Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crawdads?

Default Crawdads?

Awright, I can guess what the answer's gonna be and I'm sure a few comments are gonna fly, but having grown up on the bayou...is it wishful thinking that Alaska has crawdads anywhere?

Do you mean to eat or for bait?

There's a few things I miss eating (perch and walleye come to mind)... but I've found enough to fill that void (halibut and salmon come to mind).
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

akguy454 orders them live for eating pm him
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Why eatin of course!

I have not come across mudbugs, in mention or actuality, in my two plus decades in AK as an outsider. That simply means I look for them at Felix's or Acme's in The Big Easy; and in Anchorage or thereabouts, I don't look for them at all.

The quality of what crawls in AK is delighfully different than the bayou; yet the Cajun's from whence you came are masters in food prep...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Meadow Creek, right by the Fireworks Stands in Houston, just north of the Big Lake turnoff on the Parks Hwy has some...gotta dip them with a dipnet, like hooligan. They are in the weeds on the bottom.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    I have to think they are not real serious about this kind of stuff, or it would have been stopped before now. Lots of stuff coming in through the commercial channels. Hydro-seeders, seafood sellers, plant nurseries, gardeners, etc. Easy Fix's for all of it, but they want to try to catch the cat, rather than keep it in bag...very silly guys these purveyors of regulation.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    I have to think they are not real serious about this kind of stuff, or it would have been stopped before now. Lots of stuff coming in through the commercial channels. Hydro-seeders, seafood sellers, plant nurseries, gardeners, etc. Easy Fix's for all of it, but they want to try to catch the cat, rather than keep it in bag...very silly guys these purveyors of regulation.
    Legislation tends to be reactionary, not preventative.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

was somthing on the boobtube the other week about all the invasive carp and other fish down south... and they were coming from Asian markets... basically people planting them so they did not have to buy them...

bet them things could eat a nest of salmon roe in a hurry... wonder howmany are really in those streams.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    Legislation tends to be reactionary, not preventative.
    Yup...and equally ineffective...it seems, judging by their track record and their own studies...ha...laughable, they pass the laws and then perform studies to prove how rediculously ineffective the law was. Good Stuff Fun Stuff
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Sure there invasive,,but wouldnt they also be a food source for predators and such.

Where from on the bayou? Just came up from Louisiana.

As for carp, they were largely introduced into lakes down south to control the weeds that were choking the oxygen from the lakes, but then they became an even bigger problem - just like government to fix a problem by creating a bigger one. LOL

As for crawfish, if there are any here, i will find them, but I think I am going to have to have them shipped overnight from back home.

Grew up in St. Martinsville, but haven't spent much time there in recent years. I appreciate all the advice and good words but maybe I'll just try doing the shrimp thing I keep hearing about.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Meadow Creek, right by the Fireworks Stands in Houston, just north of the Big Lake turnoff on the Parks Hwy has some...gotta dip them with a dipnet, like hooligan. They are in the weeds on the bottom.
    Seriously? They can survive the winter here?

Quote Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
    Seriously? They can survive the winter here?
    Seems so...they were in dipable numbers, a few years back....Swamp fed creek Meadow Creek.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Freddys in Wasilla has them in the fish case. Carrs Wasilla did sell gator.

The ones in found Kenai were almost certainly big red crawfish from Louisiana. They can be ordered and shipped live anywhere in the US. Before Katrina, I used to order them by the 60# bag for get-togethers with family and friends.

The ones found in Kenai were probably released by folks unaware of the potential repercussions of introducing invasive species.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    The ones in found Kenai were almost certainly big red crawfish from Louisiana. They can be ordered and shipped live anywhere in the US. Before Katrina, I used to order them by the 60# bag for get-togethers with family and friends.

The ones found in Kenai were probably released by folks unaware of the potential repercussions of introducing invasive species.
    From what I heard a guy in Kenai ordered some live crawfish. He is originally from Lousiana and ordered them for a crawfish boil at his house. His daughter wanted a couple for her fishtank so he gave her a couple. One of the other party attendees got ahold of one or two for their kid/kids. One of these kids released one into the creek.
    Apparently the guy who ordered them didn't know that they had released one. I also heard they seized the two in the fish tank and killed them testing if they were from the ame batch as the one adf&g had turned in. I guess the guy got mad when he found out they had killed his daughters "pets". I guess fish and game was dumbfounded when he asked them to replace or pay for replacing the pets but I don't think anything ever came of it.
    Is this really different than the people on parts of the Peninsula releasing live pheasants and wild turkeys? It all has potentially dangerous consequences for our ecosystem but, I have yet to hear of anyone being fined for it. Then again I don't always read the police reports.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post

Yumm Crawfish with drawn butter...Aww I miss my family reunions in louisiana
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast