Thread: So tell me about your moose stories...

Default So tell me about your moose stories...

Tell me about your moose stories, funny, odd, dangerous, whatever they/you did.

Strangley enough moose are fairly common here in north central ND, and I have a couple stories to share myself...

Well ND I'll try to start the ball rolling fer ya...
    Last Oct my son and best friend drove into northern Ontario for a 7 day moose hunt. Arrived day early and met guide and half owner of lodge at the lodge. Beautiful day, loaded most of gear in two boats and headed 15 plus miles up a river system to a remote outpost cabin on a water system that goes for well over 100 miles.... We left some gear in vehicle as guide said we were going to make a return trip - little did I know that didn't mean the same day.
    We got moved in and guide was excited to show us some spots to start the next day - so we hop in boats and go another 15 plus miles north. There was a huge land mass that was separated by this river in one spot that was less than 50 feet wide in a stretch about 1/4 mile in length. The rest of the system was more of a meandering lake that would get as wide as perhaps 1 mile and usually was about 1/4 mile in most other narrow spots. Sign was great - lots of fresh tracks and grazed grass, and rubs. Plan was to drop us of at 3 places next morning before daylight and sit all day - 12 - 13 hours.... OK so far.
    Got back to cabin full of excitement - guide then said he would retrieve the balance of our gear next day while we hunted - Uh, my duffel with most of my cloths and all my lights were part of the left gear....Hmmm - OK, shared some stuff of my sons and good to go.
    Next morning can't wait to go - get to dock and start boats 2 hours before light - I asked guide what he had for lights - Oh, don't worry I know the lake - Huh??? I said Ross, that's great but its the dark of the moon - cloudy - there is ZERO visibility - not to worry he said follow me. We were in 15ft boats with 25hp motors - they would scoot along pretty good - if I stayed real close I could barely make out his motor white wash but had no depth perception so when he slowed I was right on him - of course he only knew "Wide Open" on the throttle.
    Excitement overshadowed my common sense and we went on. We dropped my friend Greg first - went about 100 - 200 yards further and tied up 1 boat off a beaver hut then I got in and rode with Ross and my son. We dropped off Justin next and I was last on the line.
    As daylight came the excitement of making another wonderful trip was exhilarating. Unfortunately it was short lived as one boat load of native hunters after another came by ALL day long. Later found out it was their Thanksgiving and they held a Pow Wow on that end of the lake and they all went on an annual 3 day moose hunt! We might as well sat at a marina all day - very frustrating.
    Now darkness comes and no Ross, Greg and Justin and I chat on the walkie talkies I packed thankfully - after an hour of sitting in the dark I tell Greg that Ross must be in trouble - he has to find a way to the boat we parked even though he has no clue where it is and will likely have to swim a bit to get it or we sit all night! About time Greg is starting to make his way to 2nd boat he comes on radio and says he hears a boat - great it turns out to be Ross, he had called some while fishing about 3 miles away and a nice bull came out and walked right to him, he didn't want to spook it so sat there till dark then quietly left!
    I am in a foul mood by now, wasted a day and now this - now 2 hours after dark we start back in, I asked him to slow down as it was very dangerous to follow - if I stayed close enough to see his motor wash then I would either run him over when he slowed or get caught in the rough wake's that I could not see. My son sat in the front of Ross's boat and had an LED hatlight on and that was my only beacon to follow... Of course we ran full out - I was getting really pissed now - then on a sweeping curve I swung a bit wide to avoid his wake
    WHAM - we are air-born - slam down hard - I Moose 2.jpggo forward into next seat - Greg slams into bow - WHAM air-born second time and same punishing landing! All is quiet finally - a few groans and moans and I ask my friend if he is alright, yes but hurting - me too! Finally find my hatlight and get bearings - I can't see my sons boat so wondering if they crashed also??? A bit of panic and sick feeling for sure - finally here they come back as they had just went around a island... I shined my flashlight around and we were literally about 6 feet from a rock wall! Luckily we had hit 2 tree's resting in the water or we would have hit the rocks wide open. My son saw us fly around in boat and knew we had a accident - Ross stopped boat when Justin told him something had happened and he said lets see if they get boat going - WHAT!@#%$ My son said go back now as they might be in the water and badly hurt - remember it it total blackness since there is no moonlight!
    We get boat going and no blood so after a few choice words we go about 1/3 throttle back to camp about 5 more miles away! I lost it at the dock and Ross got an earful - next day we had all the gear we needed - I had floodlights and running lights etc...
    Ross meant well but needed a major dose of respect for where he was and his clients safety! Things improved a lot after that night - I ended up with a bone chip in my right elbow - still gives me fits.
    My son called this bull in from about 500 yards 2 days later - it swam the channel and he dropped it when it got on solid footing about 40 yards away with a 300 WM - 200 gr Noslers....
    I know this isn't an AK hunt, but it was an AK moose that was apparently migrating to Maine as best as we could tell?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

About all I can say is wow (insert note of awe for what could have happened...

Had one bluff charge me while I was out on my front pourch!

Not a hunt BUT sure exciting.
    One december my wife says I put an apple pie in the oven so after a meatloaf dinner the pie will be done.

We eat dinner and I sit in the living room with my coffee watching the news. Then it hits me. How's that pie honey? Well, it's done but too warm to cut. Gee, open the sliding door and set it on the deck in the snow.

Time passes and I say it's gotta be cool by now. So, without putting the deck light on she slides open the door, bends down and has her face to face meeting with a yearling who's eating MY pie. A scream gets me up and by then the door is closed and the light is on.
    In order to retrieve the pie I arm myself with the 3 foot dowel rod that secures the door.

she says your not going to eat that pie are you? Sure, we'll just trim down what he ate. You know that Moose camped out for the next few days on the deck.
    He even peered in the window where a pot of artficial flowers were on a table. Oh yea, the pie was great although not warm.

I have had more moose encounters, funny, scary, and life threatening than i can count.....

In and Around Anchorage, there are literally hundreds of moose. They can be anywhere and they are it sometimes seems, everywhere, literally. My neighbor had one climb up the snowpack and on top of his roof and it fell thru and got stuck, so when he came home, he walked into the living room to find 4 moose legs dangling....it was in the paper awhile back.....you can walk out your door to your car ten feet away, on any given day, and get charged if your not fully aware of your surroundings........Ive had pet moose that refused to leave my yard......ive had drunk moose in my yard after they ate all the apples off the ground in the garden.....There have been moose inside of office buildings here more times than once to eat the office plants......and ive once saw a moose stick his whole head into the drivethru window of a mcdonalds.... Its also a common sight to see moose eating trash out of dumpsters, and if you get to close to thier dumpster, they will charge....moose like to get into everything in your yard too, they like to lay in your kiddie pool and destroy it, and if you have a hammock they like to get their antlers wrapped up in it, in which case they dont give it back....hell, sometimes they even like to play with swingsets and power lines and get hung up in them, in which case you have to call the local BIO. Moose and children dont play well together, because when kids throw snowballs and rocks at them, they get mad cuz they suck at catching. And all that is just the tip of the iceberg buddy!

Moose Stories? I could fill a few books with em!

Release Lake Trout