Thread: Fish & Game Board 2011

Default Fish & Game Board 2011

http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/f...prop-final.pdf

Check out Proposal 315 Clarify restrictions on use of sport, personal or subsistence caught shellfish by owner,operator,or employee of a lodge, charter vessel, or other enterprise that furnishes food, lodging, or sport fishing guide services.

I like it, I'd like to see it extended to fin fish as well
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Its put in by the Department of Public Safety, I am guessing it has very good chance of passing.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I like it, I'd like to see it extended to fin fish as well
    If it were up to you we'd have to have a log book and record every time we had a bite.

It's nothing nefarious. It simply prevents sport/PU/subsistence-caught fish from being used for commercial purposes. If food is part of the lodging (room+board) deal, then using sport/PU/subsistence-caught fish is wrong...unless it's the client's own fish being cooked for them by the lodge operators.

My question to fish and game was about giving crew fish to charter customers. The board question was from a trooper that transfered in to Whitter from South East Alaska where I believe it is illegal for Charter Captains and crew to give sport caught shrimp to customers.

Mr. Petre: Unless expressly prohibited by ADF&G emergency order that a Charter Boat Captain or Crew can not retain fish while paying clients are on board the vessel it would be legal for a captain or crew to give their catch to anyone they choose, whether they be a paying customer, friend, relative or the like. This is why over the last several years charter boat captains and crews have been prohibited from retaining fish, the proviso being that if they are not allowed to retain a fish then there is nothing for them to give away.

There are two ways to address this problem, the first is to prohibit retention by captain and crew which we have done over the last several years in areas 2C and 3A, and the second is to submit a statewide proposal to the Alaska Board of Fisheries that prohibits the practice all together for all anglers regardless of the circumstances. This second option is available to you with a deadline in early April, 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    My question to fish and game was about giving crew fish to charter customers. The board question was from a trooper that transfered in to Whitter from South East Alaska where I believe it is illegal for Charter Captains and crew to give sport caught shrimp to customers.

Mr. Petre: Unless expressly prohibited by ADF&G emergency order that a Charter Boat Captain or Crew can not retain fish while paying clients are on board the vessel it would be legal for a captain or crew to give their catch to anyone they choose, whether they be a paying customer, friend, relative or the like. This is why over the last several years charter boat captains and crews have been prohibited from retaining fish, the proviso being that if they are not allowed to retain a fish then there is nothing for them to give away.

There are two ways to address this problem, the first is to prohibit retention by captain and crew which we have done over the last several years in areas 2C and 3A, and the second is to submit a statewide proposal to the Alaska Board of Fisheries that prohibits the practice all together for all anglers regardless of the circumstances. This second option is available to you with a deadline in early April, 2011.
    Below is a link the the emergency order prohibiting retention of fish by skipper and crew that was issued in 2009.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...alt_guides.pdf

Below is the justification for the emergency order.

JUSTIFICATION:
    The Pacific halibut Guideline Harvest Level (GHL) for charter boat anglers within Southcentral Alaska was exceeded each of the years 2004-2007. The 2008 charter harvest in Area 3A (Kodiak to Cape Spencer) was projected to be less than the 3.65 M lb GHL, due in part to a Department EO issued in 2008 prohibiting retention of halibut and other fish by guides and crew members in Southcentral Alaska during a portion of the season. In October 2008 the North Pacific Fishery Management Council approved a catch-sharing plan to allocate halibut between charter and commercial fisheries. This catch sharing plan will eventually replace the current GHL management. In the meantime, the Council chose not to take action to implement additional management measures in Area 3A to keep charter harvest within the GHL, conditional on a commitment from the Department to continue to prohibit guide and crew harvest. This action to prohibit retention of fish by guide and crew is issued under the authority granted to the Department by the Board of Fisheries to regulate harvests within established allocation guidelines (5 AAC 75.003(4)).

The emergency order was not issued in 2010 because it was anticipated that prohibiting skipper and crew harvest would not be necessary to keep the charter harvest within the GHL.