Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: State dollars for Draw Permits in 2010?

Default State dollars for Draw Permits in 2010?

Take a guess how much the State hauled in for Draw Permits in 2010.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    Take a guess how much the State hauled in for Draw Permits in 2010.
    No! I don't want to.

2.3 million

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

More than I can count to....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

not near enough to fund the programs so many demand the ADFG accomplish..

the delta bison tag alone will bring in ~ $60,000 +/- a few K... but that is what keeps the herd going. The bison are one of the few exceptions to our state Constitution allows and the fees for the tags are for maintenance on the bison range.

aerial moose surveys cost up wards of 100K to complete if not more (per survey) i would estimate, predator control projects, etc.

iknow i contributed over 300 clams this year. and dont mind doing it at all... they also have to pay the private party drawing system so that we can apply to begin with...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

That is one area of Govt. I'd like to see making money any way they can,
    seems sure that anything they spend money on would be Great for the State that I enjoy

asking for some cash, working on peoples hopes of a Dream Hunt, sounds ok to me.

I am actually amazed it only costs $5 per application, Can't get that much opportunity anywhere for price of a cup of Designer coffee
    Is it really 2.3 million tho?

Wow, that's a LOT of dreaming going on
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Agree with Kodiakrain.
    Amazed at the cost of only $5 per dream shot.
    Super Bowl game tickets are like 2K each...I would rather get a TMA/DCUA permit.

So, does anyone know exactly how much $$$ is injected into the SOA general fund from our participation in the dream draw?

dennis

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    That is one area of Govt. I'd like to see making money any way they can,
    seems sure that anything they spend money on would be Great for the State that I enjoy

asking for some cash, working on peoples hopes of a Dream Hunt, sounds ok to me.

I am actually amazed it only costs $5 per application, Can't get that much opportunity anywhere for price of a cup of Designer coffee
    Is it really 2.3 million tho?

Wow, that's a LOT of dreaming going on
    There are several groups that have proposed changes to the fees, However there is still a lot of mismanagement in certain areas, we have 4 regions in the state, and each region does things differently, weather it is policy of management practices, or biology studies. currently the Policy for a department is set by the person in charge... should a Bio, Dept head or other... write a memo to the underlings, stating "this is how we will do this" that is Policy, until another person comes along and changes it...

If we increase fees, to increase funding, then the funding needs to be placed into programs and policy that support proper management and uniform standards across the state.

should we increase fees. we need to know it id going to a wildlife fund or project. the State Constitution ( except) for the bison range does not allow for that at this time...

so As Dennis asks... how much did we contribute to the general fund? are we increasing tags and fees for a new golf course in anchorage? or for so BS pork project that gets written into a bill in the house or senate? take a look at budgets when they come out this year and the fluff is amazing especially in the SC regions.

our general fund has an excess in it now... i wont support raising any fees until an amendment is made that allows the cost of tags to be applied to valid wildlife and fisheries issues.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince said...." so As Dennis asks... how much did we contribute to the general fund? are we increasing tags and fees for a new golf course in anchorage? or for so BS pork project that gets written into a bill in the house or senate? take a look at budgets when they come out this year and the fluff is amazing especially in the SC regions."

Vince, how very perceptive of you to recognize the gentle sarcasm I intended. Your good. A more normal reader probably could not and would not have perceived that.
    dennis

Default Cringing, in my Optimism

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    so As Dennis asks... how much did we contribute to the general fund? are we increasing tags and fees for a new golf course in anchorage? or for so BS pork project that gets written into a bill in the house or senate? take a look at budgets when they come out this year and the fluff is amazing especially in the SC regions.

our general fund has an excess in it now... i wont support raising any fees until an amendment is made that allows the cost of tags to be applied to valid wildlife and fisheries issues.
    I'm certainly with ya on this one, maybe even to the point that Fees charged Hunters, are "Locked in" to wildlife management expenses, could that ever happen ?

Yeah, I noticed that SOA General fund comment also, (shuddering as I think about it)

I actually mention any, "area of Govt." kind of "cringing as I write," wishing that even F&G was someone I could count on to spend that $5 wisely,
    Knowing all along that just "One Cup of Designer Coffee" on a traveling bio's expense account, and There It Goes....... ..........................
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    I'm certainly with ya on this one, maybe even to the point that Fees charged Hunters, are "Locked in" to wildlife management expenses, could that ever happen ?

Yeah, I noticed that SOA General fund comment also, (shuddering as I think about it)

I actually mention any, "area of Govt." kind of "cringing as I write," wishing that even F&G was someone I could count on to spend that $5 wisely,
    Knowing all along that just "One Cup of Designer Coffee" on a traveling bio's expense account, and There It Goes....... ..........................
    Pittman-Robertson Act and Dingle-Johnson do just what you are asking. The money collected from those taxes are to be used for fish and wildlife management. I also know Missouri implemented a 0.1% sales tax in their state to be used for wildlife resources. Point is it can be done if people want to make it happen bad enough.

Default Our hunting license/tag fees don't go into General Fund

Division of Wildlife Conservation is so under-funded it isn't even funny. We pay a pittance in license/tag/app fees compared to every other western state and don't recognize how good we have it.

We end up asking for money from the GF for things like predator control and wildlife education etc, but generally all of the funding for wildlife mgmt/research/control programs etc comes from license/tag fees and P-R funds.

Oh, and just an fyi, $5 application fee...all that does is barely cover expenses to run those draws, if even that. And once we went to a preference point system for certain hunts, well that means we now have to pay tens of thousands to an Outside company to run those. It isn't like some here think, that DWC is pulling in tons of money from draw application fees.

Mabye the price for a draw should be $500 instead of $5. Why not make it $5000 per draw? Why not do away with the draw and go entirely 'subsistence' Tier?

Point is ... at least $5 makes it possible for a 'normal' guy to dream. Not very happy with how our tax money is spent. I'd sure like to see how the money for licenses, tags, and draws is really used.

I belive it was 3.45 million for the last fiscal year, but as vince said im not gana suport the increase in tag cost till a bill is introduced to garuntee that all funds raise by the increase will go towards wildlife programs,study,improvements,access ....and so on, it would have to be used to support wildlife and wildlife departments. last year, one project that was funded by department dollars was a shooting range in juneau, and im not sure something like that should qualify, there are other more important project that are in need, now as it stands they need to be bringing in 3.5-4 million a year in order to fund the yearly projects, so why a shooting range was a priority is questionable and nothing outside of hunting/fishing/management should get funding from tag or F&G revenue. residents only make up 25% of tag revenue while nonresidents and allien hunters bring in the other 75%, in all this is only half of what the f&gs gets for revenue a year. we residents have it pretty good, since we pay a average of $80 a year for everything while the national average to hunt just a few speicies is $679 a year in most states. since alaska funds more projects than they bring in in revenue they may introduce a increase in fees, last i looked that would raise res huning to $50,trapping $30,$10waterfowl,$10-15 for drawing fees, $10 for tier apps, $10 for resristration hunts, and increases in all nonresident fees by anywhere from 50 - 100+. after looking at the numbers im kinda shocked that the nunmber 1 hunting capital and destination of the world,alaska ,has such a small revenue for tags and permits, i would have though that more money would be raised, so its no wonder the state is asking for more funds, my home state montana brings in 4.6 million a year on just permits and tags, and its only one of the major hunting states in the L48. But im with you on this vince, before they get it, it needs to stay in the dept.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Division of Wildlife Conservation is so under-funded it isn't even funny. We pay a pittance in license/tag/app fees compared to every other western state and don't recognize how good we have it.

We end up asking for money from the GF for things like predator control and wildlife education etc, but generally all of the funding for wildlife mgmt/research/control programs etc comes from license/tag fees and P-R funds.

Oh, and just an fyi, $5 application fee...all that does is barely cover expenses to run those draws, if even that. And once we went to a preference point system for certain hunts, well that means we now have to pay tens of thousands to an Outside company to run those. It isn't like some here think, that DWC is pulling in tons of money from draw application fees.
    Bushrat i do enjoy reading your comments they are dead on and to the point. That being said in my opinion Tags and fee's in alaska are very reasonable as compared to other states lets take Washington

Deer/Elk 43.20 each
    Bear/Cougar 24.00 then additional 12.00 for 2nd bear

Draw hunts
    moose, mountain goat, big horn sheep 120.00

1 billion dollars thats how much... But who really knows! I do know in Oregon all revenue brought in off tags and licenses go into the general fund and fish and game takes it in the rear without a kiss or flowers. So in the end the hunters of Oregon end up funding some off the wall project in Portland.

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    Bushrat i do enjoy reading your comments they are dead on and to the point. That being said in my opinion Tags and fee's in alaska are very reasonable as compared to other states lets take Washington

Deer/Elk 43.20 each
    Bear/Cougar 24.00 then additional 12.00 for 2nd bear

Draw hunts
    moose, mountain goat, big horn sheep 120.00

For comparison Arizona,

Resident Bison: $1,095.00
    Resident Bighorn sheep: $272.50
    Resident Elk: $121.50

I was not going to interject anything into this thread until the comparison of fees in Alaska vs. fees in another state, arose. This I have seen numerous times since I began frequenting this forum. How is it even relevant ?

I cannot help but think that the individuals that keep bringing that issue up are advocating for a massive increase in fees. Remember that the state constitution allocates the fish and wildlife as belonging to its' residents as a natural resource. Any fees associated with the management of such resources should be at a bare minimum in so much as to allow the processing of draw permit applications, surveys, regulation publication, etc., also keep in mind that there are license and stamp fees which fund operations, and as stated earlier, federal tax souces for this very reason.

If fees are to be raised, I feel it should be at the expense of non-residents, guides and transporters, this includes non lethal commercial enterprises, which earn a living from our "natural resources". They capitalize on a resource in a fashion which provides exclusivity, albeit legal, that the typical resident cannot and does not benefit from directly. This includes fish as well as game, including sport fish charter operations.

If fees for the resident are not held in check, I believe it will create a burden more, and more for residents, to the point that it will further complicate the subsistance issue, and raise even more challenges at the constitutional level.

Did you get ahold of some of the meth out in the valley... No way am I advocating a fee increase. I believe majority of alaskans have no clue what there fellow hunters in lower 48 are paying. I do agree that non-residents should pay more than 5 bucks a pop.

The question was how much for draw permits. Not looking for tag fees or license fees, just draw. For everybody that applied and put in $5 or $10, what was the haul for 2010 permits? FYI I really thought it was a whole lot more than I figured.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast