick a stand. I watch the wind first and try to find a decent opening to setup facing into or along that opening. Then, I put the caller pointing out into that opening, crosswind if possible and setup near the far end or on the edge (behind the caller so I can see the thing all the time). I try to find some willows or brush to help break up my outline. Then, I kick the snow away so I can get my seat down on the ground and also have room to cross my legs and a place to put the bi-pod. By kicking out the snow, I lower my legs so that most animals don't see my feet, just my torso sticking up. I always wear snow camo everything (Mask, Gloves, Jacket, Bibs). If I can find a slightly elevated spot looking into an opening, I'll try to grab that first, since the high point is always handy for picking out moving animals. I'm almost thinking that your movements as slight as they might be, could be causing predators to see you before you know they're visible. You gotta keep the movement as minimal as possible, yet still have your gun up and ready for the shot. I've had Fox come flying in at 15 yards in front of me and never even had a chance to move the gun because it was 30 degrees in the wrong direction.