Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What hunt does everyone have planed for 2011

Default What hunt does everyone have planed for 2011

Going to be a big year for me and my 11 year old son, going to start the season bear baiting, then up the hall road with the boat for some caribou when we get back going to ND for some dove and deer hunting with the bows. When we get back spend the rest of the weekends hunting moose in the Big-Su

After I win all of my draws I'll be hunting deer, caribou, bison sheep & goat.

Default Planed, you say?

I have no hunts "planed". Probably be driving.

The luck of the draw will dictate where I drive to, and if I win no caribou or moose permits, I will concentrate on black bear on the peninsula.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    After I win all of my draws I'll be hunting deer, caribou, bison sheep & goat.
    Dang, KTKN-
    Sheep and goat at your age. I'm impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Dang, KTKN-
    If I draw I will be hunting caribou, moose, sheep, goat, grizzly bear, elk, deer......but if I don't draw I will be hunting caribou, moose, sheep, goat, grizzly bear, elk, deer, gotta love living in AK!!

This is the first year in a few that I've had something planned out a while in advance. I often make my plans a few days in advance, though we've already got a Kodiak deer hunt penciled in for the first week of August. I know I'll also be doing some spring black and brown bear hunts, but where and when are still mostly question marks. I also know that I'll be hunting Unit 13 caribou on the first weekend after opening day, but that first trip will likely be devoted to helping others fill their tags. I'll probably also spend a weekend or two chasing sheep, goats, or bears, but again, the where and when are not set. I've always got lots of ideas, but not so many plans.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Dang, KTKN-
    You can go anywhere with a walker that's a 4x4.

starting out bait for bears,, then fishing, then moose,moose and more moose... I'm seeking the 60+ I saw last year 4 hours before the close of the season, I knew it was getting dark and there was a 3 hr walk ahead so I chose to wait until this year.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

A spring black and brown bear hunt on the Stikine River. Then a long moose hunt in the same place. Deer from Aug-Dec.

Killing a moose is my top priority in 2011. Regardless of whether I draw a permit or not, I am going to do my darndest to get a moose. A sheep and bou are second but also priority an a nice brown bear might be in the works for the spring.

Not really planning for these but they are part of the schedule, Blacktail in August, and again in late November/December,
    Hope to Look for Mt Goat again this year, after the coats are full, probably a combo with Deer in late fall.

Even if I don't draw, I'll be hoping to get into the Elk Herd a bit, try to go with a Cow or young bull this year.
    And will be looking for the "Just Right" Coastal Bear, using lots of judging and discretion.

What I am kind of "dream level planning," is a hunt outside this year, Montana, Eastern Plains area for Pronghorn and Mule Deer,
    Now that's gonna take some planning, hope to pull something like that off.

I haven't hunted outside the state since about '91
    Those Montana guys got me thinking tho, Cool Country, so different than ours up here

Honestly, if I pull off any two or three of all those, I'll be happy.
    I do tend to be somewhat of an overplanner
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Going to take all my leave an put it on a two week trip up to the Sag. Hopefully the boat will be able to get on step!

Well after I get my fall kodiak permit I will be on a blacktail brown bear combo . Actually We've put a deposit down on a cold foot fly out caribou, bear, and wolf hunt. Then a late season moose hunt in 16b. I'll have to save my vacation in case I win that kodiak permit and a bison.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Starting out with Spring Grizzly Bowhunt at Eklutna Lake, likely won't get a bear but its fun to be out there.
    Bear baiting from May-end June, looking forward to it, hoping to have a good year.
    Haul Rd. Caribou hunt in August
    Moose hunt in sept. hoping to draw a Ft. Rich Moose tag
    Possibly bowhunt whitetail and mule deer in Washington in the fall.
    Got a Whitetail hunt booked in Kentucky for late archery season.
    Looking like a good year!

Well, last year was a great year with my son starting it off with a nice black bear and then I followed it up with an archery Griz and an archery elmendorf moose. This year is going to be my year for a archery black bear or two or three, and another Griz hunt followed by whatever tags I draw.
    If the draw doesnt work out for me then there will be some sort of moose, sheep and caribou hunt with a possible goat hunt thrown into the mix. As many of those as possible with my bow. My hunt planning is always pretty flexible, but this year I can tell you I am going to be hitting it harder than ever!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

I'll be doing some Black Bear hunting in the spring with my bow, nothing too serious though. In June I'll be hunting the 20,320 foot level on Denali, then in August I'll be hunting sheep somewhere, then in September I'll hopefully get Moose out of the way and spend more time hunting sheep and or goats...Aklanche has it right--we live in a pretty sweet spot.

If I don't draw an archery Bighorn tag here in Colorado, I'm planning on a Dall Sheep hunt in August or a Brown Bear hunt in October. I killed a great ram in the Chugach range a few yrs ago but want to make a run at one w/ my bow.

I'll hunt muley's here in CO and Whitetail in KS. Everything else is up in the air until the western draws are complete.

My big hunt this year will be for sheep in the Brooks Range. Maybe I'll be lucky enought to get a nice caribou and/or grizzly too. I'd love to go after a moose with my bow but just not sure I'll have the time or ability to do that. I may try to go up the Haul road for several days too, last year was a lot of fun.

Default this next year

Me and a buddy will take our big green canoes out to snag a caribou each opening day in 13 (wearing orange; its going to be busy), then later we'll have to go a little farther looking for a moose in the same area.

Oh yea, plus we'll hunt a bison or two in unit 20D. Going for a 2 to 3 year old.

I'm waiting to see what the draw permits do for me this year. I'll be hunting anything that I draw unless I win everything (5 different species). If I don't get any more love from the permit system, I'll be looking for, as my wife puts it, something meaty. So that would be a caribou or moose. If my brother in law is able to hunt with me up here after he gets back from the middle east, then we'll probably be in search of sheep, mostly for him, but maybe for both of us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast