Thread: looking for a spot to crab,halibut and river fish.

Default looking for a spot to crab,halibut and river fish.

I have been to Alaska three times and every time i go i want more of an adventure. We have only river fished for salmon and would like to add some crabbing or halibut fishing or both to our next trip. We really love the fight of a red salmon and we are planning on going around the peak of there run to do some river fishing but would also like to do the salt water deal to. So if you have any info on a spot that would cover both it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheeser-
    I would suggest Homer in August during the silver salmon run. You could headquarters in Homer, run back up the Sterling Highway to the Anchor River, Deep Creek, Ninilchik, etc. for silvers. Out of Homer, after July 15, you can drop a pot for Tanner crab. And out of Homer you can have great halibut fishing and troll for those famous feeder kings we have here.

Here's a link to the ADF&G regulations page.

I'd also recomend a combined halibut silver salmon trip. You might want to consider Seward in the middle/end of July, as you'll be a short drive to the Kenai/Russian for fishing reds in the river.

As far as crabbing, there aren't alot of options for doing it on a charter.

You could try Prince of Wales Island, but I'm not sure about any red salmon there (though there may very well be some). Or Kodiak, but I'm not sure about the crabbing there....