Thread: Best Marten Conibears

Default Best Marten Conibears

My son and I have a Marten line that we snowshoe. We are lengthening our line and would like to add some Conibear-type traps. I've read lots of posts, looked at some of the options, and am about to order Belisle 120's. Dukes seem cheap. I have some Victor 110s, but would like a quicker kill. I like the looks of the Belisle trigger, though I don't know anybody who uses them and can offer an opinion based on experience. Any thoughts? Bringing in a trapped Marten in trap to partially thaw and remove in camp is no big deal. Thanks.

If you have the money, go with the belials 100%. I have several of the 330 versions and it clamps on a beaver hard and solid. Zero gap between the jaws.. Tougher than the rest. Trigger is nicer as well as the safety. I seen some 120's at the trapper place in the valley. They already come with a cable anchor line and swivel..

Best conibear I have ever seen or used hands down.

I have the belisle 330 mags and they are a well built solid trap that you will pass on for generations. I also use the sleepy creek 120's and they haven't given me any problems. Definately don't like the dukes, the springs get weak pretty fast.

if its the instant kill your looking for then get the besiles, other then that i just use bridger and victor 120's not alot of struggle and the springs will last a good while. plus the more economy effcient so you can add more traps to your line

IMO you should alaways be looking for the most humane and quick dispatch thats possible, and Belisle's are an excellent peice of equipment worth the extra money.

IMO you should be looking for the most bang for your buck. How many traps can you afford? Will 30 or 40 victor 110s increase your catch as much as 20 belisles? Your decision.
    Here's something to consider. Marten spoil easily, especially their stomach area. A marten that dies instantly in a coni in temps of 20 or above has the potential to get some spoilage in the stomach area. A marten that dies slowly in a leghold, from hypothermia, has a colder stomach at death and is less likely to spoil.
    None of that means you shouldn't use coni's. And if you do, they should be a type with fast dispatch, as a marten that struggles in a coni is likely to get fur damage. But quick dispatch is as much about trap placement as it is about the brand of coni you use.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thank you all for your thoughtful input. Marten Trapper, you brought up some excellent points on fur quality. There's no use killing a beautiful fur-bearing animal and not getting the highest-possible quality fur from it. Thankfully, (sort of) the area we trap NE of Fairbanks is usually fairly cold once the season opens. Fur quality leads to my next question: Trigger placement, top or bottom? As a kid, I occasionally caught mink and beaver in conibears that were blemished or rubbed where the trigger hit them behind the head or on the back. Eventually it occured to me to set the trap "upside-down", and get that patch back of the chin. Should I set upside down for Marten? They are signicantly more valuable than Mink or Beaver, and I'd hate to mar them any more than necessary.

when i use conibears i do best with them placed right side up. but nothing compares to leg holds in my opinion. i have had numerous marten walk up a pole only to turn around or jump off right before they reach the conibear. i don't have this problem with leg holds. they seem to work the best. and these results have been the same whether i am using a cubby box or not.

How do you want to set the coni's? Vertical, angled, horizontal. Might try conipans and have the marten step on the pan to fire the coni.
    Some guys slide the trigger to the side far enough that the marten still fires the trap but isn't hit by the trigger.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Plan A is Plastic Flower Pots, vertically placed, facing down. If I can't scrape up a few of those in the right size, I'll make some plywood boxes and place them on my leaning poles for Plan B. I've never used the "pans". We catch about 90% of our Marten in November and December. Does anyone else see a similar trend? I think it may be because we are down in a valley, and the first good cold snap drives them to higher elevations. This spring we hope to extend our trail up the drainage and gain some elevation. The next-door creek drainages aren't trapped, and the drainage on the otherside of the divide at the head of ours little valley isn't either, at least for quite a ways, so I don't think we are cleaning out the area.

The last couple of years I have had excellent results using duke 110 magnums for marten.Kill quickly and humanly.