Thread: Qamutiik/Komatic sled design

Default Qamutiik/Komatic sled design

Now here is an interesting Inuit sled design I found online, included a link to another forum where there are lots of pics of actual komatik sleds being constructed. Also a link to a qamutiik sled plan I found too. Anyone ever build one of these sleds before? Thanks

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index....owtopic=303314

http://www.qia.ca/i18n/english/pdf/Q...20outlined.pdf

Thanks for the links... I just found this today. I have a new fun project to try. I built my first dog sled the first winter I was up here...This looks much easier. I saved the directions. I am still looking for directions on how to make freighter sleds... I really dont want to pay the price for one of those. My friend and I hooked up a team and took his to Minto. Was a lot of fun... The string that you tie down the handles with and all was sold at Cold Spot feeds in Fairbanks for a long time. Now that they arent dealing with dog sled supplies any longer I wonder where to get dog sled parts adn supplies from. I need a new set of heavier runners to finish building my second sled... The one that I will give to my son when I can get him interested in running dogs. The runners I have would work great on a small kids sized basket sled...

Washkeeton, that is great that you found the links and info useful. I don't really know where you can find good quality detailed info on building freight dogsleds. But I do know of a business in Ester, Alaska that sells dog sleds replacement parts like sled runners (6 ft - 12 ft) to construct or repair dog sleds. Just google Dog Paddle Designs, they have a great website.
    Just a thought, contact the museum or university they may have blue prints available on how to construct them. When I was researching Southwest Alaska kayak building I was able to get a full size copy of blue prints from the Anchorage Museum of History and Art in Anchorage. Staff there were very helpful, fees for copying were very reasonable too. Good luck with your projects.

Im make my Qamun (cum-oon) my self, both big ones for camping and small ones for heavy loads. Narrow sled bear the weight better, and wide ones double as a bed.
    As well, I use my small one the most, for near everything. My cross beams are spred so I can tie down better, and I ply wood my sides for abrasions resistance and integrity, and repalce the side 1/4 ply when I change my runners.
    Big 'un

My small sled

(you can see both sleds in the second pict.)
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....