Thread: Emergency Contact

Default Emergency Contact

What do you guys do on strictly walk in sheep/goat hunts for emergency communications? Is a satellite phone too heavy to consider packing every day? How about EPLB's?

Default Sat Phone

I take a Sat phone on every hunt including sheep. I scrape every ounce for less weight in my pack, but that will always be in there.

Haven't been fortunate enough to draw a sheep tag yet but when I am in the backcountry I simply let someone know where I am going and when I'm going to be back. When I floated the goodnews we brought no sat phone. When I do my goat hunt this next fall I will do the same. And most importantly I go with a partner and both of us know how to self rescue if nessisary. I think the partner is the most important part for sure.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

sat phone, everywhere.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

There's a satphone in the tent and I carry either an airplane or a marine vhf radio. These along with a couple of small flares and a signal mirror have came in handy a few times.

Default Wow, I'm speechless...

Quote Originally Posted by waterrat View Post
    ...I carry either an airplane or a marine vhf radio...
    I would recommend carrying the radio instead of the airplane. Sure, the airplane can get you out of there, but flight lessons are expensive, and you have those two huge wings that make it really hard to get through the brush while hunting. With the radio in your pocket, you can CALL someone in an airplane, so it's almost as good as actually carrying an airplane with you. But you're more mobile and will be able to carry other accessories like, say, a rifle, food, a sleeping bag, a tent, a stove and other stuff like that.

Just my take, but what do I know?

he he

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Groan.

I say again, groan.

Default Usually

Usually hunting the coastline where there are Coast Guard radio relay stations so a VHF. A float plan filed with a friend or the harbor master if I am hunting alone.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 02-23-2007 at 19:05. Reason: needed a t and deleated an e

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Smile Groan Also

I had to groan also because everyone should be able to figure out he can get all the accessories in the plane.

Sat phone every hunt. Not only is it useful in an emergency but I have used it effectively to get picked up early and to extend a hunt several days and on one occasion to let the people at my workplace know that the air taxi wasn't picking me up on schedule enabling them to modify the work schedule to cover my absence - one man deep shop.

Red face

there are v.h.f. radios that will do both aviation and marine freqs. although, not all freqs, but you will have the important ones. some radios have to have their band width opened up to accomplish this. kind of the best of both worlds. another benefit is the ability to get n.o.a.a. weather radio reports, for safety reasons.

i have a vertec and it works for me.

Question Radio's

How about this one? It doesn't say exactly what frequencies it carries but it sounds like it's more than just a marine band.....
    What brand radio's you guy's use?

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...358&hasJS=true

reuben.....

Thumbs up Sat Phone

saved us a lot of false runs by the air taxi last fall on a goat hunt. We were weathered in for 3-4 extra days, but during that time we were able to stay in contact with taxi service to apprise him of current condions in the high mountain lake and was able to get him in as the weather broke.

Thumbs up on sat phones.

Thumbs up v.h.f. radios

r.j.c.;

the cobra is only 2 watts. for a survival radio you would want 5-6 watts. brands to look for are motorola, i.c.o.m., vertec.

personally, i would not want to just my life to anythign from cabela's. m.h.o.

Thumbs up Sat Phones

Sat phones are the way to go,a thing or two to remember is to have the phone #s that will help you out ready and handy such as airlines and state troopers,i tape them to my phone,as for the vhf as cold zero stated one would want the 5 watt and be a little weary of the cheap cobra,a problem with just vhf is distance and who stands by on them,the only one that i know of in an emergency is com state Kodiak,thats state wide and the coast guard,some trooper stations do stand by on vhf but distance plays a big role.

Default Understood

Quote Originally Posted by cold zero View Post
    r.j.c.;

the cobra is only 2 watts. for a survival radio you would want 5-6 watts. brands to look for are motorola, i.c.o.m., vertec.

personally, i would not want to just my life to anythign from cabela's. m.h.o.
    Understood. I was just using the radio as a reference point so that I know which page I'm on. A sat phone is out of the question for me financially right now. Plan "B" gets used alot in my life!

reuben....

Wink comm set ups

r.j.c.

understood on the sat' phone. i do not have one either.

plan b;

quality g.p.s. with a quality v.h.f. radio

plan c

quality g.p.s. and a map and compass

plan d

if all else fails , a good will

I would take the Sat phone, I still need to get my moneys worth out of it. ...K