Thread: Upgrade my 9.3x62 or invest in Mdl 70 Safari Grade 375

Default Upgrade my 9.3x62 or invest in Mdl 70 Safari Grade 375

What a quandry I find myself in. I have a 9.3 that's a shooter and was in the process of itemizing the cost of upgrading it with new finish, iron sights and custom stock when I realized it might be a better idea to look for a production rifle that is already closer to the final product I'm looking for (Minus the finish and stock work). I found this in a Model 70 Safari Grade in a 375. Just hesistant on the recoil side of things when comparing the 375 to the 9.3x62. Due to a jaw injury recoil is something I now am acutely aware of. With that being said, so far so good with fairly stiff 286 gr loads. The question is this: is it worth the same amt of money to upgrade the proven and accurate 9.3 or put the same amt of money into the larger 375 and don't look back? I've got a great friend who I am going to be hunting with and now just need to get off the fence on rifle/cartridge selection.

If its a shooter why mess with it?

As the rifle is now it is currently a standard production rifle - blued, no sights and in a wood stock. Although it shoots great, I was looking at upgrading finish, adding sights and sythetic stock to make it more of a durable Alaskan hunting set up. But all that comes at a price and not sure if having that work done to a standard rifle is the best way to go. Hence my dilemna.

Anytime you start upgrading a gun, its financially unrealistic nowadays. That being said, I'm an idiot since I dont have a factory rifle in the house that I use. Stick with the 9.3, it works.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default It's easy for ME, to say.

If it's a shooter, changing the stock might mess that up, for you.

If you got a 9.3x62, you don't need a 375.

Iron Sights could be a good idea.

I figger, that this "durable Alaskan hunting" stuff is overdone, if not just a bunch of hooey.

Still, if you ain't satisfied with your gun, I think it's more fun to customize an old one than to buy a new one.

You're gonna need a SS barrel for that crappy Synthetic Stock.

Do what YOU wanna do, and you'll feel better.

Thanks for sharing the "quandry".

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

What are you going to hunt? A 9,3x62 is still a very good bear/moose caliber

9.3 is a great round. It will do anything a 375 will do. If the gun is a shooter and you can shoot it, dont mess with it. Maybe some duracoat if the gun needs it and you a so inclined. But.... if you really need a "more durable" rifle go buy one.

Your 9.3 X 62 is a great rifle. With Ramshot Big Game and 286 gr bullets I can see 2500 FPS with a 22" barrel! not much behind
    a 375 H&H, in a 7.5# rifle with 5 shots in the mag. I sold my 2 LH 375 H & H. You can upgrade the stock & finish over time.

So if you want a new rifle go buy one, but you already have a good one!

Thanks for the input. It's not the cartridge that I doubt, on the contrary. The 9.3 is a proven cartridge and I have complete confidence in the round provided I do my part. My interest in having sights on the rifle started a whole litany of "well I could do this... to it". Partly, at least in regards to sights, it would be one of those nice things to have but with smith and parts I'm looking at spending close to purchase price of gun not to mention gun finish, etc. That's why I pondered the question of that, when for not much more I'd pick up the Model 70 that's practically about perfect in set up. I guess I just need both.

I put sights on my LH Win 70 9.3 X 62 Pac-Nor barrel, used a std. front and a Redfield flip up peep, mounted to my scope base. Not much money. Waited and bought a Mcmillion LH Edge used. Lots of finish options.

But, I also bought a LH SS Laminate 375 Ruger. Prefer it to the 2 LH 375 H & H I used to own.

Quote Originally Posted by 377PFA View Post
    What a quandry I find myself in. I have a 9.3 that's a shooter and was in the process of itemizing the cost of upgrading it with new finish, iron sights and custom stock when I realized it might be a better idea to look for a production rifle that is already closer to the final product I'm looking for (Minus the finish and stock work). I found this in a Model 70 Safari Grade in a 375. Just hesistant on the recoil side of things when comparing the 375 to the 9.3x62. Due to a jaw injury recoil is something I now am acutely aware of. With that being said, so far so good with fairly stiff 286 gr loads. The question is this: is it worth the same amt of money to upgrade the proven and accurate 9.3 or put the same amt of money into the larger 375 and don't look back? I've got a great friend who I am going to be hunting with and now just need to get off the fence on rifle/cartridge selection.
    What kind of 9.3 rifle do you own?

CZ. And at this point, think I'll just put the money into it. I do like the 9.3.

I have found that i'm not happy unless I get what I want. It may cost $200 extra to upgrade your rifle than it would to to buy a new one but who cares if you are happy with the results. If you enjoy carrying the rifle and would like to continue to do so after some upgrades, then do it and be happy with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by 377PFA View Post
    CZ. And at this point, think I'll just put the money into it. I do like the 9.3.
    I got one too, no beefs with it, or the cartridge, I think you're making a good choice. If you did go with a new rifle, you sure did pick a nice one to invest your money towards. Moderator on here by the name of "Hunt_AK" could probably put a tough black dura-coat finish on the rifle if you like stuff like that. If you did upgrade to your CZ rifle, swap out the plastic magazine follower for a steel on, it's tougher, and lower profile. Depending on your rifle.....it may allow you to squeeze one more cartridge into the internal magazine.

Hey Mainer, matter of fact last time I called CZ they were out of those followers. I think it's time to call them again. Well, it's official, my 9.3 is getting some fine upgrades. I just dropped it off to my gunsmith and couldn't be happier. This dilemna has been bugging me quite some time. I am sure in the future I'll need to justify buying the Model 70 though.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by hntr View Post
    I have found that i'm not happy unless I get what I want. It may cost $200 extra to upgrade your rifle than it would to to buy a new one but who cares if you are happy with the results. If you enjoy carrying the rifle and would like to continue to do so after some upgrades, then do it and be happy with the results.
    Good point.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

MY .02 cents worth says "DO BOTH"; upgrade your rifle and buy a new one as well. that way you get the best of both worlds.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    MY .02 cents worth says "DO BOTH"; upgrade your rifle and buy a new one as well. that way you get the best of both worlds.
    What brav01 said. Always room for another rifle!
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

There is a Model 70 Stainless 375 HH just popped up in Cabela's Gun libary under 375 it's on page 6. I think they want 1200.00. It's what I am looking to get just can't afford right now.

Thanks HuntNBGame for the link.