Thread: Stocked Lake Recommendations

Default Stocked Lake Recommendations

I have been posting in the Saltwater Section mostly about a trip planned May 20-28th but I am looking at a sight seeing day that I may try to fish some of the stocked lakes on the Kenai Peninsula. We are staying in Homer.

Question(s) is/are what recommendations would you have that would accomplish something like that? Sight seeing/photography and some fishing? No taking the boat, just off the bank. I have picked Johnson Lake, Centennial Lake and Encelewiski(sp?) Lake only because of their location to Homer. Are these productive lakes and what could I see in that area? Are there more productive/less visited lakes OR something that I just have to see on the Kenai P trying on a planned day like this?

I appreciate the input, P-geek
    Last edited by Physiksgeek; 01-22-2011 at 19:00. Reason: FatFingerMonday

I've only fished Johnson Lake (and had great luck on foot-long rainbows with a green panther martin) but I'm sure any of those would be productive. Weather permitting, the drive to Johnson Lake itself can be incredible looking at the Alaska Range across the inlet (Mt. Illiamna, Mt. Redoubt, etc.). Are you driving down to Homer from Anchorage - because if that's the case your in for a scenic drive there going along Turnagain Arm and through the Kenai Mountains.

I haven't looked at this year's dates, so don't hold me to it, but depending on what day you have free (if it's a weekend) you might be able to spend an hour or two fishing for kings on the Anchor or Ninilchik Rivers (I can't remember what opens when and don't have the regs handy).
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Wyo2AK - we will be driving from Anchorage to Homer. It is our second trip to AK and the drive down the Sterling Highway is worth the price of admission for sure. For that reason we want to make an effort to spend a day focusing on the middle to upper" Kenai.

I have looked at the regs and I think there is a chance at a King in one of the rivers on Sunday.....but I do not think we are going to make it back that way till Monday? Figured we would just hit a lake and try our luck.

Thanks, P-geek

here is a list of stocked lakes on the kenai peninsula .
    most all of these will be easy access.
    some get very little pressure, and some may not be current with stocking trout, as we have had some invasive species problems on the kenai with some folks throwing pike in with the rainbows. such as Scout lake had to be killed out due to that problem.
    but this list is pretty good and you can down load maps..
    Johnson lake is probably the most popular lake, as it has nice camping and is family friendly and not far off the main highway.
    enjoy
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...on/MgtAreaID/3

Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Have had good results at Johnson Lake, but it gets better with a boat or canoe or raft. A cataraft or pontoon boat is available for around $250 at the Soldotna hardware store, or Alaska Canoe in Sterling will rent a canoe. Bank or wade fishing will get this year's plants, a bit of trolling will get the 14" to 16" carryovers.

Flies work well, any wet, and have not tried spinners.

If you want to try the cataraft for trolling let me know, I have a spare and would be able to meet you for a row. I rather enjoy a day on Johnson Lake.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Tee Jay View Post
    Have had good results at Johnson Lake, but it gets better with a boat or canoe or raft. A cataraft or pontoon boat is available for around $250 at the Soldotna hardware store, or Alaska Canoe in Sterling will rent a canoe. Bank or wade fishing will get this year's plants, a bit of trolling will get the 14" to 16" carryovers.

Flies work well, any wet, and have not tried spinners.

If you want to try the cataraft for trolling let me know, I have a spare and would be able to meet you for a row. I rather enjoy a day on Johnson Lake.

Terry
    I appreciate the info and I appreciate the offer for sure. I do not know if I could commit to something like that "as a group" and I would definitely not want to waste your time if we were to get "hung up" somewhere else. You know how that stuff goes......you want to be somewhere by noon but end up arriving around 2 hours later because someone got carsick or bathroom breaks or something......

I will certainly keep it in mind though if it works out that I can make a commitment like that with myself or maybe one other.

Thanks Again, P-geek