Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chainsawing Pet Peeves......

Default Chainsawing Pet Peeves......

.............fogged up eye protection.

Thinking about using rain-x on my eye protection. Right now I just put a piece of an old t-shirt in one of my pockets and wipe off my lenses whenever they become fogged. Seems like I am cleaning my lenses all the time though.

Anyone have any brilliant solutions???????????????????
    “There's a humorous side to every situation. The challenge is to find it.”
    George Carlin

I had the same problem this winter. I had about 4 trees fall during the high winds in the Matsu this year. I loved how my new Stihl worked, but yeah.. having to stop and wipe off my eyes, sucked. Kinda broke my rhythm. I'd like to know if anybody has any tricks as well..

try breathing directly on them till they clear up it might take a min or two, also this only works if it is not to cold, but i have had a similar problem and found that sometimes if i just warmed them up a little more by breathing on them they cleared up

Me too I have tryied every anti fog there is none will work but cat crap is the best for the money little red round container last long time,Rei. also i have use duck tape over bridge of nose so the breath goes out and around,put little vaseline on so be able to get it off later, also i switch to smaller pair of glasses like granny style the smaller the lens seem to help the air flow around them.It is a pain.. shed some jackets too, pace yourself so don,t heat up.

I wear the cheap safety glasses from AIH and don't have problems. They get a little obscured at times but it isn't like I'm reading the small print on a home loan. I can see fine for what I'm doing. If it's really cold try wearing a no-fog mask to deflect your breath. That's usually where the fog comes from.

Suggest using form fitted goggles instead of glasses. There's almost no way to keep glasses from fogging up. A snowmachine face mask coupled with goggles will solve the problem.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Try a set of bug-eyes they are made of a wire mesh they take some getting used to but they don't fog. Bailys-online carries them.
    Chuck

I would like to expand on what Susitna Ak said, I also tried lots of product on my glasses Cat Crap does works. I used duck tape one time, removing it smarted big time so I now use surgical tape, I think it works better and it doesn’t remove your skin. I also use spray-on odorant on my face/forehead to stop sweating along with keeping cool by opening up your clothes.

Default Eye protection?

I don't ned no stinkin' eye protection.

My pet peeve?

''TIMMMMBBER..........OH SHEEIT!!!!''

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I wear a helmet with a mesh face shield. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ZZEVWHB1PPTAC0 I thought the helmet was silly at first, but wearing it made my wife happy and I've got to like it. Hearing protection is nice and it seems like when cutting out in the woods there's always branches snapping around and hitting the helmet....Louis
    Louis Knapp

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    My pet peeve?

''TIMMMMBBER..........OH SHEEIT
    It's those big old ones that get hung up...Widow Makers ~ they scare the bee-gee-bers outta me!

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

That is the worst. I've used a comealong on most of those. Sometimes I've just cut up the hung up tree until it fell down, then, once or twice hacked away at the tree the first one was hung up on. Both the last solutions are, I confess, very dangerous and stupid. You just don't know which way things are going to fall and a helmet probably won't help much if a whole tree comes down on me.
    Louis Knapp

Try a set of bug-eyes they are made of a wire mesh they take some getting used to but they don't fog. Bailys-online carries them.
    +1 for Bugs mesh goggles. Best thing since slided bread. I was turned on to them by wildlife firefighter friends.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Really Guys, Are you saying that you put protective gear on everytime you crank up the saw?

If so I applaud you for that.

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    My pet peeve?

''TIMMMMBBER..........OH SHEEIT!!!!''

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk
    I had one of them a couple of days ago. I was dropping a 60' spruce just as it was starting to crack a gust of wind hit it and sent it the wrong way. It landed right next to my snow machine the whole thing was in slow motion I had visions of yellow plastic exploding all over the place.
    Chuck

Really Guys, Are you saying that you put protective gear on everytime you crank up the saw?
    Nope, just eye and ear protection. After spending a grand last year on eye fixes I have officially learned my lesson. Ears aren't lasting as well as I like either. Hard hat if I'm falling, but I do most of that with an excavator nowadays.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post

If so I applaud you for that.
    More or less I do wear eye protection, a few years ago I one of my eyes got nailed during freeze up and no way in or out. I also wear chaps because it makes my wife feel better and they save a fortune in blus jeans.
    Chuck

My pet pevee is when the thing gives me fits for not starting, lol or bogging down while cutting.

I have two stihls, and the 0-36 Has been abused and used, but was getting to heavy, just bought a 250 a few years ago like it alot.

Theres a filter in them that needs to be inspected quit often.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I don't ned no stinkin' eye protection.
    That's what I was thinking??? Eye protection? Is this a union Job?
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast