Thread: Animal Tazer up for sale soon.

Default Animal Tazer up for sale soon.

Just read this in the www.adn.com $2000.00 for one of these, lol.

A cops tazer can't stop a 300 lb angry man, try a 700 lb angry sow with cubs.

Forgive me if I seem sceptial But??????

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Next time i am in Delta i will come by and teach you how to copy and paist a link!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Lol, That would be good,

Id like to do a comparative use test 'round here............. compare it to Bearspray or just "Manpower' on incapatating combative drunks ~~LOL!!!~~ too much fun, probly illegal......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Id like to do a comparative use test 'round here............. compare it to Bearspray or just "Manpower' on incapatating combative drunks ~~LOL!!!~~ too much fun, probly illegal......
    head shots only
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Think you could get that thing out faster than a pistol? LOL

I am thinking along the lines of stranger, people will buy this for use on humans, lol

Doesn't do me any good as I have plenty of firearms . . .

2000.00 dollars that's a joke. You could buy several handguns, or a couple 45.70's, or shotguns, or etc. for that price. If whoever marketed these wants people to use them for protection against bears instead of guns, you think they would make them at least close to the price of a gun.

Guys, these things are meant to be used with lethal overwatch for use by park rangers, animal control, or other agencies that are responsible for wildlife. Not every situation calls for a 73-caliber, 1 oz slug. Often behavior modification is the goal. Electricity is a good way to modify behavior! Think of dumpster-diving bears or the ornery moose that won't let the kids leave school every other day. It's an alternative to bean bag rounds, roman candles, bird bombs, or other hazing devices that may become ineffective. It remains to be seen if this is a good "behavior modifier" for more than the short term. I found this link on Tazer's website: http://www.taser.com/SiteCollectionD...oster_2009.pdf Anyone contemplating this for bear protection should put that thought far from his/her mind and go buy an appropriate firearm or even bear spray.

akav8r, why should the state have to buy these and give them out to wildlife managers within the state, because I guarantee wildlife managers wont buy them out of their own pocket. The feds probably don't care because they think money grows on trees. I know wildlife managers want to try everything to keep from having to shoot a moose or bear, but if bean bags, smoke, flares, and rubber bullets aren't working I doubt a tazer will. Seems like an unnecessary expenditure for the state, feds, or any ordinary civilian that might buy these.

You may be very right. A $2000 tool ought to be shown to be effective before being bought. Example of what it's capable of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trg3GkHXsYY

Quote Originally Posted by akav8r View Post
    You may be very right. A $2000 tool ought to be shown to be effective before being bought. Example of what it's capable of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trg3GkHXsYY
    Didnt look to effective to me. Looks like a good way for someone to get hurt really bad.

Having quite a bit of training & experience with a Taser (including being tased, which is liked spending 5 seconds nail to the True Cross), I think this tase'rs best use is by someone working with cattle, particularly when it's time to work them. If you've worked cattle before, you know how owly/ugly some get when you cut out their calf for branding & shots.

As for bear or moose or even dog defense there are too many things that have to go right and a laundry list of things that can easily go wrong with a Taser deployment. AKAv8r is correct, best case scenarios (which don't usually happen), there is a second officer present who provided deadly force backup. The trouble with tasing humans is while what they are doing may or does justify the deployment of the taser, it may not justify the use of deadly force. This is why I so enjoy teaching defensive tactics/deadly force (have been for approx. 25 years), situatuions are fluid and each is different, a baby cop who can learn to have fluid calm reaction is going to be good in all phases on the street. It's very gratifying to see the light bulb come on. The ones who can't need to be washed out before an agency gets sued for something they do...

I think this taser will be give those you live in bear country another option, but you better no stop packing whatever firearms that best fits your personal pistol...

Another tidbit of info, my department price for an X-26 Taser is $850, still ridiculoiusly expensive, but much less than Taser is soaking someone for one of these things...

If you go to the Taser website and read the specs for this tool you will notice that the maximum effective range is 35 feet - 11.6 yards. With my short legs that is 13 normal paces.

If I have a bear within that distance, unless I am inside my truck or house, the last thing I want to do is shock it.

This is my favorite statement from the Taser website.

Ability to gain voluntary compliance and avert use-of-force with stronger deterrence from Warning Arc display while cartridges are loaded

Really? A bear is going to be strongly deterred by a flashing blue arc and a buzzing sound? Some bears don't react to a shot going into the ground in front of them, but the noise of a bug zapper will deter them.

When was the last time someone saw a bear voluntarily comply with their commands?

Guys I don't know how to paste an artical, but you have to check out what the www.adn.com reported. There was a moose that was rescued by some, and they ( F&G) thought it would die. It has been seen with the rope around its neck, and they want to test this taser on it.

Also at www.newsminer.com

Quote Originally Posted by zeda34 View Post
    Didnt look to effective to me. Looks like a good way for someone to get hurt really bad.
    It was effective as long as it was operating. As soon as the operator turned it off or it timed out, the animal got back up. He could have immediately pressed the trigger again and kept it down. Yeah, the reality of a taser or a stun gun isn't like the movies; you don't pass out from the shock or convulse like your having a seizure. Ideally, the person/animal locks up and is helpless for the duration of the shock. I don't want to be around a bear when the juice quits! I hear some of the made-for-the-public self defense tasers run for like 30 seconds allowing you to leave the area before bad guy can get up. That sounds like a better option for the Fairbanks moose scenario.

It's been tested in Anchorage....or at least a similar version (see the ADN link). However I think the bear hit another house the next day or two and got shot. So it seems it might end the current scenario, but won't modify longterm behavior.

http://www.adn.com/2010/07/22/137802...-off-bear.html

(including being tased, which is liked spending 5 seconds nail to the True Cross),

Good description

I to have had extensive training on the Taser and have "rode the lightning". I thought it was the worst 5 seconds of my life. I'd suck down a whole can of pepper spray before being Tased again.

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    2000.00 dollars that's a joke. You could buy several handguns, or a couple 45.70's, or shotguns, or etc. for that price. If whoever marketed these wants people to use them for protection against bears instead of guns, you think they would make them at least close to the price of a gun.
    I AGREEE!!!!! but then again some people just want to scare it with a taser and not kill it with a gun.. But if a bear is putting your life at danger all bets are off... right??