Thread: Shipping gear to / from Kotz

Default Shipping gear to / from Kotz

I am looking for some input on shipping hunting gear, raft etc to and from Kotz this fall from Anch. Any recommendations on who to use Alaska Air or Norther Air Cargo . Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gunnysack View Post
    I am looking for some input on shipping hunting gear, raft etc to and from Kotz this fall from Anch. Any recommendations on who to use Alaska Air or Norther Air Cargo . Thanks
    I used NAC and had good service. You can buy your fuels in Kotz, call a head and ask, most air taxis have extra fuel left by other hunters.

Good Luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

NAC was easy the one time I used them. We usually fly our gear up from NC, but when I bought my Sotar from Goo Vogt in Anchorage, we used NAC to get the gear to me. Then after the trip, I sent his frame, cooler, oars, etc.. back to him in Anchorage and flew home to NC with my raft. Worked out very well. You can get white gas at the AC. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have your pilot pick up a gallon and hold it for you.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

NAC, Evert's, and Lynden's are all good options between Anchorage and Kotzebue. One thing I learned last year when shipping meat from Kotz to Anchorage was just because the companies website lists a given flight schedule does not mean there'll actually be a cargo flight that day. However, between the three you should be able to find one of them flying out. Lynden is slightly higher for price / lb but they don't charge a fuel surcharge, so overall prices are pretty much a wash between the three. Just allow yourself extra time for gear to arrive so there are no surprises when you show up in Kotz and your gear has not. For the return trip, wrap your gear up, secure it to a pallet and stop by the cargo office (next door to the airport terminal) and let them know, they'll go pick it up with a fork lift and save you the hassle.

If you plan to ship meat back on a pallet from Kotz to Anchorage, it might not be a bad idea to send an extra pallet up with your gear before the trip. Your transporter might have extra pallets but if they don't the cheap cost of freighting an extra up is worth the piece of mind.

I had forgotten about Lyndens. When I lived in Kotz, they were very popular with many of the locals there. Seems that is who flew my four wheeler up now that I think about it. Several good options for shipping gear to Kotz.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

gunny,

the trick to saving money on shipping cargo to and from Kotz is by hooking up with NAC, Everts, or Alaska Air Cargo. I believe that NAC headquarters is in Anchorage, and most companies allow shipments to return to base at a much lower rate.

Example, when i send from Fairbanks to Kotz via Everts, they charge roughly $ .80/lb going and $.22/lb returning to Fairbanks. Therefore, you might check to make sure which company offers the best rate going and returning from anchorage.

Giev yourself at least 8-10 days on the front side so you don't have to pay for Priority cargo...much more expensive for priority.

Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    One thing I learned last year when shipping meat from Kotz to Anchorage was just because the companies website lists a given flight schedule does not mean there'll actually be a cargo flight that day.
    That bears a quote, so true.

I've seen Tues & Fri scheduled backhauls, turn into Weds & Sat backhauls. The weather would be an easy excuse, but often it comes down to mechanical issues, and if there's enough freight to make the flight worthwile for the aircargo. Following their movement in realtime is basicaly "spot market " if you will, subject to change by the hour. I spent a whole week at the big 3 cargos waiting for numerous meat/antler shipments to come in when expected, often to find out otherwise. I will give props to ACE AIR CARGO however, I was impressed with their operation. But I dont think ACE serves Kotz.

But hey, for getting meat and gear out , .34 cents/pound is a pretty good deal.

Thanks for all the info. I checked out NAC web site found the current back haul rates. I'll check out Alaska Air cargo when I get a chance.Thanks again for the info

I us the good old USPS, shipped 5, 40 pound tupperware containers for $140, there and back with no problems, even shipped by Caribou antlers bcak too.

The mainline carriers should be able to get you a better rate. Try Everts for sure. On a Cargo only aircraft you can ship fuel and other hazmat that you can not ship on a passenger aircraft. You just have to look at all the costs to determine what is best. Before you buy a stove w/ special fuel, ensure that the cannisters can be shipped. Most can not. The mail option is not a bad idea. It might be way cheaper to ship it to yourself, General Delivery, to destination. Again, you'll just have to weigh out all the options.
    Again, go talk to Everts in ANC. Ask them for options. They'll provide a wealth of info to help you any way they can.
    ARR