Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your go to hunting bullet for 30-06 & .375 Ruger?

Default What is your go to hunting bullet for 30-06 & .375 Ruger?

I am looking for one bullet for the 30-06 and .375 Ruger for all-around hunting deer, black bear, moose, caribou and if lucky on day Brown bear. Instead of have 5 different loads for each gun, just have one. I have read on the Nosler Partitions, looking for something that would be good to 300 yards.

Thanks

30-06 I use the high energy 180 gr Nosler Partition. The one the RMEF endorses. A little big for deer but allot of times I am hunting deer I am concerned with larger critters too.

I buy 7.62X54R milsurp by the case...........you could do that with 30-06, practise, practise, practise, and become a "one Rifle" kinda guy
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

180grn Nosler Partitions in my .30-06', I do not own or shoot a .375 caliber, but if I did I use a Nosler Partition in it as well, same as I do in my .338WM.

Nosler Partitions offer what I believe is the perfect balance of expansion and penetration. There are many choices and I have not tried them all, so YMMV =)
    Afflicted by condition human

300 grain TSX with RL17 for my .375 Ruger. Going about 2670ish fps.

Brett

Nosler Partitions.
    Now what ?

180 grain Nosler partition ya might want to take a look at this thread for the '06

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ose-with-30-06

good huntin!

I have two favorites......180 grain scirocco and 180 corelokts........have taken grizzlies and black bears, moose, deer, idaho elk, and mt. goats with them and ive never had any problem. corelokts work great and there not too expensive. if i had to choose only one that would be it.

Release Lake Trout

I use the 180 grain Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Bearclaw HE in 30-06 when I can find them (I believe they are discontinued) or the Federal Premium 180 grain Nosler Partition HE. I have a .375 H&H and use Federal 250 Grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaws in it.

180 grain Barnes TSX for the 30-06, though I shoot a 300 WSM, and 300 grain North Fork soft point for the .375, H&H not Ruger. Bear Claws and Partitions are great as well as others have stated.

For 30/06 - Hornady 165 gr BTSP or SST in front of 53.4 grains IMR4350. ~2700 fps. Has killed moose, elk, sheep, goat, black bear, mule deer, and antelope. Every bullet recovered (when recovered) has had good weight retention and excellent expansion.

No advice on the 375.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Thank you for the information, I will go with the Nosler Partition bullets.

Default 375 h&h

I am using the Barnes Tsx 300 grain with my 700 XCR 375 H&H and have yet to recover a round. I can't say what kind of weight retention since I am yet to have one not pass through. I am very happy with their performance. Haven't used any Nosler but would definitely try them as I have heard nothing but good about them.

reading the gunrags shooters would believe only the latest ultra, short, or superspeed cartridge will cleanly take game. the fact is the 30-06 has been "quietly" dropping big game ( including the great bears ) for a century. you are wise to use one. as to the bullet i am partial to the 165gr remington core-loct. also available commonly in 180gr this premier hunting bullet hast taken just about everything that is hunted in north america. at about 1/2 the cost of the high priced models, it's lethality is unquestioned, and has killed more game than any other bullet extent.

loaded with most any moderate burning powder, this versitle round will serve you well and at an affordable cost. this revelation won't sell magazines though....so don't expect to see it often in print
    it is and will always be a favorite of mine.
    happy trails.
    jh

Without any question the 180gr. Swift Scirrocco they have never let me down and that is the only bullet I shoot thru my .06

In the 375 Ruger a 270 Grain TSX loaded with RL17 to about 2840 fps is hard to beat.

In my .06 I use the Federal Premiums in the 165 btsp and have been 100% happy with them. Deer, moose, and elk, zero problems. It's also the most accurate factory load I've found for my gun.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

180grn Nosler partitions you cant beat them.

my humble vote.

ammo.JPG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast