Thread: Besides using traps...

Question Besides using traps...

...what's the benefit of having a trappers license? I was talking with a friend and he said you could spotlight if you had one. That's poaching where I grew up. Is that true here? Where are the regs concerning that and other trapping regs?

Thanks,
    Yogi

Not sure where you grew up, but there are lots of states that allow using a light to take predators at night.
    I do not believe that a light is leagl except for TRAPPING - certainly not legal for moose, bears, bou, etc.
    Trapping limits are greater than game license limits. IE - check limits for fox in unit 14.

Lights are allowed for night hunting of predeters in every state I have hunted in. However to answer your question the advantage of a trapping license is simple, more hunting opertunities! With few exceptions, the only one that comes to mind is beaver in road Alaska, you can harvest anything with a rifle that you can with a trap and do it during the trapping season. Marmot can only be harvested under a trapping license.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

You'll find the answers you seek under the "Methods and Means" section of the trapping regs near the front of the book. Yes lights are legal for use at night for predator hunting. A trapping license will give you a longer season and bigger limits on fur bearers/fur animals (read the definitions) than the hunting regs do.
    Now what ?

Yes lights are legal for use at night for predator hunting.
    Meant to add under the trapping regulations.
    Now what ?

I checked the regs, it appears to me that it is not legal to use "artificial light" to take game. Spotlighting is what I refer to. It states you may use light to track and shoot wounded animals, but I can't find anything that says you can "spotlight" animals, predators or otherwise. Am I blind?

Not blind just lookking in the wrong book. Look in the trapping regs.

Supporting Member

Yogi,
    See page 13 (Seventh bullet statement under "You May Not") of the 2010-2011 Alaska Trapping Regulations. It is legal to use artificial light for the taking of furbearers from Nov. 1st - March 31st in Units 7 and 9-26 during an open season.

Thank you Spike. I read that earlier today and stopped short after the print in italics read as if it referred to a certain kind of trap. Terrible format to change gears mid sentence like that.

This thread can be put to rest.