Thread: Dipnetting from a Drift Boat?

Default Dipnetting from a Drift Boat?

I am contemplating purchasing a kicker for my 17' Willie DB, but cant see spending the money unless I can utilize it for Dipnetting the Kenai and or the Kasilof. Has anyone attempted this or seen this attempted? any info would be much appreciated.
    thanks

My wife and I borrowed a friends Drifter, and dipped at the mouth of Kenai from it. We had a little 3 horse 4 stroke on it. It worked fine- not as well as some other setups, but better than beach dipping. We ran out of fuel and I rowed for a while, catching a few more fish that way, before I bagged it in favor of rowing in before the current got too strong for my back. On some drifts it actually worked better to row, as I had a lot more control of the boat than with the motor. We felt like a little cork bobbing around on all the big powerboat wakes, tide surge and wind.

His dad also dipped from it, and did well. The other advantage you'll have with a kicker is you can float the Middle Kenai, get across Skilak Lake easily, and as you're doing the float to Bings, be able to motor back up through some of the good holes. There is some terrific red and coho fishing in that stretch, as well.

Thanks for the quick reply. I never thought about rowing for more control. Great Idea.

I've seen people use a diverse range of craft, I even saw people dipping from a pontoon boat last year. I think I would avoid a boat with little freeboard due to wake from the big jet boats, but a drift boat should be fine.

Default boat dipping on the kenai

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    My wife and I borrowed a friends Drifter, and dipped at the mouth of Kenai from it.
    I don't mean to be the keystone cop here, but is that legal? I thought you had to be upriver from the mouth if dipping from a boat.

I think its legal to do what your're saying at Kasilof though.

You can only dip by boat from the Kenai city ramp to the WA Bridge. Most people I know consider and call the stretch of the river from the ramp to the first bend "the Mouth". It's not the mouth, but what the heck.

My family and I dip from the WA Bridge down to the first bend, few boats and we always came away with all the fish we wanted. Last time we spent about 4 hours, saw 6 other boats and came away with 30+ reds. I've ridden the rodeo, dipping by the Bridge is much calmer.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    You can only dip by boat from the Kenai city ramp to the WA Bridge. Most people I know consider and call the stretch of the river from the ramp to the first bend "the Mouth". It's not the mouth, but what the heck.

My family and I dip from the WA Bridge down to the first bend, few boats and we always came away with all the fish we wanted. Last time we spent about 4 hours, saw 6 other boats and came away with 30+ reds. I've ridden the rodeo, dipping by the Bridge is much calmer.
    That's true, but as a reminder for those of us with larger motors: the 50hp rule kicks in downriver from the bridge.

Sayak, you mean upriver from the bridge for 50hp or less, right?
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

I did that for several years. I used my drift boat the most on the kenai and could not afford another boat, so I made it work. It took a bunch more time of course, but not nearly as long or frustrating as fishin off the bank. I used a 5hp motor on a 17 clackacraft. The BIG nets are too much for the motor to steer the boat and/or push it against a strong current. It took about 15 minutes to loop back up and make another run. It was a breeze at the launch though. A extreme low tide the power boats can't launch because of too much mud at the bottom of the ramp. You just have to get a drift boat close. We saved hours of waiting in line by launching/taking out at the lowest tide.

We drifted mondays for kings all the way to the mouth and tried to drift out the outgoing tide to the ramp dipping. It work well a few times but made for a long day. Once, we caught 12 kings each (two of us, 24 total), none of great size. Then we drifted to the ramp and had about 10 reds. A good 16 hour day. All worth it. We also timed it wrong once and got towed back to the ramp.

You should have a kicker for the drift boat no matter what, even if you don't do the dipping goat rope. It works great for take outs on the Kasilof and getting across skilak. If you have not done the canyon, you are not using your boats true potential. I use it a lot on the middle kenai to make runs back up for rainbows then motor down the last 1/2 to Bings before it gets too dark in late fall. You can use it as a bay slug in seward when the silvers are at the beaches. The drift boat will back troll the kenai for Kings in July (you might want to get the skinny on this first, there are alot of unwritten rules to this one). I have been down the Susitna (not back up). The list goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Sayak, you mean upriver from the bridge for 50hp or less, right?
    Yup. Thanks for clarification. 50hp or less, 4-cycle, or that other kinda 4-stroke wanabe (but actually 2-stroke), from the sign on up river; or 50 hp or under 2 or 4 stroke in months other than July and.... uh... other confusion.

I look at it this way, if you run into trouble, somebody will help out. I always rescue a guy that loses an oar or something, just flag your arms and one of us guys will help out. Just yelp out and we will be there!!! If you have a small power unit, stay above by the bridge, you will still get your fish and won't have to deal with the power boats screaming by.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Thanks again for all the great info.