Thread: Whose working on the 3rd most important item for a successful hunt?

Default Whose working on the 3rd most important item for a successful hunt?

Others might disagree with me on the three most important things within our control to bring about a successful, but here's my list in order.
    #1 The right area(the game is there)
    #2 The right plan (Timing, equipment, transportation, meat care, etc.)
    #3 Physical conditioning.

So who's working on #3, & how are you going about it?
    I've let my fitness level drop horribly in the last couple of years. I'm a pastor & spend most of my time sitting. I'm sitting in the office, in someones home, or having coffee with someone, & it's telling on me. I used to do a lot of mountain biking, but haven't made fitness a priority in my schedule over the last couple of years. I've dropped 10# in the last few weeks, but still want to drop about another 25.
    Just have to be committed to the exercise time.

So do you guys think fitness is that important for a successful hunt (not just sheep & goats, but moose & black bear too), especially for those of us who rely on self powered ways of getting around the woods, & if so how are you getting in shape for the year?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default ...best Method...

...a Weighted Vest On An Inclined Treadmill And Start Training Yourself To Get Less Sleep...
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Wink Past The Lips Straight To The Hips!

Vance, If you find a cure bottle it! LOL I try to walk 1.5 miles each day except Sundays. Hunting season comes, I'm a hunting machine, retired, able to hunt for big game 3 months, 5 to 6 day a week, ducks, and geese after that. If I'm away from the fridge in the woods I"ll do much better. At the end of hunting season I'm in my best shape every year. You almost have to find some form of exercise that you can do right at home, or you will start to slip back to the bad habits! At 54 my body does not respond to weight loss as it used to, at least with me. Diet and exercize, the two bullet words I guess. Push yourself try not to wait till evening or you might be to spent to work out, run, bike ect. Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

y2kadle, I average a little less tha 6 hrs now & at 47 here in a few months I'm finding that less than that just doesn't work anymore!!
    I checked out those vests & they seem like the cat's meow. Right now I have about 30# in the backpack & wear it anytime I'm up & doing a bunch of moving around. I make coffee in the church basement coffee pot rather than the one on the main floor where my office is & make myself wear the pack everytime I go up & down the stairs. I'll throw another gallon jug of water next week. There ae 3 different stairwels that come up from there so when I have 15 minutes I can do short laps indoors.
    Longhunter, you are right. It's diet & exercise. Plain & simple. The diet I started working on 3 weeks ago, now I need to get the exercise thrown in.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default sleep

Quote Originally Posted by y2kadle View Post
    ...a Weighted Vest On An Inclined Treadmill And Start Training Yourself To Get Less Sleep...
    Actually, it's been shown that too little sleep can cause health problems and lead to obesity. Probably the two biggest health issues that contribute to being overweight are exhaustion and not drinking enough water. Being sedentary is up there too.

Wink

Interesting Todux, I don''t drink enough water, and I've herd of people with undiagnosed diabetes loosing weight because they drink so much water? Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default Practice

Not that kill an animal is the most important aspect of the hunt if you miss you miss. Go to the rifle range and shoot 200 rounds and not all from a brench rest. Shoot standing, sitting, kneeling and prone. Understand the ballistics of your rifle and your capabillies.

I've been fighting with a weight problem for a while now, and it's not just fat. I've tried various forms of exersize and dieting and I loose fat, but my weight stays about 240-260 pounds. I've always been big, and I was a weightlifter and boxer in school, so I know a little about staying in shape, but I just can't seem to get my weight down. Anyone else have a similar problem?
    Chris Willhoite

Default Routine

I do a 2.5-3mph walk on the treadmill at 10 degrees with a 30 pound pack for 30 min. a night. Everyother night I lift a little bit too. Shoot the bow 2-3 times a week.

BUT, I am not loosing any weight doing so. Just building bulk I guess. I can see the tone difference in the legs since I started and lost 1 1/2" on the waist. But no weight loss.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 02-23-2007 at 14:15. Reason: Extra T

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Chris
    I to was a power lifter and instructor in my younger days. Coached High School wrestling for 22 years and there is one fact that I am sure off.
    Unless it passes my lips I don't gain weight. I also have started eating a final meal no less than 4 hours from bedtime. Cutting out soda for me was an instant help and staying away from soda.

I have a new winter pass time that has made a huge difference. When younger I use to spend a lot of time on the snow. The past five years not much going on in the winter. I broke out the ole snow shoes and have been doing several miles every weekend. First two times my lower back wondered what I was doing to it. Now I snowshoe every weekend and walk five flights of stairs several times a day every day. Vance some of us are just blessed with a short stocky torso! Another thing I have done is started eating 5 small meals a day instead of packing it in, 3 times a day.
    Not feeling packed and have a lot more energy. Water, Water, non-chlorinated water!!!
    By the way when you do all the above do not get scared. We men have lots of inches to loose before we see a weight change. With excercise
    we will see a weight gain as muscle weighs much more than fat. We will be building muscle bulk.

Default In shape last year...

Last winter, I won a goat permit, and I knew I had to get in shape. Started at #212 on March 1st. Bought a treadmill with all the bells and whistles, set up a tv/dvr right in front of the treadmill so I could watch hunting video's. You have to make it so comfortable, yet a workout, that you forget your working out. I didn't wear a vest or anything, but I just walked on the treadmill at 3.5 mph for one hour a night, sometimes with an incline, sometimes not. I just made myself, as soon as I walked in the door after work, go out and do it. Once I get into my chair, the night is over.
    It was making a huge difference very quickly as far as I felt, but not losing much weight. I then went into counting calories, and a little studying on what foods are REALLY bad for you. Found that those small bags of chips I used to eat 3 or 4 of at work every single day were 280 calories each! Then, a couple packs of grandma's cookies... another 300 calories per bag. Then, add a breakfast, lunch, dinner, ice cream before bed I realized I was taking in nearly 5000 calories every day!!!! We are only supposed to take in 2000. So, I just cut out most of those bags, packed bannana's (80 calories), and half a subway sub (200). It's amazing how full you can be with a lot less. Just matters in what you eat. Anything processed (chips,cookies,noodles,etc, basically anything white is bad, including bread) your body digests very easily and rapidly, because the breakdowns occured in the factory, not your body. So it breaksdown quick, and your hungry as heck again in an hour.

Short story long.... I got down to 180 pounds in 6 months. I didn't push myself, I didn't exercise every day, and I still ate a good dinner of whatever I want every night. I didn't join any kind of diet program or anything.

My best suggestion is to do what I did. Don't sweat a hard core diet, and if you want to eat a really good meal a couple of times a week, do it. Just spend an extra 15 on the treadmill. Make it fun. I also read while I'm on the treadmill, which is what I'm going to be doing with my new sheep hunting books that should be showing up any day.

Hope this helps someone. I know it did me.

Default And....water

And I added water to my diet. I've never drank water in my life, unless it was coffee flavored. Now, I drink about 6 glasses day.

Default Good advice

Well Rev. Vance,
    This all sounds like good advice to me! I to was a hefty fella for a bit...lots of water...lots of walking...I started with the weighted pack like you about a month ago. I'm up to 80lbs walking to work(only a half a mile) and I climb a small mtn here in kodiak at least once a week with 40 - 50lbs and try to run 2-3mi's once a week too. You'd be suprised how much different it is carrying the weight off of a hard dry surface make a difference in working those stablizing muscles! If you can get outside for the walks, out in what you'll be hunting in...if not a treadmill is always good.

Good luck Rev!

(PK)

Default sheep shape

I'm going on my first sheep hunt and although I'm in fair shape due to hunting goats I want to be tip top for this. I just busted out a few sets of squats and shot my bow in between sets to simulate as best I can a real shot...heart rate, out of breath, tired. shaking...it's a good physical and mental exercise. I plan on doing this every other day or so.

I also will be hiking with the weighted backpack more often.

I too spend most of my days in a chair. I do computer work. Lots of different ways to go about getting in shape. I like to mix it up for variety sake. But I think the most important thing is making fitness a part of your lifestyle year around. As opposed to sitting around all winter and spring, doing a little in the summer and then trying to "hurry up and get in shape" for the big hunt in the fall. In the winter I downhill and cross country ski, go running with my dog, lift weights (squat rack, bench, etc. in the house), ride the stationary bike or run on the treadmill. One thing about treadmills though. They are nothing like real running, walking or hiking. Great if it's all you have but if the weather permits get out under your own power.

Also my wife has an excersice tape that is basically 45 minutes of stepping on and off a 12 inch box, combined with lunges while holding various wieghts. It's about 350 reps of squats/lunges. It's a real butt kicker. Helps with balance also. In the summer I ride my bike as much as possible instead of driving, run some, stick with the weights, go hiking, etc. All of this has to be balanced with what else is going on in life though so that I don't overtrain. If I ski my butt off on a weekend I don't jump in the squat rack on monday, I rest a day or two. Likewise I don't "squat till I puke" on friday if I'm going to ski on saturday. This 47 year old body can't recover like a 20 year old.

This allows me to maintain a good level of fitness year around. Then, it is much easier to do specific training in the summer for example like getting into sheep shape- lots of hiking working up to a 85+ lb pack. Then, after hunting season I have a good fitness level for moving in to specific training for downhill skiing like lots of squats, lunges, plyometrics, etc. Then spring rolls around and I have a good fitness level as I move in to summer activities, etc. So the cycle goes.

It's not an event, it's a lifestyle.

Have fun!

Perry

Thumbs up 20 rep squat routine

Quote Originally Posted by juneaubow View Post
    I just busted out a few sets of squats and shot my bow in between sets to simulate as best I can a real shot...heart rate, out of breath, tired. shaking...it's a good physical and mental exercise. I plan on doing this every other day or so.
    Ever do a 20 rep squat routine? Man it's killer if you do it right. Start a 6 week cycle of sqatting about every 3 or 4 days if you are fully recovered from the previous routine. Start your weight out at about 40 percent of your 1 rep max. I don't squat over 300 anymore so I start a cycle at 135.

Anyway, do a couple warmup sets and then crank out 1 set of 20 deep perfect form squats. The first routine or two will feel easy. Do some upper body weights and call it good. Your building momentum. Up the weight by 10 lbs on your 20 rep set on the rest of all the routines. By the time you get up to 205+ you'll be in the zone. Depending on where you started.

To get an idea of what your in for take a weight that you currently do three sets of ten that makes you work for it and crank out 1 set of 20 instead- perfect form, full squats. By the time you get to number rep 15 you should be sucking wind and it should be all mental. Your body will say enough. Keep going!! Between reps suck in 3 or 4 breaths (you will probably have to anyway if your doing things right) and then crank out another rep PERFECT FORM - NO CHEATING!. When you hit number 20 you should be seeing stars, gasping for breath and your legs will be like jello and you should be hanging on the bar so you don't passout and fall over. That's what I'm talkin about!!!

Anyway, that's where you want to end up in your cycle, total exhaustion. I usually get to around 225-235 for my 20 rep max. Then, take a week off and start a cycle of heavier weights, fewer reps working it up. For me I end up being able to crank out 3 sets of ten at 275. Then I may do a couple routines working up to 300+ but not too often anymore. My back doesn't like the heavier weight. If I can high rep 275 I'm good to go.

If your squating 400 then obviously you would start the cycle higher and end up heavier. I know a guy who works his way up to 20 rep sqauts with 325. Talk about sqautting like a wild man.

Perry

Smile

Sheep hunting is 85% mental and 15% physical, its the mind that will tell you to stop short,the body always has enough fuel to take a peek over the next ridge,but the mind tells you to stop short,it's telling you i'm tired,lets go back to camp. Don't get me wrong here,i think being in shape is great but you got to have that mental strenght....if i had to choose one or the other i'd take the mental over physical....

It's not just white bread that's heavily procesed. Wheat bread is as well, unless it says whole wheat. Eating some processed grains is ok, as long as you eat only a little and eat some whole grains as well, like oatmeal or cornmeal. A resource that I've just discovered that looks helpfull is the USDA's new food pyramid. You put in you age weight and height and it recomends a diet and exercise program to help keep you healthy.

http://www.mypyramid.gov/
    Chris Willhoite

I am lucky that I have a job that keeps me in peak physical condition. I work for the Federal government and spend my day jumping to conclusions, running in circles, and dodging the knife eveyone is trying to slip into my back.

I plan to retire in a year so I must find a new way to keep the weight down. Maybe I will just hunt a lot. Haha.

I've done lot of hunting all my life. Several years ago, a bum knee caused a huge reduction in my activity level and my weight peaked. I had to modify my hunting methods. I even bought one of those hated 4-wheelers. Now I love it.

Over the last 4 years I have lost 85 pounds on ther Atkins diet. I highly recommend it. I'm a walker, by nature. I try to walk year round. I park at the end of lot. I walk to the next store. If I have business down the street, I walk down there as well. I take the stairs every chance I get.

Walking in the winter is dangerous because of the ice so I like to join a gym. Walk a little and lift some weights.
    Last edited by bustedknee; 02-25-2007 at 13:09. Reason: Correction