Thread: Skidoo safari cheyenne repair

Default Skidoo safari cheyenne repair

I own a 89/90' safari cheyenne that I like a lot... Since this last year was the "Year of breaking stuff", I had the tranny go out. I located a parts sled for cheap but it is a year older and the tranny is not the same, so a simple switch of gears is not possible.
    Has anybody swapped out the tranny's on an older skidoo like this?
    It appears I'll even have to swap out the drive axle and shim out the tranny housing itself to get things working....
    Of course if any of you guys have a set of extra gears for an 89/90... lets talk!
    Any help is appreciated..I'd like to get it rolling before breakup...

regards....

reuben..

Quote Originally Posted by reuben_j_cogburn View Post
    I own a 89/90' safari cheyenne that I like a lot... Since this last year was the "Year of breaking stuff", I had the tranny go out. I located a parts sled for cheap but it is a year older and the tranny is not the same, so a simple switch of gears is not possible.
    Has anybody swapped out the tranny's on an older skidoo like this?
    It appears I'll even have to swap out the drive axle and shim out the tranny housing itself to get things working....
    Of course if any of you guys have a set of extra gears for an 89/90... lets talk!
    Any help is appreciated..I'd like to get it rolling before breakup...

regards....

reuben..
    With older machines like this......the best thing you can do is call John at 90's and older. He is the most knowledgeable person I've ever met regarding older snow machines like your's. He also has a soft spot for the rotax 377 fan cooled twin, which is in your machine. memeber on here by the name of dirtofak or moderator Lujon might be able to give you his number. talking with him first will clear any confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    With older machines like this......the best thing you can do is call John at 90's and older. He is the most knowledgeable person I've ever met regarding older snow machines like your's. He also has a soft spot for the rotax 377 fan cooled twin, which is in your machine. memeber on here by the name of dirtofak or moderator Lujon might be able to give you his number. talking with him first will clear any confusion.
    Mike is correct. John has always treated me and mine right! 90's and older in Wasilla at 745-2733
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Try over here on this site. There some over there would know answer.
    http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?&&CODE=00

Thanks for all the assistance guy's. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I just got in to town from my homestead, and I'll be heading back out sunday with some freight. I've heard of John and I'l definetly give him a call.... The tag on the motor on my machine says it is a 503...maybe not the original motor?.....
    I'll be in touch in a few day's...

regards...

I think that if you check with Ski-Doo, you may find that the 503 was a stock motor for -some- of the Safaris.

I have a '94 Safari Deluxe (with the notorious and more common 377 F). I commonly refer to it as a 'Ditch Witch,' due to the fact that on soft powder it's far better at digging holes than floating on snow. Therefore my son tends to be its operator on trips (He's lighter than I am, so it tends to sink to a lesser depth when it -does- sink.. and eventually it -will- sink...)

It is, however, a great firewood-hauling sled around the house, and a fine sled for seriously polished ice and ice fishing. (Carbide skegs and picks on the track make it a very adept sled for those times that the ice is so slick that even walking slowly and cautiously is h***ardous.)

I've found usable parts for it from any number of snowmobile bone yards. One of the most helpful (and surprisingly inexpensive) was a fellow in Manitoba (Canada) who used to be a snowmobile dealer in the winters, and farmed during the summers. He got away from selling newer machines, and now salvages older sleds and ATVs. Don't know if I can dig his number out of the parts box or not.

There have also been salvage yards in Wisconsin and on the East Coast, one near Edmonton, Alberta, and more.

If you didn't find it initially in your searches, have you tried puttig your search terms in a different order, or using different terms?

My hesitation with garage-type modifications to make otherwise incorrect parts work, is that sometimes going back to stock, when and if you find correct parts, tends to double the work, assuming the mods can be cleanly undone at all.

And sometimes (as I just discovered with my Tundra R) some after-market outfit gets tired of receiving requests for part 'x', which had been previously discontinued, and they crank out a few more.

Also, oneof the Ski-Doo shops may be able to search Fullerton's for you for obsolete parts. They often have 'em, but they tack money on to what ever the original price was for having the obsolete part on hand. Sometimes a notable amount, too.

You might give Tom at Power Sports Stuff LLC @ 892-8722 He has delt with a lot of older machines and used parts. Mile 50 Parks Hy. Good Luck

Thanks guy's... It looks like the repairs will wait until spring. Gonna leave my tundra up river then get my safari going in warmer weather. Then I can have a machine on either side... cross in a canoe or zodiac, until the river gets hard....
    Until then I'll just have to be good to my little tundra....
    I'll be in touch....

ciao y'all.....

reubeb..

I realize you've stated you're postponing any action on your sled(s), but I went back through my ebay acct. (ancient purchases) and found the vendor in Canada who sent me the parts for my '94 Ski-Doo Safari Deluxe. I know in the past, he had a reverse system for my sled, which, as I stated before, is the 377-f, rather than your 503. Even if he doesn't have a particular part listed, it may not necesarily mean that he doesn't have that part on his property. Such is the nature of recycling outlets.

Anyway, his vendor name on ebay (and I'm recalling this from a couple hours ago, and didn't write it down) is 'sledsandatvs', if I got it right. It's either that, or atvsandsleds.

As stated earlier, there's another snowmachine salvage outlet in Wisconsin that's had obsolete parts for my sled in the past, though I didn't immediately do business with them, and I can probably locate their vendor I.D. with a bit of a search there.

Good luck!