Thread: 375 or 416? Which and why?

Default 375 or 416? Which and why?

If you've used a 375 and you've used a 416, tell us what game you use it on, which you prefer, and why.

We really should be more specific as to our caliber choices here. There are multiple calibers in both of these bullet diameters.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

.375 Cheytac and .416 Barrett??

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    We really should be more specific as to our caliber choices here. There are multiple calibers in both of these bullet diameters.
    I know, that was intentional so it didn't limit the responses to, for example, the 375 H&H users when there are other 375 options out there. I was just trying to get a discussion going.

I have shot 375's for over 25 years now and love them, I current own a 375 Ackley and a 375 RUM. Have taken Elk, brown and Black bear with them, I'm thinking hard on building a 416 RUM, not cause I need it, cause I just want one!

I have one simple rule for big bears, there's no substitute for horse power and good bullets.....period!

I prefer both and in many incarnations. .375 h&h, ruger, Weatherby etc. .416 Remington, Taylor, rigby etc. I don't have them all but I'm young give me time.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Had a .375 H&H.

I loved my Sako. Shot everything from Blacks, Moose, Bou and Int. Grizz.
    Lost it in the Chena back in 1990.

Replaced it with .458 Skipped the 416.

I like the big bores. For the Dangerous Game.

375 better all around gun for Alaska..

I have 2 375 H&H's and use them a lot. The 300 gr.Nosler partitions are an all around ans my go to bullet. Shoots little round holes through deer and are excellent on moose and big bears

I personally go with the 375 H&H as it is large enough for any animal in north america and the ammo is way less expensive than the 416 and you can find it just about anywhere in Alaska. Even if you reload the components are much cheaper for the 375 than the 416. I have a Remington KS 375 H&H and have taken Elk and plan on taking a brown bear with it come spring. The only reason I have not taken other animals with it is I love my 25-06 and do most of my hunting with it.
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

.375 Ruger all the way! 300 gr. knock a brown right out of his tennis shoes!

Love my browning .375h&h. Going on 5 years now and have taken Caribou, Musk Ox and 3 moose. I'll use it for everything except a mountain hunt.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies! Hmm, I thought that this would be an interesting subject but it hasn't drawn the attention I had hoped for. Luckily for me I don't earn a living in a Public Relations job

Subject change...
    Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Love my browning .375h&h. Going on 5 years now and have taken Caribou, Musk Ox and 3 moose. I'll use it for everything except a mountain hunt.
    Have you ever had any issues with the Browning freezing up? I've read about that a few times on AOD forums.

For bear protection/backup, I prefer the largest gun that I can shoot and remain standing. My .416 Taylor is excellent for brown bear hunting and protection while in the field. 375 definitely has better ballistics as a round and can approach the neighborhood of the 416 with 300 grain bullets. (300 grain going ~2700 fps is about the max load for both rounds, but the 375 will have a better ballistic coefficient) Cant beat the 416 for 400 grain horsepower within 100 yards, though.

I'd much rather hunt with a 375 H&H. I'd much rather defend my life with a 416. Once again, the answer is: "Well, it depends...."
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Another note, 375 H&H ammo is cheaper and a LOT more available (think one man gun shop in some town of 50 people) than any of the 416's. Also, if you are considering purchasing one of the above calibers, you can find good quality 375 H&H rifles generally cheaper than most of the 416's. Also more companies seem to make 375 H&H's than 416's.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6