Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Crawdads?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    All over
    Posts
    16

    Default Crawdads?

    Awright, I can guess what the answer's gonna be and I'm sure a few comments are gonna fly, but having grown up on the bayou...is it wishful thinking that Alaska has crawdads anywhere?

  2. #2
    Premium Member Wyo2AK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Spenard
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Do you mean to eat or for bait?

    There's a few things I miss eating (perch and walleye come to mind)... but I've found enough to fill that void (halibut and salmon come to mind).
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

  3. #3
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    akguy454 orders them live for eating pm him
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    All over
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Why eatin of course!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sarasota, Florida
    Posts
    802

    Default

    I have not come across mudbugs, in mention or actuality, in my two plus decades in AK as an outsider. That simply means I look for them at Felix's or Acme's in The Big Easy; and in Anchorage or thereabouts, I don't look for them at all.

    The quality of what crawls in AK is delighfully different than the bayou; yet the Cajun's from whence you came are masters in food prep...

    Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"


  6. #6

    Default

    Meadow Creek, right by the Fireworks Stands in Houston, just north of the Big Lake turnoff on the Parks Hwy has some...gotta dip them with a dipnet, like hooligan. They are in the weeds on the bottom.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    I have to think they are not real serious about this kind of stuff, or it would have been stopped before now. Lots of stuff coming in through the commercial channels. Hydro-seeders, seafood sellers, plant nurseries, gardeners, etc. Easy Fix's for all of it, but they want to try to catch the cat, rather than keep it in bag...very silly guys these purveyors of regulation.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    I have to think they are not real serious about this kind of stuff, or it would have been stopped before now. Lots of stuff coming in through the commercial channels. Hydro-seeders, seafood sellers, plant nurseries, gardeners, etc. Easy Fix's for all of it, but they want to try to catch the cat, rather than keep it in bag...very silly guys these purveyors of regulation.
    Legislation tends to be reactionary, not preventative.

  10. #10
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    was somthing on the boobtube the other week about all the invasive carp and other fish down south... and they were coming from Asian markets... basically people planting them so they did not have to buy them...

    bet them things could eat a nest of salmon roe in a hurry... wonder howmany are really in those streams.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    Legislation tends to be reactionary, not preventative.
    Yup...and equally ineffective...it seems, judging by their track record and their own studies...ha...laughable, they pass the laws and then perform studies to prove how rediculously ineffective the law was. Good Stuff Fun Stuff
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  12. #12
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    493

    Default

    Sure there invasive,,but wouldnt they also be a food source for predators and such.

  13. #13

    Default

    Where from on the bayou? Just came up from Louisiana.

    As for carp, they were largely introduced into lakes down south to control the weeds that were choking the oxygen from the lakes, but then they became an even bigger problem - just like government to fix a problem by creating a bigger one. LOL

    As for crawfish, if there are any here, i will find them, but I think I am going to have to have them shipped overnight from back home.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    All over
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Grew up in St. Martinsville, but haven't spent much time there in recent years. I appreciate all the advice and good words but maybe I'll just try doing the shrimp thing I keep hearing about.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Meadow Creek, right by the Fireworks Stands in Houston, just north of the Big Lake turnoff on the Parks Hwy has some...gotta dip them with a dipnet, like hooligan. They are in the weeds on the bottom.
    Seriously? They can survive the winter here?

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
    Seriously? They can survive the winter here?
    Seems so...they were in dipable numbers, a few years back....Swamp fed creek Meadow Creek.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  17. #17

    Default

    Freddys in Wasilla has them in the fish case. Carrs Wasilla did sell gator.

  18. #18
    Member fishNphysician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen WA
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    The ones in found Kenai were almost certainly big red crawfish from Louisiana. They can be ordered and shipped live anywhere in the US. Before Katrina, I used to order them by the 60# bag for get-togethers with family and friends.

    The ones found in Kenai were probably released by folks unaware of the potential repercussions of introducing invasive species.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

  19. #19
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    The ones in found Kenai were almost certainly big red crawfish from Louisiana. They can be ordered and shipped live anywhere in the US. Before Katrina, I used to order them by the 60# bag for get-togethers with family and friends.

    The ones found in Kenai were probably released by folks unaware of the potential repercussions of introducing invasive species.
    From what I heard a guy in Kenai ordered some live crawfish. He is originally from Lousiana and ordered them for a crawfish boil at his house. His daughter wanted a couple for her fishtank so he gave her a couple. One of the other party attendees got ahold of one or two for their kid/kids. One of these kids released one into the creek.
    Apparently the guy who ordered them didn't know that they had released one. I also heard they seized the two in the fish tank and killed them testing if they were from the ame batch as the one adf&g had turned in. I guess the guy got mad when he found out they had killed his daughters "pets". I guess fish and game was dumbfounded when he asked them to replace or pay for replacing the pets but I don't think anything ever came of it.
    Is this really different than the people on parts of the Peninsula releasing live pheasants and wild turkeys? It all has potentially dangerous consequences for our ecosystem but, I have yet to hear of anyone being fined for it. Then again I don't always read the police reports.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  20. #20
    Member Albradley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks,Alaska
    Posts
    482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    The ones in found Kenai were almost certainly big red crawfish from Louisiana. They can be ordered and shipped live anywhere in the US. Before Katrina, I used to order them by the 60# bag for get-togethers with family and friends.

    The ones found in Kenai were probably released by folks unaware of the potential repercussions of introducing invasive species.
    Yumm Crawfish with drawn butter...Aww I miss my family reunions in louisiana
    There's a fine line between fishing....

    and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •