Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our new Moose and Salmon chaser

Default Our new Moose and Salmon chaser

http://www.meanchicken.net/webmain/f...hp?f=39&t=4051

Will be flying down to Seattle the first of April to close the deal with the owner and then have the boat put on the ferry in Bellingham. Once she arrives a sand trap and stomp grate will be installed as well as a VHF and she should be ready to go.
    Am glad we decided to explore used options after our first deal fell through. A heck of a lot of boat for a lot less money!
    Now just need to save the cash to feed her gas for the Koyukuk trips, lol!
    Since she has a 1/4 inch bottom might even get attempt to run the Klutina and Cooper after I gain the experience needed.
    Tennessee

Wow, that's a stunning boat, Randy. Now you're in the same situation as me: a new toy and nothing to do with it for a few months. Aarrgghh!

You'll have to report back on the stick steering. I'd never heard/seen of it, either...but I'm no jetboat expert.

Best,
    Art.

You will be happy with the stick, as a matter of fact once you have driven it you will never want to go back to a wheel. Are those amps in the floor storage compartment? If so be very careful about corrosion on the connections. Buy a huge tube of die electric grease and keep them lubed up.

I would pull the floors and make sure it a has an auto bilge in front of the bulkhead that separates the engine compartment.

Glad yo went with a 7' bottom. It'll really help with hauling the loads.

Nice boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    http://www.meanchicken.net/webmain/f...hp?f=39&t=4051

Now just need to save the cash to feed her gas for the Koyukuk trips, lol!
    Since she has a 1/4 inch bottom might even get attempt to run the Klutina and Cooper after I gain the experience needed.
    Heck, I'll throw in gas $ for a Koyukuk trip! Nice boat!

Stick steering is new to me as well. But when I researched it everyone said once you try it you are hooked. Makes sense, rest your arm on the chair and enjoy the ride. Even the drivers windshield wiper can be controlled from the stick.
    Wish she was a little bit lighter in the weight department and the trailer was galvanized, but as we all know, every boat is a compromise of sorts.
    Kind of ironic as I always thought the boats with the rear deck and rails cramped your storage space. I didnt realize there were two huge storage bins underneath on each side of the engine. Once they are packed you can put additional crap on top and secure it to the rails. Am guessing it will burn 15 gallons per hour fully loaded with 400 extra gallons of gas.

Mr Fish, Owe you a trip in her once fishing season comes around
    Tennessee

Pretty sweet looking ride, I will look for you on the Koyukuk this fall. I would really be curious to see what the actual fuel burn is when you get it loaded down for that long run. Looks like it's going to be comfortable on the long trips and definitely has room. You have to be wishing for spring now.

Awesome boat, I almost bought one back in 07 just before they shut their doors. Very well built and great attention to detail. That thing will do great on the Cooper. It's pretty much the same size as the charter boats Hem's run.

Awesome looking boat! Will see you somewhere on the Yukon or Koyukuk. You got the 8.1 in the long run. Did the owner have any travel data?

Default sweet

COngrat on the boat shes one good looking boat

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    Awesome looking boat! Will see you somewhere on the Yukon or Koyukuk. You got the 8.1 in the long run. Did the owner have any travel data?
    No travel data that I know of. He did tell me the impeller was customized for bottom end and something about the nozzle being flipped to help the hole shot and to make the boat ride in a more level position. Empty I would guess 8-9 gallons per hour if you didnt run her to fast. But this fall will most likely run the barrels empty until we reach Galena.
    Tennessee

Congrats on the new rig Randy. It will sure be a pleasure to hunt in this coming season. Didn't you have a wooly prior to this boat? What did you do with it?

Anyway, great looking ride and deal so congrats.

Had a 23 foot Alaskan II and sold it to a member here. Great boat with tons of power but like I said before, wanted to try an inboard jet. Should open up some new hunting areas for us up north as long as we don't get her stuck
    Time for a Lewis chainsaw winch!
    Tennessee

Congrats! she's a beaut! Interested to see posts about the stick steering.

My partner has a thunder jet that is very similar to your boat. It's the work horse of our armada, he hauls the fuel and most everything everything else with his sneakers on and a cup of coffee. Pack a couple short shovels just in case of a stuck 6 hours of digging with a oar on the kantishna I'm here to tell you it's heavy.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

That boat will run the Klutina easily, There are 2 other stick steered 24' IBC's currently running the K that I know of. They also run the copper.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Man you scored a hella nice boat for the $$. Ought to be a hoot !

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Very nice indeed i was looking at some down in AZ... talk about saving some cash!!!!!.. tons of toys for sale down there with the current economy status in many states. a guy could just about get the boat and motor home to pull it with down there for the cost of the boat up here
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Decided that I will drive down there and haul it back. After calculating the flight and related expenses to Wa to close the deal, ferry charges, drive to Haines to pick it up, etc I can save about $3,500. So instead of 3 days in Wa, then 3 days to Haines and back will spend about 12 days driving. Kinda like long road trips. The solitude can be rewarding at times.

Only thing I dont like is the painted trailer and its electric drum brakes. Not going to get to discouraged about it. Will run it till it rusts out and replace it.
    Tennessee

that is a fine looking boat just somthing i noticed while reading that is it s 9 feet wide to be legit to pull it in alaska you will need a overwith permit will you need one to avoid hassal pulling it up here? if i were into the river running still that is what i would want still love the inboard jet boat look

If you have any mechanical aptitude you can upgrade the drum brakes to disk for around $600.00 for a complete kit. I will be doing that very thing to my boat trailer come April, if you are interested in doing the same and need some help let me know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast