Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sitka setup on kodiak in November

Default Sitka setup on kodiak in November

I may have the oppotunity to hunt blacktails on Kodaik in November. I plan on using my new Winchester 70 extreme weather rifle with 180 grain partitions leaving at 2800 FPS. I mainly want this load just incase of bears. The 2-7 leupold I had on it fogged up and so I have sent it back and will have a vortex viper 2-7X32 on the rifle. I feel very confident on the setup if I do end up going?

Any reasons out there a different setup would be a better option? Or maybe a different load?

I've used my .270 with 130gr. If the equipment is shooting good then go and have a good hunt. Go loaded for deer because that is what you are going to be hunting.

oh ya...rifle is a 30/06

Default 06 for Kodiak

Since you are going to be on Kodiak Is. hunting deer, there is a chance of running into one of their big bears. I like to use 200 gr. partitions in my 06 and 300wsm when hunting on the Stikine River for moose as we have big BB's here also. They penetrate better than 180's and won't ruin much meat on a deer. my .02 worth

I haven't hunted on Kodiak, aren't the bears sleeping in November?

Many BBs on Kodiak don't really hibernate and may just take healthy cat naps.
    I am a member of the larger for caliber club as well (200g for 30 cal.) Slow it down a tad makes for great hunting and better penetration should the need arise.

I have hunted blacktails in Kodiak the last two years. 09' the first week in october and 10' the first week in November. Saw bears both times. They wont be sleeping....

IMO your rifle is perfect for deer hunting hunting over there. Your loads and setup will be fine. You likely wont much shooting over 250 yards at the very outside. I have filled my tags both years and never taken a shot over 100 yards. Dosent mean it wont happen, but in November the deer are or have started to rutt, they are down lower off the moutains because of the snow and with the brush and trees, its just not likely you will need to shoot that far. 30-06 and 180g is an excellent choice. I personnally hunt with a 338wm and 180g accubonds for deer and only try to take head/neck shots, but that just because the gun is my old trusted " all around" rifle and I like it. If I didnt already have this gun, I would not hesitate to hunt Kodiak blacktails with a setup exactly like the one you are talking about. Go Get Em'

Quote Originally Posted by green sourdough View Post
    Many BBs on Kodiak don't really hibernate and may just take healthy cat naps.
    I've heard something like that before from a less reliable source. Perhaps that's why they get so big...

First thing about hunting somewhere new is to read the Regs. You will find that for Kodiak that Griz season was Oct 25 - Nov 30 in 2010 and likely will be the same in 2011. That should give you an idea of whether bears will be around or not, they will! Over 100 harvested last year, so they are really around. Also if Deer hunting in November you will be hunting 'off road system' and will be out on foot/ATV in the boonies trying to find your deer, so your chances of a bear encounter are higher. Not wishing to scare, but you asked the question!
    Will your load be enough for a blacktail, yep, a .223 would take one out. Will it be enough for a bear, who knows, but I would personally go heavier if you want that option. A couple of ADF&G guys were across on Afognak last Oct on a deer hunt and had a run in with a Sow, it took 3 rounds of 375 H&H to stop the attack (and kill the bear) but not before it mauled one of the guys and tore a few pieces out of his butt and thigh. Just to emphasise the 'heavy for caliber' requirement.

After about ten trips to Kodiak for deer we finally experienced some bear "difficulties" the last trip. While we were never charged or had our camp destroyed the encountered proved to me that sooner or later it most likely would happen.
    I'll never go back without at least a .338 Win Mag or bigger.
    Tennessee

hap

Before the advent of various premium monolithic bullets an argument could be made for heavy-for-caliber bullets... HFC technology was surpassed a very long time ago. Today's 150gr TSX in a 30-06 for example will probably not be stoppable by a deer, even on end.

Further, the excessive damage done by cup and core bullets wastes a terrific amount of meat compared to the TSX. The X bullets literally leave a hole through shoulders with an option of eating right up to the hole. I have shot a bunch of critters with the X bullets in various iterations and have yet to recover a bullet. That would include two Kodiak bears.

I have shot an even dozen deer on Kodiak that have been officially measured at B&C sizes, including one in the top 25 all-time. All of this by way of saying I pay a lot of attention to Kodiak critters and have for over 30 years.

Bears as bullet stoppers are way over-rated. Just tried to find a photo I took of a fresh brown bear scapula with a Rober Ball knife on the back side. The knife has a bright orange handle and shows clearly THROUGH the scapula! It was only an 8 1/2' bear, but 17 years old... That is not the stuff of legend building hardness. Goats, moose, and caribou all have thicker and harder bones than brown bears.

Giving up a whole lot of speed to push inferior bullets into critters as they fall apart is anything but a good compromise IME&O. I have also shot Kodiak deer at 10' to over 500 yards. Shooting far is a real possibility on Kodiak. Leaving "long" on the counter makes no sense. Thinking the 30-06 is anything but perfectly adequate is also a mistake, as long as it is properly fed. And the 308 with true premium bullets is a far better choice than the 06 with any cup and core...
    YMMV

Winchester shooter - WHY wouldn't you have your Leupold repaired at the factory and use it ? It will give you much better service than any Vortex ... for that matter, get yourself a new FX 3 in 6 x 42 and give it a try - completely adequate power, tough as "nails", absolutely astounding optics

I have hunted Kodiak a fair bit in Nov......you'll see bears. I hunt with a 7-08AI with 140gr TSX bullets. I've never had to shoot a bear but I have shot to try and scare them off.....never seems to work. I do know that a waving an 8x10 tarp in the wind works good!

hap.....do you have any pictures of those B&C blacktails? Would love to see some. They are a beautiful animal and a blast to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    Winchester shooter - WHY wouldn't you have your Leupold repaired at the factory and use it ? It will give you much better service than any Vortex ... for that matter, get yourself a new FX 3 in 6 x 42 and give it a try - completely adequate power, tough as "nails", absolutely astounding optics
    I have nothing against Leupold, except this is my second scope to go bad, Plus to my eye the vortex viper is on par with any vx-II and after a recent coyote hunt in snow and 10 degree weather it performed great.

I think I am going to probably stick with 180 grain partitions, but I use to love the Fail Safe so I may buy a box or two of the 180 Winchester XP3 and see how they perform.

Does anyone have any experiences good or bad with this bullet?

Also with shot distance I am personally comfy to about 350 max so there really won't be any LOOOONG range shooting for me.

hap

Quote Originally Posted by Finley View Post
    I have hunted Kodiak a fair bit in Nov......you'll see bears. I hunt with a 7-08AI with 140gr TSX bullets. I've never had to shoot a bear but I have shot to try and scare them off.....never seems to work. I do know that a waving an 8x10 tarp in the wind works good!

hap.....do you have any pictures of those B&C blacktails? Would love to see some. They are a beautiful animal and a blast to hunt.
    Actually you have seen at least a couple in person... A bud bought a huge revolver from you, we spoke at the Menard sports complex gunshow, and I did an FFL transfer for you some time back... That should ring a bell or two. Would be happy to let you handle them in person if you like... the biggest one is entered and another much smaller deer is also entered, but the rest have only been officially measured...
    art

hap

Quote Originally Posted by Winchestershooter View Post
    I have nothing against Leupold, except this is my second scope to go bad, Plus to my eye the vortex viper is on par with any vx-II and after a recent coyote hunt in snow and 10 degree weather it performed great.

I think I am going to probably stick with 180 grain partitions, but I use to love the Fail Safe so I may buy a box or two of the 180 Winchester XP3 and see how they perform.

Does anyone have any experiences good or bad with this bullet?

Also with shot distance I am personally comfy to about 350 max so there really won't be any LOOOONG range shooting for me.
    I have enough experience with the FailSafe and the Partition to fill a jar with recovered bullets. I hate recovered bullets.

I have shot a lot more stuff with X bullets in various iterations and am still waiting to recover my first bullet...

Regarding you Leupold scopes to go bad, was it 2 different scopes ? You are an anomally from anything I know of about Leupold - Mechanical stuff will fail, it's just in the nature of the "beast" but where will you send your Vortex when it goes bad and what kind of service will you receive ? Leupold VX 2's are what used to be the VariX 3 line and I guarantee that there are 100X more of those older scopes providing trouble free service than all Vortex scopes combined - That said ... I guy has to use what he feels best about and I won't argue about that (but I will continue to use and recommend Leupolds thank you) Zeiss Conquest is a pretty nice scope line too but service is
    S L O W from what I am told - Leupold .. American made and assembled (woot woot)

hap, I'm surprised that you actually recovered Failsafes? I can believe NPs, but I considered Failsafe to have been on the same performance level as the Barnes. Too bad they went away. I used to shoot Failsafes out of my 06 exclusively when I was buying factory ammo. (reloading wasn't permitted in Coast Guard housing) I shot the 165gr because it shot flatter, had great terminal performance, and still retained more weight than a 180NP.

I agree with your passion to use Barnes, but I wouldn't do so at the exclusion of having recipes for and using NPs. They're an excellent bullet too.

Any thoughts/experiences on Hornady 165 GMX superformance load? I went back out and put a box through the rifle from the bench and they grouped the best of anyload I have tried so far....3 shots just outside 1/2" and was leaving the 22" tube at 2900 FPS. If this bullet is as good as advertised, I may have found my load.

Should be a good performer. I haven't shot any game with it yet because my load development in 7mm-08 (139gr) didn't prove as accurate as the Accubond, but I haven't given up yet. Bullet construction is on the same level as the Barnes, which is why I was trying it after having trouble getting the TTSX to shoot well enough. The field reports that I've read also put the GMX performing similarly to the Barnes.

Sounds like you're using factory ammo, but even so, you might find the GMX bullet shape in comparison to the TTSX interesting. I've included a couple pictures that show the 139GMX next to the 140TTSX. The GMX ogave is most definitely different than the TTSX. In determining my max COAL for both bullets, I found that if I loaded a GMX round and TTSX round to the same OAL, the GMX bullet will have to jump 46 thousandths more than the TTSX. Pretty easy to see why when you look at the bullet shapes. The GMX is shaped like a dart with a boat tail. Consequently, the GMX has a higher BC than the TTSX......486 vs. .412.

GMX_TTSX2.jpgGMX_TTSX3.jpg

Since you've found the GMX shooting well, I'd say you've found a great round. It's not a round I'd intentionally go after BB's with, but in a tough situation, that bullet should be a good one for breaking bones and penetrating. Your chorono speed is very close to Hornady's table (2940), which they have hitting -7" at 300yds with a 200 yd zero.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast