Thread: Shrimp & Crabs?

Default Shrimp & Crabs?

Just wondering if there are any charter services that target shrimp or crabs on the Kenai Peninsula?
    Wife & I will be in Soldotna the 20th to 30th of July this year. Have some charters (Kenai- kings & Deep Creek / Homer- halibut and lings) already planned (& want to do some sockeye fishing on our own), but a crab or shrimp trip would be something new.
    Just let me know. Thanks.

You could try this outfit, haven't used them but the only one I've heard of doing shrimping. http://www.saltwaterexcursions.com/S...C/Welcome.html

Good question there Professor. I was kind of under the impression that only AK residents could crab fish but I hadn't considered the shrimping.

Shot an email to Saltwater Excursions for some more info. Good looking website there, thanks Muskie. Has anyone had any experience with them shrimping or fishing by chance?

- Jay

Crabbing is open to non-residents in Homer but you have to first get a harvest form at ADF&G PRIOR to getting on the water & fill it out while out fishing, and return/send it in back to fish & game.

Check with whoever you have booked for your Homer halibut trip and see if they can accomodate. It might take some time away from your halibut fishing but we've done it twice and those tanners are yummy.
    Not sure about the regs for outsiders and shrimping.

There is a proposal before the game board to clarify the regulations to determine if it is legal for Charters to fish for shrimp or crabs then give them to their customers. In South East AK it is already to do so. The bill is 315. http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/f...prop-final.pdf

Thanks guys! Emailed salt water excursions with some basic questions. Then I am checking with my wife to see if that trip would be OK. I would LOVE to have some fresh shrimp for the freezer.

As a side note: does anyone know what the daily limit (per person) is for shrimp? I tried the state website, but it was sooooooo confusing and not straightforward at all !!!

There isn't a limit. it is personal use. Personal use fisheries are open to residents only in North Gulf Coast. No shrimping in Cook Inlet
    Crabbing in Prince William Sound is open to residents only.

Any other question should be put to the ask a trooper forum. This would be a good one for them
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Default Saltwater Excursion Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by oldmil007 View Post
    Good question there Professor. I was kind of under the impression that only AK residents could crab fish but I hadn't considered the shrimping.

Shot an email to Saltwater Excursions for some more info. Good looking website there, thanks Muskie. Has anyone had any experience with them shrimping or fishing by chance?

- Jay
    Hey Jay - Went shrimping and Fishing with Captain Labrecque several times in the last few years and had a blast. I myself love to fish and am a fly-fishing guide on the kenai peninsula. She was recommended to me by some mutual friends of ours. She seemed very knowledgable of the area, good shrimping/fishing sites and had quality gear. Knows how to have a good time yet safety is always a priority. Cant say much else. The shrimp were out of this world good though!! Tasted like mini lobsters. Had some fresh right out on the water....hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    There isn't a limit. it is personal use. Personal use fisheries are open to residents only in North Gulf Coast. No shrimping in Cook Inlet
    Crabbing in Prince William Sound is open to residents only.

Any other question should be put to the ask a trooper forum. This would be a good one for them
    I know we have hashed this out before but here is my understanding. North Gulf Coast shrimp are personal use only witch means residents only. Prince William Sound Crab are personal use/subsistence and therefore residents only.
    Prince William Sound shrimp as well as Tanner crabs in Homer are open to general sportfishing as well as personal use and subsistence thus they are open to anyone possessing a valid sportfish license and harvest card.
    There are some Homer charters who will do the crabbing if you ask but I forget the name of the charters who for sure do this. I am sure there are more than one.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Thanks for the explanation Chris and to the other folks who pitched in also.
    Now I understand why she only runs the shrimp charters out of Whittier.

Might someone have any knowledge to share about how the shrimping would be in late July in Prince William Sound, or leastwise the best time of year to shrimp there?

Here's what it looks like in back here in the Gulf of Maine right now (season's from December-April) but pretty quick after that they're scarce. These species are on the small end of the spectrum (40-60 ct) but mighty tasty. 'Bout $1.50/lb off the back of the truck right now.

Thanks, Jay

photos courtesy of Saco, Maine Shrimp Fisherman Craig Pendleton , F/V Ocean Spray

Our bugs is a bit bigger than those cocktail shrimp you catch back there plus you'd never get that net back if you tried to tow it across some of the rockpiles i fish.
    glove shrimp closeup.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

In Valdez at the start of the shrimp openner people are going out and setting pots at mid night. Last year I did the Prince William Sound Commerical Shrimp fishery and found that by tail weight it took around 32 shrimp to make a pound. Whole weight would have been around 16. The pink shrimp and strip shrimp where to small to keep. In Maine do you have to remove the heads before you sell them at the $1.50 a pound price?

To answer the OP's question about catching them, they are here any time in the season, from April 15th to September 15th, given you know where to go and how to catch them.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

That was the reason I left the CI tanner and the PWS out. He was asking about out of Homer
    Kinda makes you wish they would get some consistency

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I know we have hashed this out before but here is my understanding. North Gulf Coast shrimp are personal use only witch means residents only. Prince William Sound Crab are personal use/subsistence and therefore residents only.
    Prince William Sound shrimp as well as Tanner crabs in Homer are open to general sportfishing as well as personal use and subsistence thus they are open to anyone possessing a valid sportfish license and harvest card.
    There are some Homer charters who will do the crabbing if you ask but I forget the name of the charters who for sure do this. I am sure there are more than one.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Thanks guys & gals,

Booked a trip July 27th with Saltwater Excursions in Whittier. Can not wait to take my trip to Alaska this year!

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    In Valdez at the start of the shrimp openner people are going out and setting pots at mid night. Last year I did the Prince William Sound Commerical Shrimp fishery and found that by tail weight it took around 32 shrimp to make a pound. Whole weight would have been around 16. The pink shrimp and strip shrimp where to small to keep. In Maine do you have to remove the heads before you sell them at the $1.50 a pound price?
    Its the head on price for the Maine shrimp.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692