Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Figure Eight Pike Report

Default Figure Eight Pike Report

Went to Figure 8 yesterday for some Pike. Did really well. Went with a group of friends. We caught 13 Pike, but would of had more if some of the guys would of gotten to the tip-ups faster. All fish were nice size. There was two older guys fishing about 100 yards from us. They pulled in about 20 pike. One of them showed us their biggest catch of the day. It was a monster 38" Pike. Trail conditions were good, but sometimes bumpy in the same areas along the trail. New snow on the ground. About 4" or so on the lake itself. Was beautiful out too, didn't need to put up the shanty. Ice was about 3 feet thick, give or take. Cant wait to go back again, but the trail always make me tired and sore the next day.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

Sounds like fun. Thanks for the report.

Thanks for the great report. I'm thinking of trying it out for the first time in a couple of weeks. How long of snowmachine ride to the lake? Also, did you need an extension for the auger? Three feet gets me almost to the end of mine. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuch View Post
    Thanks for the great report. I'm thinking of trying it out for the first time in a couple of weeks. How long of snowmachine ride to the lake? Also, did you need an extension for the auger? Three feet gets me almost to the end of mine. Thanks again.
    It takes about 45 mins to an hour, depending on the trail conditions. I did it on my quad hauling a sled in about an hour. Its about a 18 mile ride. I didn't need an extension, but came dang close. I would bring it just in case. Look at a topomap and look at the lake outline. There is a point about midsection that kind of divides the lake that sits on the east side of the lake. That is a great spot to fish (most points are). Bring herring, some zip lock bags and your fillet knife. You will be catching fish!!

I'm thinking about taking the nephew out there on Saturday, would you recommed the 4 wheeler or is there enough snow to take a sled? How was the little Su crossing? It looked pretty gnarly in early December.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

where exactly is the trailhead (parking) for fig8?

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I'm thinking about taking the nephew out there on Saturday, would you recommed the 4 wheeler or is there enough snow to take a sled? How was the little Su crossing? It looked pretty gnarly in early December.

The crossing the Lit Su in early Dec was a little hairy due to the lack of snow. On the way back I almost tipped my quad trying to get up the bank. I went last Saturday and it was great. You can take either a sled or quad. I have no issues using my quad to get to the lake.

near the little sue boat launch you will see the cars/truchs there, an they did charge to park, don't know the cost, use pipe line to the cutoff for the lake

Quote Originally Posted by ref+10 View Post
    where exactly is the trailhead (parking) for fig8?
    To get to the lake take the KGB to Point McKenzie Road. It will be a right hand turn off the KGB. Follow Point McKenzie Rd until it dead ends to a T intersection. Take a right at that intersection and follow it down to the parking area. Its not to far down the road a couple miles. The parking area will be on the right and is just right before the road that takes you to the boat ramp. If you hit the boat ramp you went way to far. You cant miss the parking area. Don't forget to bring a pen and $3 bucks. Thats the daily parking fee. To get to the lake from the parking area, take a right out of the parking area and keep straight. Do not take the first right that takes you to the boat launch. Just keep going straight for about 7+ miles or so until you see a small brown sign on the left point the direction to the lake. Don't miss the sign, it is easy to do and looks like a pipeline marker sign. Take that left and follow it straight for another 8+ miles. You will have to cross the Little Su first before you make the left turn to the lake. Also you will cross over two small lakes. On the 2nd lake crossing make sure you stay to the right side of the lake and look for the two trail markers sticking about 4 feet out of the ground. This points you to the correct trail you need to be on to get the Figure 8. All together its about 18 miles one way. You will know when you are on the lake, its pretty big. Any more questions just post.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoedawg View Post
    To get to the lake take the KGB to Point McKenzie Road. It will be a right hand turn off the KGB. Follow Point McKenzie Rd until it dead ends to a T intersection. Take a right at that intersection and follow it down to the parking area. Its not to far down the road a couple miles. The parking area will be on the right and is just right before the road that takes you to the boat ramp. If you hit the boat ramp you went way to far. You cant miss the parking area. Don't forget to bring a pen and $3 bucks. Thats the daily parking fee. To get to the lake from the parking area, take a right out of the parking area and keep straight. Do not take the first right that takes you to the boat launch. Just keep going straight for about 7+ miles or so until you see a small brown sign on the left point the direction to the lake. Don't miss the sign, it is easy to do and looks like a pipeline marker sign. Take that left and follow it straight for another 8+ miles. You will have to cross the Little Su first before you make the left turn to the lake. Also you will cross over two small lakes. On the 2nd lake crossing make sure you stay to the right side of the lake and look for the two trail markers sticking about 4 feet out of the ground. This points you to the correct trail you need to be on to get the Figure 8. All together its about 18 miles one way. You will know when you are on the lake, its pretty big. Any more questions just post.
    This is what PM's are for...
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Sweet, thanks man. Great Post! If I ever get my ATV down here I just might have to hit that place up.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Smile

thnx shoe

knew it was somewhere around little sue lndg

No Problem. You guys will enjoy the fishing there. I have seen some BIG lunkers pulled from there. Ill make sure to PM next time on directions, but though I could post it for everyone the first time. Good luck fishing.

Shoedawg,

THX for not pm'ing the info!....I wanted to take my kids there fishng, but didn't know how to get there!

THX again..

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    Shoedawg,

THX for not pm'ing the info!....I wanted to take my kids there fishng, but didn't know how to get there!

THX again..
    Because it isn't a secret. +1

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    Because it isn't a secret. +1
    Not a problem guys.

Caught between 20 and 25 pike at figure 8. Kept 5 ok sized fish and tossed the rest back (I prefer fresh fish to frozen) I only keep what I'm going to eat right away. Most were what I consider small. Morning was best. Bite died off afternoon a bit. Don't forget your poles, I caught 8 of 10 jigging a rubber pike lure. Guys with only tip ups didn't do nearly as good but everyone had fun. The fish came by and hit the flags all at once for only a few minutes and then it would slow down between bites. This is where jigging paid off. I would pull out 5 one after another with a rod while the action was good and the other guys had to put on new bait and reset their tip ups. I probably won't go back due to the fish size, but if you have kids you should give it a go. Get there early, at sun up I had problems getting all the traps set due to running between flags.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

I've wanted to hit that place for the last two years, but really need to go with someone who has been there before as I can just imagine taking a wrong turn and ending up on the news! The directions in full are a bonus, yet would still like to roll with someone who's been there done that! As a single dad of two under 4 years old, it's probably not a good idea to haul them along on a trip like this, so it would take some planning on my part, but I'm willing to bring the frosty beverages, bait, and my own gear if someone wants to haul this yooper transplant out that way! I have a quad, but have to borrow a trailer to get it there, so an empty spot on your trailer will also net you some gas money! Or I'll haul your trailer!
    Although some can call it Catchin', I still have to call it fishin'.

I under stand your how you feel, but if you have a GPS [mandatory on travel off the road] use the pipe line an follow it till you are north of the lake an then look for a well used trail going south an you have it , if you hit you run into a large boddy of frozen water you went to far you hit the BIG SUE keep an eye on the GPS unit
    PS the lake is south of the Main power line that runs EAST WEST out there, can't miss it [good fishing]

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanassasin View Post
    Caught between 20 and 25 pike at figure 8. Kept 5 ok sized fish and tossed the rest back (I prefer fresh fish to frozen) I only keep what I'm going to eat right away. Most were what I consider small. Morning was best. Bite died off afternoon a bit. Don't forget your poles, I caught 8 of 10 jigging a rubber pike lure. Guys with only tip ups didn't do nearly as good but everyone had fun. The fish came by and hit the flags all at once for only a few minutes and then it would slow down between bites. This is where jigging paid off. I would pull out 5 one after another with a rod while the action was good and the other guys had to put on new bait and reset their tip ups. I probably won't go back due to the fish size, but if you have kids you should give it a go. Get there early, at sun up I had problems getting all the traps set due to running between flags.
    Were you there today? I went with a buddy and there was only one group on the lake when we came out on a yellow 4 wheeler. We caught around 20 or some, 2 hitting the 27" mark. Kept nothing. Bite was awesome at first and light and then died. Yup lots of small fish, not surprising. Everyone and there mother goes out there to kill everything so it's a nice place to catch fish but not if you are looking for size.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast