Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you shoot?...

Default Where do you shoot?...

Another of my possibly dumb questions in regard to my quest to move to Alaska...

Where do you shoot?

If you live out of city limits, can you shoot pretty much anywhere, as long as it's public land or you have landowner's permission (like here in ND), or is it more restricted?

ND is a very rural shooter/hunter friendly state. My farmstead is 14 miles from town and I have a 60 yard archery range, 45 yard handgun range, 100 yard rifle range, and can shoot out to 600 yards on my neighbor's adjoining land. There is a paid membership Gun Club here but it takes about 30 minutes to drive there and as it adjoins the city landfill, use hours depend on when the sanitation guys are working.

I'm hoping Alaska will afford me the same simplicity to shoot as I have here...

A lot depends on where you live. In Anchorage I shoot at a range ran by the AK Fish & Game. Lighted and HEATED rifle range to 100 yds and unlighted pistol range to 50 yds. I go down for the social experience as well as shooting - I met a lot of nice people there and it beats hanging around in bars North of Anchorage there is another private range with longer ranges but it is a longer drive for me.

Biggest curse of AK is the limited road system - anywhere you can get to buy car is going to be relatively crowded. A boat or pane gives you a lot more options.

Quote Originally Posted by NDTerminator View Post
    Another of my possibly dumb questions in regard to my quest to move to Alaska...

Where do you shoot?

If you live out of city limits, can you shoot pretty much anywhere, as long as it's public land or you have landowner's permission (like here in ND), or is it more restricted?

ND is a very rural shooter/hunter friendly state. My farmstead is 14 miles from town and I have a 60 yard archery range, 45 yard handgun range, 100 yard rifle range, and can shoot out to 600 yards on my neighbor's adjoining land. There is a paid membership Gun Club here but it takes about 30 minutes to drive there and as it adjoins the city landfill, use hours depend on when the sanitation guys are working.

I'm hoping Alaska will afford me the same simplicity to shoot as I have here...
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

where are you going to live?

Sounds crazy but for a somewhat gun friendly state, its incredibly hard to find somewhere to shoot down here on the peninsula. The refuge is closed to target shooting, although some people do anyhow. I don't know the rules on shooting on state land but you can't get to much of it anyhow.

For now I am a gravel pit shooter. I carry out all my shells and any targets that I shoot at, though most shooters don't and eventually will ruin it for the me and my kids. When that day comes I will pay the $100 a year and shoot at Snowshoe.

If you have property outside of the city limits and it's safe to shoot on it (i.e not using your neighbors house as your back stop, you can but if you have near by neighbors they might not be happy with you)

Lots of the near by (to Anchorage) public areas are closed to shooting, those that are open seem to get discovered by the yahoos who then trash the place and the government agency that owns that property closes it down. We have lost a few over the years to trash shooters.

In the Anchorage/ Mat Su area there is 2 outdoor ranges, and one indoor range. There are military ranges that the local High Power rifle club gets to use for their 600 yd club shoots and I'm sure there are a few gravel pits that people use that I just don't know about.

In the city of Anchorage, you can shoot archery in your back yard (just don't shoot the neighbor) as long as it's safe. I used to shoot a long bow in my backyard with a 25 yd range but I have a "new neighbor" that moved in a few years ago and he spends every waking moment puttering about his back yard... I won't shoot if anybody is nearby and haven't been able to since he moved in. Grrr.

Cheers,

David

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    where are you going to live?
    Where ever I can find a job and house to buy, preferably out of town but a fairly close commute. Wife is open to anything except above the Arctic Circle. My guess is it will end up being in the Fairbanks area, at least to start.

The only specific regulation we have is that you can't shoot within 1/4 mile of an occupied buidling, but you can if you are on your own property or that af the adjacent landowner if you have permission, or if the adjacent land is a state or federal public use area.

BTW, thanks for the replies, guys..

I go ahead and pay the $60 some to Kodiak Island Sportsmans Assoc. for a year of range access.
    Indoor for handgun and .22LR,
    Outdoor 100yd range also, behind a locked fence ( somewhat eliminating yahoos) about ten minutes from my reloading bench , has good shooting benches etc.
    (tho no roof cover for benches YET, hint hint, that's my whine for the morning,
    it can be harsh shoveling snow to get started or soaking all your stuff when you get all set up and the rain comes sheeting down)
    Oh but we love the Island living tho

Also KISA membership Includes a 500yd range on the other end of town, behind a locked gate, wide open hours, we all get our own key, pretty cool option there, well worth the membership expense

It's nice to have some discipline out there, vs. out in the woods. There are a few free places around, but by the trashing going on, I'd never go shooting there, can't deal with the idea of trashy shooters, makes me nervous.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by NDTerminator View Post
    My guess is it will end up being in the Fairbanks area
    Fairbanks? Not to dis our Golden Heart City of the interior but you are talking about some of the wildest temperature swings in the world for a place where humans live... -60 with an ice fog followed by up to 100 deg in the summer is to much for me to handle. My hat is off to those who love living in the Fairbanks area.

I like the more moderate temperature range of the Anchorage/ Mat Su area with winter lows of -20 to summer highs of the 70's (and it has hit 80 in the past) along with the stronger economy.We just don't get that much snow.

As it's been said before in so many ways, Anchorage may not be Alaska, but you can see it from my porch.

Cheers,

David

On this subject, what is the status of shooting on the Jim Creek side of the Knik? I havn't been there in years and understand there are new restricions. What about the south side? I used to acess it from hunter creek off Knik river road with the 4 wheeler. Great place to shoot. Set up your target at a mile if you wish with good backstops.

The only place you can legally shoot in the Jim Creek rec area is on the north side of Maud Rd almost to Jim Lake. Shooting anywhere else in the Jim Creek Rec Area has been prohibited. There are a couple of spots in Sutton that people shoot a lot. The problem in Ak is that there aren't many secondary roads and most side roads are surrounded by private land. Once you get off the road system you can shoot just about anywhere. The trick there is that it's not easy to get off the road system. Every place close to Anchorage that has been used to shoot has been trashed by those wanting to shoot up a TV or Dryer with their AK and then leave the shot up peices. People that own the shot up mess usually close it to shooting before long and who could blame them. If you happen to be well off and have a small airplane, most of Ak is open to you as a few minutes flight will get you where you may not see anyone for days or longer.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Biggest curse of AK is the limited road system - anywhere you can get to buy car is going to be relatively crowded. A boat or pane gives you a lot more options.
    This is absolutely 100% true !

NDTerminator, my entire family is from North Dakota. Minot, Bismark, and Bottineau. My father and mother moved from ND back in the early 70s to Idaho (North Idaho) I grew up in North Idaho and in July of last year, my wife and I moved to Anchorage. Alaska has always been on my list of places to live. Since I was a little boy, this is where I wanted to be. Well I love to shoot guns. Back in Idaho, I could shoot pretty much anywhere I wanted. We had endless logging roads and mountains for my pleasure. I had a 600 yard shooting range built by the government back during WWII that I used often. Sadly, Fish and Game owned it and one of the guys with the department wanted to turn it into a commercial business. I was working for F&G at that time and it sickened me that one of our own would do this. I spent my entire childhood at this range. He took my beloved range and brought attention to it. I can no longer go shoot there in my own in privacy.

Losing my range, and wanting to move to Alaska brought us here. My wife got a job teaching and I transferred jobs. We have been here since July and I have no shot a gun once. There is simply no place here in Anchorage and Mat-Su area to shoot. There is Rabbit Creek Gun Range and Birchwood Gun Range. I don't shoot at payed and manned gun ranges. I like the open range, gravel pit shooting. I never leave a mess. My motto being in the woods is "pack it in, pack it out". I pack everything out, including the crap others leave behind.

I spend countless ours researching on Google Earth trying to find an area open enough and far enough from a home. Every road I follow leads to a home. There is such a lack of roads here. The places I have found are between 80 and 150 miles away one way. I don't even know if I can shoot there because I have to wait for winter to get over. Once the snow melts I can start to go explore. Still, I am going to be driving 200+ miles both ways just to shoot my guns. That is unexceptionable!

I am not telling you to not move here. However, if I knew what I know now before I moved, I would not have moved. I want to love Alaska. I want to find a place to shoot and enjoy this state. Unfortunately, this state is basically a tourist destination. You don't know how well you have it back in ND. You cannot get ammunition shipped up here. All ammunition/powder will have to be bought in this state. If you buy guns online, the sellers always tack on extra shipping charges which basically takes away the good deal you were going to get.

Since I am going to be here for a while (wife enjoys her job) I am hoping to meet someone who has a place to shoot. So far, no luck.

If I were you, find a place in the lower 48 to live. But come up here for vacation and fun.

I don't live in the Occupied Territory of Los Anchoros, so during the winter, I just drive about a mile and a half out onto the tundra and shoot towards a backstop. During the summer, that's a different story. Quite difficult to find a place to shoot with a backstop due to the number of small channels that run around the edges of the Kuskokwim. Been trying to talk the wife into an Argo to address this problem, but so far it isn't working.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I have a private 175 Yard shooting range in the backyard. One end has a heated 8'X12' shooting barn for shooting in the rain.

well, in our groups case, there used to be a great place to shoot just south of girdwood....a little pulloff called petersen creek, I know some people here remember it as it was a great place to pull over and make sure your gun was on before going hunting on the KP.....yea some jackass shot the railroad tracks there and they shut it down, not to mention all the jerks who trashed the place! now i gotta pay range fees just to shoot 100 yards at rabbit creek!? I "think" I found a nice 400 yard stretch out on the matanuska river but, we'll see later this spring if i can access it. Birchwood is nice but Im not paying $20 just to shoot less half a box to make sure im still dead on.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I have a private 175 Yard shooting range in the backyard. One end has a heated 8'X12' shooting barn for shooting in the rain.
    You are very lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    I don't live in the Occupied Territory of Los Anchoros, so during the winter, I just drive about a mile and a half out onto the tundra and shoot towards a backstop. During the summer, that's a different story. Quite difficult to find a place to shoot with a backstop due to the number of small channels that run around the edges of the Kuskokwim. Been trying to talk the wife into an Argo to address this problem, but so far it isn't working.
    LOL, you anti- Anchorage guys slay me

Well somebody's got to live in the bush, other wise the state's going to get rather lonely.

I for one, love living in Anchorage and I grew up in a small village.

Cheers,

DT

ph21:
    I really don't like to admit it but you are right on. If you can't find anywhere to shoot in your wanderings this spring PM me and we can get together. I can show you a couple of spots you can shoot that are within 25 miles or so of Anchorage. Another option is the yearly membership at the Birchwood range if you shoot a lot. Yeah, I don't like ranges much either but with the yearly membership you can use the range after normal hours and it's a lot quieter. I think it's still $175 per year. Alaska just doesn't have roads that go nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Alaska just doesn't have roads that go nowhere.
    Because we are a young state with no infrastructure but if we ask for money to build something, it becomes "pork" being wasted on a "road to nowhere".

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default In the back yard...

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast