Thread: Aragula??????

Default Aragula??????

Someone told me that this species of vegetable is a natural deterrent for moose. Has anyone ever heard of this? If so, what kind of results have you had? Also, I was trying to find out information about it on the internet, and I found some sites discussing another type of deterrent that is organic and sprayed on. It is called Plantskydd. Anyone heard of this? If so, what can you tell me about it?

I don't know if arugula is a moose deterrent or not. We grew some here, and sometimes add it to our basil in our making of home-made pesto. I can tell you that the moose left it alone, and that it liked the conditions in our herb beds better than nearly any, if not any, other herbs we grew.

The longer you leave it be, especially to the point of going to seed, the stronger the flavor will be. It goes from having a distinctive, full, pleasant flavor in its early life, to almost being too much as it matures and produces blossoms, then seeds..

I can also say that the moose weren't kept away from other areas of the garden by the presence of arugula, but then, we didn't exactly have a 'perimeter' of it around the garden, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    It is called Plantskydd. Anyone heard of this? If so, what can you tell me about it?
    Jeff Lowenfels (an Alaska gardening writer who is a member of the Garden Writers Hall of Fame) has written about Plantskydd quite a bit and recommends it to his readers. I haven't used it in the past, but probably will in the future. I know that he writes about spraying it in trees to protect them from moose, but I can't recall him saying anything about gardens.

Even if you had a perimeter of arugula, I would imagine that a hungry moose would simply stomp right over it to get to the stuff it wanted to eat. I know arugula is rich in vitamin C, so that would be a good reason to try and grow some.
    “There's a humorous side to every situation. The challenge is to find it.”
    George Carlin