Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best 3/4 Ton 4WD Pickup for Alaska

Default Best 3/4 Ton 4WD Pickup for Alaska

Looking for brand recommendation and what to get on it as options and accessories.

Long vs. Short Bed?

Manual vs. Automatic?

All thoughts and opinions are welcome!

Default A truck is a truck is a truck.......

Brand: one you know how to fix and keep running.

Options and accessories: block heater, oil pan heater, battery warmer blanket, winch, ladder rack, tow hitch.

Long vs Short: I can't believe you would ask this one. Long bed has more cargo capacity so I think that answer is pretty obvious.

Manual vs Automatic: Can't believe you would ask this one either.

Good luck.
    “There's a humorous side to every situation. The challenge is to find it.”
    George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by billhicksmostfunny View Post
    Brand: one you know how to fix and keep running.

Options and accessories: block heater, oil pan heater, battery warmer blanket, winch, ladder rack, tow hitch.

Long vs Short: I can't believe you would ask this one. Long bed has more cargo capacity so I think that answer is pretty obvious.

Manual vs Automatic: Can't believe you would ask this one either.

Good luck.
    Believe. Is there an advantage to manual over automatic up there? Thanks

Up here there is every make, model, 4x4, 2wd, long/short bed, and stick/auto's running around. They all do fine for those driving them or maybe they have only what they can afford, who knows. Match the truck to what your lifestyle is, make it a 4x4, put a block heater in it, have good quality tires, and you'll be no different than most anybody else. Lots of guys have those big jacked up huge exhaust stacked p/up's and they dont get around any better than a good 1/2 or 3/4 ton except for deep mudding and serious off roading. Also, you'll most likely get a better deal down wherever you are then buying here. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by cco45acp View Post
    Looking for brand recommendation and what to get on it as options and accessories.

Long vs. Short Bed?

Manual vs. Automatic?

All thoughts and opinions are welcome!
    look for a ford crew cab long bed, F350 86-87 with the 6.9 diesel and manual transmission, try to find one not turbod, that should be fairly easy.

good gas millage, good axles and trans, cheap to work on. last forever.
    Semper Fi!

I run a Dodge with a Cummins. The Powerstrokes seem to really start hard when it is cold. It got 26 MPG from anchorage to Homer and back last fall. It rides nice and pulls hard when I need it.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

What are you planning on using it for? If you'll be doing alot of heavy hauling, diesel no question. If you're using it primarily for passenger transport, I'd consider a gas rig. Yes diesel gets better mileage, but diesel costs more up here, and diesels are more expensive to buy, and more expensive to repair. If you go diesel, I'd recomend getting on prior to '07. The '07 and never trucks have complicated emisions controls that knock a couple of mpg off the truck. As far as long bed or short bed, it's a toss up between being able to carry a bigger load, or being able to park. One would think that with so many people driving trucks up here, parking lots would be sized accordingly, but that is not the case. Even a short bed w/ a crew cab is a challenge to park, a long bed or mega cab would be a real challenge. When I'm hauling sheets of ply or sheetrock I just drop the tailgate and strap the load down.

So far my '06 ram 2500 cummins has been a great truck. I like the fact that you transfer case is manually shifted vs. the electric switch that eventually locks the transfer case in. Solid axles front and rear, I don't want independent suspension, if I want a smooth ride I'll drive a sedan. I went with the auto tranny, in tow/haul mode the engine cpu downshifts the engine for engine braking. There's no mileage advantage to manuals, and the current autos are pretty stout so long as you don't go and chip the engine to add a bunch of torque and hp. The water pump crapped out at 50k, which seems to be a weekness in these trucks, but it's a 1 hr job and less than $100, so easy to fix.

dodge diesels have really went down hill after the 24v
    Semper Fi!

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input.

A long bed holds a snowmachine better.

A long bed crew cab is a PITA to park around Anchorage.

An automatic is easier to pull an 8,000lb boat up the ramp with than a manual.

A diesel pulls that same boat up Turnagain Pass better than gas.

Diesel costs more than gas up here.

Diesel is harder to start at -25F than gas.

A short bed standard cab is easier to manever when plowing snow.

Really depends on what you are going to use it for. I have a 4x4, long bed, crew cab, diesel, F-350 and it is perfect for what I use it for - dragging toys, friends, and all the stuff my wife can't leave home without all over the road system. I do not use it as a daily driver. Get whatever brand and configuration best fits your use and get it in 4 wheel drive.

+1 for what NRick said.
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Lujon - is that your wifes truck?

Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
    Lujon - is that your wifes truck?

Can you believe that I picked it up in 2009 and there it sits with 850 miles total on it! The wife isn't to thrilled about parking anything bigger than a crew cab 1/2 ton s/b so she doesn't drive it much.

Funny that, my wife doesn't care for driving our 3/4 ton crew cab either. But now that my daughter is 16, anytime she can get the keys she'll be driving it. She was really excited when she heard I'd be headed to the slope for 2 weeks. There I'll get somebody elses crew cab to drive. One note on slope trucks, don't ever think you'll be getting a deal by buying a used one. After they hit 80-90k they are plane shook loose, and some of those engines do alot of idling, so their mileage has little hint of how many hours the engines have been run.

If my truck was a freeway only rig, long bed would be the way to go, but for a daily driver, a short bed crew cab is enough of a challenge to park.

I have an around town beater to fill the majority of my needs. When I have the big rig we just go straight to the back of the lot and park. I don't mess around with trying to squeeze it in place. Besides the only stores it really sees is 3 bears, wally world, and sportsmans. One thing that has baffled me is that Freddies seems to be the only store that realizes angled parking spaces makes it easier for trucks to get in and out and most Alaskans drive trucks.

Diesel is harder to start at -25F than gas.
    Not mine My Duramax starts as easy at -35F as any gas truck I have ever owned. I am constantly amazed by it. I have owned both Ford and Chevy diesels of all flavors. The Duramax is a great engine and I never find myself wanting to go back to my Powerstrokes. I have a friend with a Dodge/Cummins and 350,000 miles on it. I doubt my Chevy will go that long, but it's already paid for so I'm not too worried about it. I like automatic transmissions. I spend as many miles in a 13 speed tractor trailer as I do my pickup, so I have no need for trucker testosterone to want to shift my little truck. My Duramax silverado spends 1/3 of it's life towing trailers at 10 to 12,000 pounds and has never missed a beat with the auto.

For me, living in rural Alaska, it's nothing but a diesel, automatic, crew cab, long bed. If I lived in town and didn't have the business that I currently do, a short bed, 1/2 ton, gas, crew cab would do my family fine.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

duramax isnt really a diesel. just ask isuzu
    Semper Fi!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Dont know about the rest.. I drive an F 450 1.5 ton Dually, crew cab long bed truck Diesal. the only problem with parking is finding a spot to fit it.. funny thing about that one? NOBODY cuts me off
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Any truck without a nut loose between the wheel and seat will do pretty well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast