Thread: I'm new

Default I'm new

Hey there,
    I'm originally from Mid Illinois and am looking to start hunting up here. I recently purchased a 6 wheeler (MaxII) and am going through that to make sure everything is up to snuff. Thinking a float trailer would be a cool and functional addition. What I'm really looking for here is a mentor. I've been hunting since I was old enough to shoot effectively (10-11) but my rifle experience is extremely limited. That is a problem. I own a browning 30-06 with a middle of the road scope. Haven't shot it much but plan to use this summer for that. Alaska is very different in the hunting regs, land zones, as well as the game harvested. I would like to see if there is a safety course and an overall hunting alaska course out there that would help a newbie like myself. Also any sort of know how would help of course. lets face it, we're talking about a 1500-2000 pound animal. Thats no white tail. I'm interested in any and all game out there. Thanks
    Last edited by Brian M; 01-24-2011 at 15:02. Reason: fixing text problems

Welcome to Alaska and welcome to this forum. Fish and game offers hunter safety courses and they also have a great video on sizing up moose and another one on field dressing them. If I were getting started up here I would spend a lot of time on this forum and checking out the Fish and Game for resources.

I don't know about the mentor part but I would be glad talking about hunting and doing some local black bear hunting. Have you been here a year yet?

Moose,
    I'm in for most anything, Shoot me an email and I'll get back with you. I've been in the state for almost 4 years this time with 4 years before.

Hey nemad. Welcome to the brotherhood
    There is a F&G hunter ed class on Saturday January 29th. Go to the F&G office and sign up, it will cost $10. After you get that card you will be able to hunt all around Eagle River and ACWR with a shotgun. You may have access to some moose hunts you otherwise would not, I'm not sure.
    Good luck!

tailwind,
    ok maybe a stupid question but what and where is the F&G office? I've heard of and been caled a FNG but not sure if i'm following. Ha

ok..ok...hahahaa Google saved me. Fish and Game. HAHAHAHAHA. I swear I'm not as dumb as that sounded before. Its monday!

Ned (or Mac...or ynnad?) - Back in November we had a little gathering of folks at Pizza Man in Eagle River. It started as a way to help another new guy out, but grew into more of a social gathering in addition to some good hunting talk. Perhaps we need to do another sometime soon. If it happens, I'll be sure to let you know.

I also live in Eagle River and am always happy to sit down over a coffee or a beer to talk hunting. I don't have any great wisdom or spot on a map that will lead you to a sure thing, but if you want to bounce ideas off one another and look at maps, just let me know.

Brian,
    Sounds awesome! Please do let me know if there's a big get together or just a bite to eat.
    Danny_Camden

Danny, the Anchorage Fish and Game(f&g) office is located at Raspberry and C st. in Anchorage
    The address is 333 Raspberry Road, Anchorage - (907) 267-2100 I don't think there is an office in ER.

Regs are whole heartedly enforced here, carefuly read about any game you want to target and note seasons and limits.
    Generally bunny/grouse hunting is good for getting a feel for the area, but preds are popular this time of year also.

Take Brian up on that offer, that's your best bet for finding some neat spots.

Well, you have a good, all around rifle, and an excellent all around Alaska Cartridge....now ya just gotta shoot, shoot , shoot, then post .

It can get weird after that, but dont take anything too seriously here ~~LOL!!~~ just have fun!

Good Hunting to you~!!!~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by nedmac_ynnad View Post
    Brian,
    Sounds awesome! Please do let me know if there's a big get together or just a bite to eat.
    Danny_Camden
    I want in on that... I'll bring my own map!

Welcome to the forum, Danny. You can do it all with that 30/06 of yours. First things first... get a copy of the regs and start reading. Some excellent books on the forum bookstore as well for a little nighttime reading.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Welcome. This should keep you busy for awhile.
    http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/

Gents,
    thanks for all the excellent feedback. Definately going to try for a kitchen pass for the 29th. I did want to ask about my 6wheeler. Its a MaxII 6x6. I got an excellent dealon it soI decided to jump but talking around, I'm hearing a 6x6 is not the best way to go for a hunting vehicle. Basically the most prevelent argument is that the 6x6 won'tbe able to take me through standing trees and rocks and is pretty much limited to swamp/marsh areas. Thoughts? Anybody out there use a 6x6 to hunt with? Experiences?
    Thanks Danny

IMHO, your feet are the best mode of traspo you have for hunting. Use the 6 wheel for getting you most of the way, and strike out on foot in the thickets. That's really the way most hunt anyway. Plus, it's low impact if you are using existing trails.

Max 6x6 there nice when they work, but have to stay on top of things namely the chains,Get to know how to change pins, and tension now before going out in the field with the thing. Maintance is the key on that type of machine,