Thread: Northern Glacier Adventures?

Default Northern Glacier Adventures?

Some buddies are thinking about booking a float hunt for moose with Northern Glacier Adventures. We would be starting inside of Katmai National Park, floating to the edge of the park and then start hunting from there. It's a 66 mile float down the King Salmon all together.

Anybody have any experience with these fellas?

-Dave

No experience with these guys, but I have floated that river several times.
    It is an easy float and like you said starts in the katmai park, you float about 5 miles down river on a small stream ( contact creek) to the actual King Salmon river.
    Just past where you enter the king Salmon river you can begin to hunt.
    This is a Moose only. The caribou are gone from this region for the most part. There may be a few wolf around, but not many.
    It is a salmon river so you may see or run into a few bears, but during your float, they will be mostly looking for berries, as the king salmon river is Glacial and the salmon spawn in the tributary streams.
    over the years it has recieved a fair amount of hunting pressure and a few outfitters were renting rafts to float the river, I know that the guys over at Becharof lodge at coffee point were sending some rafters down for the past several years, but hunting for moose has really slowed down. What seems to have happened is that it gets more float trips by far than it used to, and most important is that the area is about void of any trees other than the actual river corridor and those trees are almost all water willow and low alder. Off the river itself is open tundra. the top portion of the river has a few hills with some Alder thickets but taking a moose more than a half mile from the river is really a bad idea. Not easy walking with sedges and tussocks , and lots of ponds and water logged areas . If you do go, try to call any moose you can to as close as possible to the river. The Brown bears in this area are out on the hills eating berries, like I said, and any moose kill along the river corridor they will find in pretty short order, so getting the meat to the boat quickly is important.
    I would contact the Fish and Game guy in King Salmon for getting harvest reports from this river. I would think they would be pretty low compared to other river systems.
    Also some years ago the state started a trophy winter Moose hunt for this area. more than a few hunting guides are pushing this winter hunt, as the Moose are gathered along the rivers in the willows and the pilot guide can fly out on skis to where the moose are. land and camp over night and take an easy moose the next day. Many of the Moose that stay in the Katmai park mountains come down to the lower river valley in the winter only to be hunted in December.
    That Winter Hunt alone has really put the hurt on the river bottom areas of Unit 9 and in my opinion I would like this winter hunt to end.
    One Guide outfitter pilot from Soldotna / Bristol Bay has been advertising this winter hunt on the radio the past couple of winters trying to get the locals to go out after these trophy moose hunts in december.
    I would do my homework with the fish and game on this hunt myself. I have not been over on that river for 3 or 4 years now since two commercial outfitters started renting rafts for this river, and I could see the Bull moose population had taken a big dive.
    I do not know the outfitter, and can not tell you about their operation, but I have done this river many times. And I will not be back hunting moose on it anytime soon.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Thanks for the great input!

Stay away hunted in 09