Thread: best backpack hunting 15x56 bino/ Minox 15x56? or Vortex

Default best backpack hunting 15x56 bino/ Minox 15x56? or Vortex

the Minox looks good but I am concerned it doesn't have ED glass how much of a difference will this make in low light and at long range compared to say the Vortex 15x56 Kiababs. Can't afford any of the big 3. Anyone using the Minox 15x56, how is it workin out for you?

You simply can't beat the price point of the Minox but if you have money and time then look for Zeiss 15X60. They are out there. They were the standard and are better than the big SWARO 15X58s. The big Doctor Optiks are decent as well. Zeiss sure went wrong when they discontinued importing them into the US.

The big Leica Geovid is also an excellent big binocular but they have a shade of yellow to the viewing.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

The Vortex HD glass is suppose to be the best glass to come out of Japan. Many people are saying it is almost the equal of the German glass, but definately not $1000+ worse.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Why such a huge pair of binos? They get really tough to stabilize once past 10x. I honestly have never wanted for a pair of binos that were more than 10X.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I would not have purchased my Swaro 15X56 binos. I won them in a raffle. They are awesome. I would not take them sheep hunting though. I even tried them on the boat in PWS. With relatively flat water they work great due to the large objectives. With such a large field of view your eye can follow your "target."

Even 10Xs are great off of a good tripod. A pair of big eyes works if you have a good sheep partner. You haul the spotter they haul the big eyes and flip for who cares the tripod. They are great if you are spending a lot of time glassing.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Anyone have a comparison between the Kowa and Vortex?

Yup, that is a huge set of binos, one I would never carry. I like my 10x28 just fine, owned them for years and have never wished for anything larger or heavier. Science determined that a person sees roughly 25% of what they are looking at any given time, I have a tendency to agree based on experience. To that note I think binos with such a large field of view encourage one to scan terrain to quickly and increase the chance of missing what they wish to find, but one may be able to temper that by self training perhaps. Keeping that in mind I believe, at least from a personal point of view, that a smaller field of view allows for a more thorough inspection of the given area, even through a 28mm objective there is more than one can process immediatly.

I agree totally. I use my 10x42's for just about everything. I usually spot critters with them, then switch to the spotter to judge the animal. The only time I carry a spotter is for sheep hunting. My binos have served perfectly well judging moose, bears, and deer because I rarely judge them past 200 yards.

Heres an article on the subject.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/index.html

That article does nothing to convince me that "big eyes" are any better than a good spotter. Except for that paragraph where a 22 yr. old guy saw more deer with the binos than two middle aged guys did with spotters. I bet if they switched the 22 yr old guy would still win. Hell, my 14 y.o. sees stuff with the naked eye that I have trouble finding with my 8X and 10X binos at times. Nor did they say if they were backpacking in, which it looked like they weren't. If it goes on my back, it's going to be light and 8 or 10X binos are the best compromise for actual backpack hunts. The part about tripods for binos...well, duh If you are convinced you need a spotter AND a set of packable binos on a backpack hunt, I can certainly see switching the spotter for a set of those "big eyes". Judging the sheep of a lifetime, pass the spotter please

You don't say where you are located, but if your backpack hunting takes place in Alaska, chances are sheep and/or goats will be part of the equation. These critters often live in some pretty big country, but neither species is particularly difficult to spot from a distance. Here's a scenario; you are on a sheep hunt and are glassing from a position where you can see into several drainages. At the head of two separate drainages (in opposite directions from each other) you spot what appear to be bands of sheep, but each band is several miles away. Will your "big eyes" give you enough magnification and resolution to tell which band of sheep has the full curl ram and which does not? Same with goats... not hard to spot them, but pretty darned tough to tell which billy is bigger than the others.

For roughly the same weight as most 15x56 binoculars and a tripod, I have a 10x43 binocular, lightweight tripod, and 15-45x60 spotter. I find the animals with the binos, then get out the spotter to tell me if that three mile hike is worth the trip. It's no good chasing after sub-legal rams if you don't have to, and I'd rather have the spotter to save me unecessary miles and time wasted chasing animals I can't (or don't want to) shoot.

Just food for thought. If the type of backpack hunting you do lends itself to packin' these monsters around I'd lean toward the Vortex as the ArmorTek lens coating might offer a little extra protection for the lenses in a backcountry setting, and the XD glass won't hurt either. If cost is a big issue, the Minox BL 15x56 BR is 1/2 the cost of the Vortex, but I've never seen a pair so can't offer any opinion as to their quality.

Good luck!

the best sheep hunting binocular, given weight vs. performance, bar none is the Leica Ultravid 10 x 32 - I own a pair of Minox and they are the most "bang for the buck" I have ever seen, and in German glass ! Personally, I use a Leica Geovid 10 x 42, a "little" heavier but I made up for that with a Kimber Montana to balance it out - GOOD 10 x 42 glass will get you anything you want or need and a "good" lightweight spotter for judging (if guided then the guide should be carrying his own GOOD spotter) I bought a 15 x 56 binocular to replace my spotting scope and it doesn't get used that much (except at the range) because for carrying 95% of the time a light spotting scope works for me best BUT if I will be spending alot of time sitting a long distance spotting (like Coues' hunting, etc) then the 15 x 56 is alot easier on MY eyes

I agree ,for me 15x56 and backpacking have no business being in the same sentance.