Thread: Suzuki DF140 vs. DFI 2-strokes

Default Suzuki DF140 vs. DFI 2-strokes

I'm looking to repower my 17'3" Wooldridge Sport 2000 (max prop 140, max jet 150). I plan to run both a prop and jet, as I can run for 2 hours and not need the jet, but when I need a jet, I really NEED it. Furthermore, gas is $5.50/gal out here in Bethel and my "after work" runs are about an hour upriver with no need for a jet.

I was pretty dead set on a Mercury Optimax or an Evinrude E-Tec, and I'd still say that those are my 1st choice for an outboard, but after multiple conversations with owners, dealers and boat manufacturers, the Suzuki 140 keeps coming up in conversation. So, I'm wondering if I may be making a mistake with the 2-strokes?

My biggest concern with the Suzuki is the hole shot compared to that of the DFI 2-strokes. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm primarily interested in the difference when using a JET. Any suggestions?

The Sport has a 72" bottom width if memory is correct?

I have a DF 140 on a 20 foot boat, primarily bought it to use as a jet, but have since bought a prop lower and use both. I like the motor, but will try to be unbiased. The last few boats I have had were both 4 strokes, so no recent experience with the newer 2 strokes.

The DF is quiet, I can run w/o ear protection and can generally carry on a conversation in the boat at normal voice levels at most throttle posistions, I like that alot.

With the Jet at 5200-5400 it will burn between 9-10 gph, I dont normally run WOT, but thats what it will burn, with the jet it will plane about 2500 pounds. With the prop on I would typically run between 4.5 to 6.5 GPH, depending on how fast you want to go, for me at those gph the speed would be mid 20's to low 30's. The prop is pitched to max out 6000-6200 rpm.

I have not done any weight testing with the prop, but I know it would carry more than what it carries with the jet.

Whole shot with the jet when light is under 4 seconds to get on step, I am happy with that, but maybe the 2 strokes can do better. what really hurt my hole shot was when I put the lift on the boat and hence set the motor back some 5". I would have never thought it would have that big of an effect, but it did.
    I eventually cured that problem with the addition of some floatation pods on the transom. made a huge diffrence and got back what I lost. I think that is the penalty for big motors on a narrow hull. Mine is 60" wide at the bottom and with the Sport at 72", you may not have that problem. And I am assuming you are planning on a lift so you can swap between the jet & prop?

The DF is light for its HP, 410#, the merc 135/150 is 431#, unless you go with the 125 at 375#. The e-rudes 150 is 418#, the 130 is 390#.

And of course no 2s oil to buy............hope this helps.................
    Maintenace has been minimal so far..................
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

This debate never seems to end and every one has a different opinion so will offer some information. I owned a Wooldridge with a Optimax 200 prop and the guys I hunted with ran a Etec and a Honda.

Best fuel consumption of the three was the Optimax comparing all three over two trips up north hunting moose and carrying heavy loads.
    Hole shot - The Optimax lead by a wide margin followed by the Etec.
    Noise - The 4 stroke Honda was the quietest in the group, the Optimax was the loudest.

Realize I didnt include the Suzuki's in my comments but in general think the DI's 2 strokes will still give you the best hole shot and the most power in the "seat of the pants".

Also, if you plan on switching from jet to prop and back invest in a Powertrans jack plate. It offers 7.5 inches of lift which allows you to switch over without remounting the motor. DI oil can get expensive but the Amsoil DI oil worked perfectly in the Optimax and was about 1/3 the price of the Mercury oil.
    Tennessee

Best fuel consumption was the Optimax? Even over the Honda? That's crazy. I never would have expected that. That definitely gives me something to think about. If the fuel consumption isn't going to be that much greater with the 4-stroke, I'd rather guarantee a solid hole-shot and stick with the DFI 2-stroke's.

i've heard the suzuki's got pretty impressive hole-shot power compared to other 4-strokes

Even though the fuel economy was better with the Optimax by about 7-8% (if memory serves me correctly) some, if not all of the savings is off set by having to purchase the DI oil.
    But the hole shot was in another world compared to the Honda. But the Etec was **** close to the Optimax.
    Tennessee

Seems like everyone out here in Bethel has an Optimax, so I guess that's saying something. I do like what I've heard about the E-tecs. Some guys swear by 'em. It's just a real tough call. I could pretty much buy any of them, it's just difficult to know what's the right one.

Orelk6x6, if you decide to go with the DF 140, give Peninsula PowerSports a call to see what they can do. 283-5294. I have been treated great by them for all my outboards.

just make sure you can get good service too...if the service for the opti is better you might want to lean that way out there or vice-versa

OREL.. what did you end up getting?

You won't see many E-TEC's on charter boats because they have to many problems, I have pulled more E-TEC's off of boats than put on!! IMO just say no to drugs and E-TEC's they can mess up your life. Bayweld in Homer is putting Honda or Suzuki on most of thier boats now. The last few years out of Homer the Troppers had E-TEC's thats why there was no inforcement on the water most of the time.