Thread: Shrimping Violation

Default Shrimping Violation

Just had my day in court on the citation I received via mail just after the close of the season. The Trooper and the Court Judge were pretty good to a whole lot of us. They reduced the fine to $50 and returned our pots, ropes and buoy’s.
    Wanted to give a shout out to everyone to remind those that don’t (there were a bunch of us) to call in and report their pots missing prior to the close of the season.
    Important Note: IF you report missing pots on your permit, remember to get a copy of the permit before you turn it in. The Court system does not review permits to determine if you reported the pots on the permit and it is up to you to maintain a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by cusackla View Post
    Just had my day in court on the citation I received via mail just after the close of the season. The Trooper and the Court Judge were pretty good to a whole lot of us. They reduced the fine to $50 and returned our pots, ropes and buoy’s.
    Wanted to give a shout out to everyone to remind those that don’t (there were a bunch of us) to call in and report their pots missing prior to the close of the season.
    Important Note: IF you report missing pots on your permit, remember to get a copy of the permit before you turn it in. The Court system does not review permits to determine if you reported the pots on the permit and it is up to you to maintain a copy.
    So even though you reported your gear stolen/missing you still had to pay?? or only the guys that didn't have proof of calling it in had to pay?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I haven't lost any gear yet but I also hadn't thought about the fact one could be ticketed for gear that was lost for whatever reason and was found later by the troopers after the close of the season. That gear would be concidered fishing in closed waters hence the ticket I'm assuming.

Makes ya think, before reading this I wouldn't necessarily have reported a loss in hopes there was a chance to get lost gear back but it sounds like it would be wise to report it just to prevent a ticket.

I did not report and had to pay. Those that reported on their Shrimp Permit AND had a copy of the permit did not have to pay. They were really fair with us.
    In my case I recieved the citation before I turned in my permit, so I did not think it would have helped to bring a copy.
    Last edited by cusackla; 01-25-2011 at 09:33. Reason: add content

Glad to see it all worked out OK for you and that you got your gear back.
    I guess I will definetly have to report any missing Shrimp/Crab gear in the future. I have reported missing gear in the past in hopes of a miracle in getting it back but also for it not to be found fishing after season if it was moved or improperly set and drifted off. I also neglected to file a report on a missing pot this year when I realized the new Seldovia ferry ran over my line.
    I am glad the courts saw your side of things because it could have been a lot worse I suppose.
    I do wonder what the fine would have been if you truly were in violation? Were there any defendants there who got the full fine and if so what was it? I would hope it would be stiff enough to discourage these types of violators from doing it again.
    We also need to see more of these pot thieves in court as we all know not all pots are lost to improperly set gear.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I spoke with a guy at the wasilla gun show that said he got tickets in the mail for some pots he thought were stolen, even had different bait jars in them so i guess they got stolen. I can't remember if he just paid the fine or went to court but he said it cost him $110 per pot plus they gave him a ticket (another 110 i think) for i think they called it the marking on the buoy not being dark enough to read, but they could read it good enough to send him the tickets !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by cusackla View Post

WOW! Thanks. I would have not known otherwise. Bummer you had to go through that but it looks like an experience we can all learn from. Thanks for posting the information. One rep point for yew!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

The violation would have been $100, but I think the Judge has the option of seizing the gear and suspending your fishing license. I think if you were caught actually shrimping (shrimp on board raising pots) shrimping past the 15th, it would be a completely different outcome.
    It seemed that their biggest concern was whether you actually made an attempt to recover your gear or if you were just to lazy to go out and retrieve it. I think for some people the effort and expense of going out to retrieve just a couple of pots may tempt them to just abandon the gear.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I spoke with a guy at the wasilla gun show that said he got tickets in the mail for some pots he thought were stolen, even had different bait jars in them so i guess they got stolen. I can't remember if he just paid the fine or went to court but he said it cost him $110 per pot plus they gave him a ticket (another 110 i think) for i think they called it the marking on the buoy not being dark enough to read, but they could read it good enough to send him the tickets !!
    Update on this post, I remember the guy also telling me that they said something about the escape hatches on those pots only having 2 cotton ties and the other 2 were held on with hog rings(like a hinge), instead of all 4 having cotton ties. You guys may want to check your pots, some of the older gear around had this style of securing the escape hatches.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

REALLY anybody that is too lazy to go out and pickup their gear and wants to abandon it, Just shoot me a PM I will gladly claim salvage rights and go pick it up. It costs me about $200.00 per setup.
    A CLOSE CALL IS A FREE LESSON

Really
    Kinda rude to say that.
    Mostly it is gear that is lost i.e. floats away or that has been stolen and the thieves use the gear then just abandons it at the end of the season.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

A co-worker of my dads had some pots he presumed stolen while shrimping a few years back.
    On his way back to whittier he passed some shrimp pot buoys he had passed on the way out. I don't know if he actually spotted his buoy's or just had a hunch but, he swung over and checked these buoy's out. Lo and behold there were his pots in the middle of someone else's line of buoy's.
    I am not sure if he got the info off of the other buoy's or not and they too could have been stolen I guess.
    Anyway I am sure there are a few low lifes who use others pots to increase their harvest. If the pots are moved first then it is unlikely the owner would catch them being pulled after the initial theft.
    It is seriously doubtful anyone would intentionaly leave their gear out because they were too lazy to go out and pull them one last time.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"