Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much are little cubs actually selling for these days?

Default How much are little cubs actually selling for these days?

I've been saving, and wondering what are PA-11s, J-5s, etc actually commanding these days?
    -Out-of-State for school, remembering why I love Alaska so much

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I saw those, but they haven't actually sold that I know of. Seems like there is a difference between between asking and selling price.

The 35-65 numbers seem to be the range I've been seeing for cubs. I'm no authority, I fly a T'crate (that I paid less than half that for a low range cub) but those are the prices I've seen as the norm for the past couple of years.
    At sea, it's force not reason that confers sovereign rights

It pains me to remember that I paid only $1,400 for my first airplane (an Aeronca Chief) and, years later, only $7,500 for my first Super Cub. It came with 24x11x4 tires and tubes, and good skis. Ah, those were the days ..................

All you can do is make offers and feel out the market. Last year I took 18.5 for a Pacer in good shape ready to go. Three years ago I may have gotten 25. You never know what is in the head of the seller. All I can say is it doesn't get much better than it is right now, from past exper. but it might. Ah heck, hold your breath and jump, the water is fine.

Cub math lesson, at least in my opinion. A new Cubcrafters Top Cub or Dakota Super 18 will set you back about $200K. Any other Cub can be judged by that standard. A $50K Cub will take about $150K to bring up to the standard of "new". The cost of a good local ground-up restored Cub is probably closer to $150K. Unlike Cessnas in the marketplace the Cubs wear out whether you use them or not. Buy a cheap Cub, expect a steep maintenance budget. Especially in the beginning while you overcome all the previous owner's deferred maintenance items. Most of the time when you see a Cub for sale at a cheap price it's because the owner has come to understand he can't afford the cost to rebuild it.

http://supercub.org/

all you need to know about cubs here

I've been on the supercub website, just wanted to know what's going on locally. Seems like there is a sometimes a difference in asking price.

I used to post on the Supercub web site for years. But it was becoming more of a social club for folks who occasionally flew non-working Cubs when they were not flying something else. Then a few visited me here and once I got them in the cockpit it turned out they were really doing almost all of their flying on a computer keyboard.

There are still some real old timers on that site who now buckets and buckets of Cub info... But you pretty much have to know who they are and wait for them to reply.

If I can't get my plane worked on this winter, I will probably make you a heck of a deal on a J3 converted to a PA-11. I may need the money for my legal defense after I commit mechanicacide.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Does anyone know where a PA-11 might be for sale? All I've been able to find are ones that have fabric from '85, or are overpriced.

I am learning that everything in aviation is hyper price inflated. It would be in your best interest to get your own A&P at UAA and find someone that can teach you how to re-fabric a plane. It is litterally cheaper to pay for all the classes and buy all the materials than to buy one. If you built one yourself it would be a TINY fraction of what one would cost "new". If you could find a 4 cylinder non-lycoming wiht about 180 hp you could shave even more money off the cost of flying.

Find something cheap to get your flying fix and then start working on your dream plane, I honestly dont know how these fabric planes are holding such values when everyone is getting laid off and VERY few people are making the money to pay these outragoius prices.

I am probably going to bite the bullet and buy my pitts but will have to build my own carbon fiber plane unless the costs come back down to reality. Of course a pitts goes for much less than a comperable cub for alot more plane.

Obviously you've never built one from the ground up. I have. You can buy a good mid-time flyer for far less than you can build one. FAR less.

You could get a mid time cub for less than a build but you can build one for FAR less than a new one. It just depends on what your looking for. If one absolutly must have a new cub or a husky it is FAR cheaper to build one.

If someone really wants a suped up sweet husky like cub I would suggest they get a mid time cub just to get their flying fix and then start the multi year project of a husky. The last thing you want to do is to start a project without first having a fully functional plane to get your kicks in, this will result in unhappyness lol.

Another thing is maybe you can buy a built frame and buy a run out core and rebuild the engine yourself, however, I dont know what parts would run on an overhaul, you may end up breaking even if the parts cost a fortune. Hopefully someone on here knows the rough cost of parts for an overhaul of various lycoming engines.

I disagree with just about everything you've said regarding aviation in general but especially about Cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    I disagree with just about everything you've said regarding aviation in general but especially about Cubs.
    /\ what he said X2

My brother just zero timed his 0320 lycosaurus for under 8 grand. He did 90% of the work himself.

There is a good discussion over on supercub.org about this very thing right now. If you get a kit and build it yourself, your looking at 50-150 depending on engine and goodies. Fabric from 85 does not scare me as long as it was taken care of. We are not talking about the old cotton covering anymore, if it is modern cloth, and had good UV protection, there is nothing wrong with the fabric.

The reason that cubs are so darn expensive is because of the guys that make a living with them. There just is nothing on the certified market that will do what a cub does, day in and day out. If you want to go experimental, there are many planes out there that will outperform a cub, or atleast do what the cub will do, but now your talking real money again. A new model 7 Kitfox with a 912 is going to run you 70+ by the time your done with it... you can buy one a few years old flying for 35-50. A highlander or a Rans S7 makes an awesome plane for up here and will give a cud a run for thier money, but again, your looking at more to build those planes than you can get a mid time decent shape cub for. Lets face it, although we all dream of having an oshkosh award winner in our hangar, just how practical is it to have one up here and then go beat the crap out of it hunting and fishing.

Heh-heh. As usual, Mr. Pid, I have to throw in with you. I think we have a pilot here who believes that a spin is a dance step.

<br><br><span style="color: rgb(128, 0, 0);">Heh-heh.&nbsp; As usual, Mr. Pid, I have to throw in with you.&nbsp; I think we have a pilot here who believes that a spin is a dance step.</span>

When I was looking into the difference between a pitts S1 to buy out right and the cost to build you would break even just buying one. However, with a cub I have seen new cub or husky price tags of 150k, I gaurentee you can build one MUCH cheaper than that. Also if you want an IO/O-360 your going to pay through the nose unless you over haul a core yourself.

I agree you can get a mid time run of the mill cub for around 50k and if you have nothing to fly now thats not a bad deal. My commment was focused around the award winning low time as cherry as they get cub or husky, your not going to touch one of thoes for less than 120k or more at which point it is MUCH MUCH cheaper to build one.

How much cheaper in your experience?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast