Thread: Balancing visibility with hare density

Default Balancing visibility with hare density

I went out and made four stands yesterday over 8 hours of hiking - nothing called in other than three goshawks and an owl - and came away with questions regarding my stand locations. I figure that it's best to set up near prey sign (generally hares), but that it's also good to be in a location with fair visibility. The kicker, of course, is that hares tend to be at higher densities in thick cover, but those are areas that are tough to see what might be coming in. What do you guys do with regards to this issue? Do you set your caller right on the edge of thick cover and then watch from some distance away? It seems like this would work if the predator came along the edge of the cover, but if they approached from within you would likely never see them. I had a good time out yesterday, but was never really happy with the setups that I chose. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Brian,
    If there's lots of sign and you want to call it, I'd say grab the shotgun. Put the caller about 10 feet in front of you and try to pick the best spot with a small shooting area. Sit down low and just watch for movement in the brush. I say sit low because typically that brush has snow on it and standing doesn't let you see very far. You can get away with more movement in the thick stuff, so try to look to your sides and scan more than you would out in the open. If you can, try to find where the thick stuff kind of opens up to either taller timber or open areas and setup right along those with your caller aimed into the really thick stuff. Watch the wind direction for sure, because they'll sneak around in that thick stuff and be gone before you even know they were there. If you can't get into a good spot during the day, go at night and scan from any open areas into the thick stuff, they'll pop out and hiding their glowing eyes isn't possible unless they're heading away from you. Again, I'd say grab the shotgun for lighting them up too if they're within 50-60 yard shots and your gun/choke combo can touch out there. Hope that helps some.

What sort of call did you use and how often did you play it? Cats need a more steady call, or at least more often. Canines work better with less often. Cover would be the place to get the cats, more in the open for the dogs.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I was using a hare in distress call and played it continuously. I was in an area that I had primarily targeting for cats, but of course I would take any target of opportunity. I did take a coyote in a very nearby area once in the past, but like you said, it was more out in the open and I gave frequent rests to the calling. Interesting note...thanks for the feedback.