Thread: Large group charter options for WHITTIER

Default Large group charter options for WHITTIER

I'm helping someone track down options for a large group fishing trip (2 days fishing, mid-July, about 40 people) in Whittier this summer. I've spent a lot of time out there over the years but never with a charter. I've googled up most of the major operators out of Whittier, and found a little bit of information searching these forums, but I need more first-hand feedback.

Looking for input from folks with recent experience with any charter outfit in Whittier. Given the size of this group, we'll likely be needing several outfits to accomodate the group.

(Since the forum admins frown on negative opinions, feel free to PM me if necessary).

I certainly understand that fishing inside the Sound can be hit-or-miss and the better fishing can mean significant run times to/toward the entrances. I'm sure we're likely to have a mix of folks...some will be serious about fishing and be willing to make the long haul...and others less concerned with loading up on fish and more inclined to relax, sightsee, and maybe catch a few fish...boat assignments can be made accordingly.

Thanks,
    Art.

I setup a group trip out of Whitter last summer, a dozen folks looking to run to the gulf for larger butts and lings. PM and I'll share what I found.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

There aren't many options out of Whittier to begin with, and I can't think of any that would accommodate that number of people.

I hope you find something, though. I love cruising out of Whittier, and it's a joy to show off to visitors. Halibut fishing the last few years in the sound has not been great, so hopefully you'll have better luck than me.

JMO- I think it would be much easier to book out of Seward considering the number of people you plan to have. Have not had any experience with Whittier charters, but I have in Seward & know Seward has a great number of charter services. Some of the services offer charters for 16 people.

Thanks for the help so far. They have done this event in Seward for a while and wanted to change things up a bit and see some different country. From what I've researched and the contacts I've already had, I think Whittier has the capacity to handle this. I hope.

If some of the members of your group really don't want to fish and just want to be out on the water, you might want to contact Sound eco adventures. Great captain, great boat and he really knows the sound.

Try calling Honey Charters, they've got a few big boats that could handle your crowd.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Steve
    I think they shut down for good last year.

Yeah, Honey Charters' wesbite heads with this, "As of December 31, 2010 Honey Charters will be closing their
    charter operation in Prince William Sound." and lists assets for sale.

Pete and Marilyn, owners of Honey Charters decided to make the well deserved choice of retirement. They ran a top notch operation, and they will be missed in PWS.

I heard they were good people and was planning on using them this summer, who else has this type of service in Whittier? Mainly looking for a good water taxi.

Well, you always have the option of purchasing one of their landing crafts so you never have to look for a charter again.

I'm not familiar with any other similar operations in Whittier, but I am sure there is someone there that will provide a service for you.

Lazy otter charters does drop offs and water taxi services. Owners name is Mike.