Thread: my favorite mountain pants.....who needs sporthills

Default my favorite mountain pants.....who needs sporthills

I have been using the pants in the link for 2 solid seasons for all of my hunting that is above 20*. I have never found a faster drying lighter quieter pant that does not pick up every seed and burr there is and how can you beat the price? I wore them on a late season pheasant hunt expecting cold and snow.....when we arrived it was POURING rain. The pants have no membrane but the weave is much tighter then any other fleece I have seen and water seems to run off it w/out soaking in, the ankles of my pants could be wrung out but my thighs were perfect.

I have worn them on many hunts as warm as 65* and they are none too hot for me, I add a pair of long johns at about 30* if I am not climbing.

I have not seen this mentioned so I thoughtI would drop it for everyone. I don't think it can be beat for the money. I turned a hunting pal onto them and he loves em' kinda mad at himself for dropping thousands on stuff that was inferior when you could be cozy for cheap.

http://www.naturalgear.com/shoppingc...%20-%204PFP001

My favorite hunting/hiking/biking pant? Old Navy wind pants with a mesh lining. Seriously. I get them for $10, they dry incredibly quickly, keep me warm when it's windy, keep me cool when it's hot. They're not waterproof, so it's good to have something like a Marmot Precip pant to pull over them if it gets nasty, but otherwise they're all the pant I need.

I know, all of you "serious" hunters out there are thinking that it's ridiculous to buy hunting gear at Old Navy. I'm just telling you that it has worked for me on many sheep hunts, moose hunts, summit attempts, and more.

-Brian

I bought a pair of the Sporthill pants (camo) when they went on sale before Christmas. While I haven't worn in the mountains yet, honestly, I can't see what all the fuss is about them. Just from the first look, I like my Mountain Hardware's better. I am willing to give them a chance though, so hopefully they'll prove themself this fall. Right now, I'm not overly impressed.

Wink pants

highcountry;

thanks for the tip. no one can complain about the price...

You might consider the Swazi Micro Driback pants. They are made of 200 gm fleece with a waterproof seat for when you sit on the tundra.

http://www.swazi.co.nz/Online-Shop/C...icro-Dribacks/

Question Pants

I am going to look into all these pants further.
    Hey B_M, I looked at the "Old Navy" site but can't find the pants you mentioned. Is the name you used the actual name or should I look under something else?

later...

reuben....

wind pants, or swishy pants as my wife calls em', are too noisy for my liking, the nats are as quiet as berber. One additional thing I really like is the bottom of the leg has a stirrup that you can put around your boot to keep from snagging the cuff on brush/rocks.

Quiet and simple.......good plan, and the color is good just about everywhere.

Every year or two I go to the salvation army and pickup a couple pair of oversized dress wool pants. They are worn nearly every weekend from August 1st to the last day of January. Below 20 degrees PolyPros go under them. Wet they are warm, dry they are cool. Getting name brand with a large percentage of wool they are soft and last a long time. Not much help in salmon berry patches and devils club but they sure have made a huge difference not having to drag those sticky wet cotton and other types over my thighs going up the hill.

Works for me

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by B_M View Post
    My favorite hunting/hiking/biking pant? Old Navy wind pants with a mesh lining. Seriously. I get them for $10, they dry incredibly quickly, keep me warm when it's windy, keep me cool when it's hot. They're not waterproof, so it's good to have something like a Marmot Precip pant to pull over them if it gets nasty, but otherwise they're all the pant I need.

I know, all of you "serious" hunters out there are thinking that it's ridiculous to buy hunting gear at Old Navy. I'm just telling you that it has worked for me on many sheep hunts, moose hunts, summit attempts, and more.

-Brian
    Brian - I am with you on Old Navy! Every year at the end of January they have rediculous sales on almost all winter clothing in the store. Their fleece is nearly windproof and I live in the stuff! Tops and bottoms. I also stock up on work pants too. All of there stuff fits my small build really well.

Quote Originally Posted by 358 Hammer View Post
    Every year or two I go to the salvation army and pickup a couple pair of oversized dress wool pants. They are worn nearly every weekend from August 1st to the last day of January. Below 20 degrees PolyPros go under them. Wet they are warm, dry they are cool. Getting name brand with a large percentage of wool they are soft and last a long time. Not much help in salmon berry patches and devils club but they sure have made a huge difference not having to drag those sticky wet cotton and other types over my thighs going up the hill.

Works for me

Neal
    Neal - I do most of my bowhunting in wool outers. Lots of guys like fleece, but I can't stand picking burrs and other vegetation off of it after the hunt. With wool, I just run my knife blade perpendicular to the material and "shave" the stuff off, just like the old-time barbers!

Good post, I like the waterproof bottom on those Swazi, could be a little better than the tyvek I use

Joshua

Default How loose are the thighs?

Last year at my brother's suggestion I bought a pair of North Face Paramount pants that are short/long convertibles, but they don't give them away ($65). I used them on Kodiak my goat hunt last year, and they did great. Tight weeve, dry fast, comfortable, tough, and don't burr up.

You guys have mentioned some pants (Natural Gear and Old Navy) that have me curious because of their price and comfort, but I'm not a small build. I have 26" thighs with a butt and hips to match. (Power not speed ha, ha) The only pants I can wear are loose fit jeans and other stuff with baggy or loose thighs. Anyone else have the same problem and can you guys tell me how loose the two pants mentioned above fit?

they are roomy and stretch easily. I too have pretty decent sized quads and I have never seen a problem, not the baggy kid at the mall pants, but roomy. if you can wear a pair of relaxed fit jeans you will have no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by reuben_j_cogburn View Post
    I am going to look into all these pants further.
    Hey B_M, I looked at the "Old Navy" site but can't find the pants you mentioned. Is the name you used the actual name or should I look under something else?
    Reuben - Look here. I've had loud wind pants, as highcountry mentioned, but my wind pants from Old Navy have always been plenty quiet. I've stalked to within 30 yards of many animals wearing them (usually with my thin camo over them, but not always), and noise has never been an issue. Again, they're nothing technical, but for a day-to-day hunting/hiking pant that is light and dries quickly, I swear by these things.

-Brian

Mammut Champ pants. I have the Sporthills and the Mammut Champ pants are head and shoulders above the Sporthills.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt