Thread: Metal detectors

Default Metal detectors

I've been thinking of getting a metal detector to use when I'm out in the hills. I have heard that some will detect gold also. Is there a certain feature or type that does this? What are some good brands that a person should look for? Thanks

The short version is yes, there are things that set good gold detectors apart.
    Try this link. You'll find lots of info on detectors & a good selection for sale.

http://www.akmining.com/
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

The most popular brands are;
    Fisher (gold bugs)
    Whites (goldmaster)
    Tesoro
    and the high priced Minelabs
    Any of the first 3 will find gold. Not sure about Whites but Tesoro and Fisher have lifetime warranties. Expect to pay anywhere from $350 to $700 for a gold detector. But if you are the type of person who thinks they want the best a top of the line MInelab will set you back at least $3500. In my opinion the others will find the same nuggets as the Minelab. Some good info on detectors can be found at www.thetreasuredepot.com including some great dealers and private deals as well. Good luck and I hope you can tame the bug.

Mike

I've done a bit of research on detectors but haven't gotten one yet. Where you are detecting has a big impact on which the best detector is for you. The characteristics of the ground and gold have a big impact on which detector is best.

Definately stop by AMD for the low down on detectors. They occasionally have some used outfits.

the fisher gold bug 2 is realy good especialy at finding small nuggets the size of a grain of rice!. I use a minelab eureka gold also a good unit they both run about $800.

I'd recommend either a White's MXT, easy to use and a good gold detector or a Minelab Xterra 70, also a great gold detector but a little bit more difficult to use. At least for me.

my tesoro lobo hasnt upset me yet.

a couple years ago, i was out fourwheelin in the fall. the weather was kinda cold, and darned if you know it, my wedding ring slipped off my muddy hand as i was shaking it off. to make a long story short, i came back a week later (after buying a detector) and found my ring in no time flat. like 30 seconds flat.

Default Minelab

I read a field test on gold detectors before buying mine. They had the Whites (I've owned 3 of them), Fisher (owned one of them), Garretts, and Minelab. They did testing on all but the Minelab before they even turned it on. After all the other detectors had run their limit (about 12" on this particular gold piece) they turned on the Minelab. It continued to signal down to about 30" or so. I bought the GP3500. I just bought two DVD's by Jonathan Porter; he was using the prototype 3500 when he found an 84 oz nugget - right in the dirt road. If you're going for large, deep nuggets the Minelab is the best bet but if you're just looking for shallow stuff you could get by with a much less expensive machine. You can figure about one inch of depth penetration per $100 you spend.

I had a GP extreme (Minelab) for a while and it goes deep and will find small nuggets! (hope you like digging!) Ran an Explorer at the same time. Hard to find better dedicated gold machines than the Minelab Sd's, Gp, and the newer variants.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.