Thread: It Will Be My Last Day To Hunt

Default It Will Be My Last Day To Hunt

Well, January the 29th, next Saturday, will be the last day for me to hunt. It will be primitive muzzle loader. I will be cold with occasional periods of rain with temps from 26-60 degrees in Prentiss, Mississippi. I will be hunting a stand that is not a long shot, 50yds being my longest, but that is fine since I will be using my single shot 45 cal muzzle loading pistol, with a 285gr cast hollow point bullet, moving 1400fps, with open sights, using a musket cap. One more chance to try and bag a buck this season. I am really looking forward to it considering the long wait I will have before hunting season opens up again.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Nice looking rig, I hope it gets put to use !

Good luck

Yes, so do I, this has been the leanest year in 20yrs of hunting for me. One reason is I did not take any hunting trips this year. But next year will be different.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thanks for the pictures - the sewing machine made seams on all the primitive gear is always good for a chuckle

Good luck and stay warm. Sitting in a tree stand in the southeast in the winter is in a class of cold all its own.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

In this magnum... shoot them a mile away age, a man who hunts deer with a front stuffer pistola is a true hunter indeed! You have my respect and I wish you well on your hunt!

I have been looking hard at those Patriot muzzleloaders myself!

Yes, the humidity on a wet day down hear will chill a man to the bone. I have been hunting in the north during winter and out west but the coldest I have ever been hunting in the winter is down South when the temps are 40 degrees and less. Hard to explain unless you have hunted in it.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    In this magnum... shoot them a mile away age, a man who hunts deer with a front stuffer pistola is a true hunter indeed! You have my respect and I wish you well on your hunt!

I have been looking hard at those Patriot muzzleloaders myself!
    Thanks, I hope I see one. It will be cold and gray that day but it will truly be fun to get one the old way, that is why I do it.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Sweet rig BT, good luck to ya!
    BTW, that ain't no pistola, heck its got a barrel as long as dem 4570 guide guns!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Sweet rig BT, good luck to ya!
    BTW, that ain't no pistola, heck its got a barrel as long as dem 4570 guide guns!
    Yeah I know it is a custom cut barrel with a 1:18 Twist using paper patched bullet and some special cast Hollow Points. It has actually chronographed across the chrony at 1424fps. It is a hammer and I shoot is with one hand on the pistol grip and the left hand under the stock like you hold a rifle. Cool pistol and a lot of fun.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I will pray that you have a successful hunt.

Thanks, I appreciate that.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I love that rig! Now THIS is a hogleg!!
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Yeah, Nitroman, I guess you could really call it a hogleg. It sure puts a hog down.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I went to the woods behind my place this afternoon and checked it out. I shot standing free hand and at 50yds put the two rounds I fired on target just 1 1/2" apart from each other. It is ready to go.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Good luck to ya. My freezer had nothing but Halibut and Sockeye until a Texas hunt a few weeks ago. If I had plenty of red meat I would try your technique for sure, sounds like a good time.

Post pics of the carnage if you score. It should be a door slammer of a round at 50 yards.

I will certainly post a picture if I get something with my Muzzle loader. It does slam the door for sure when it hits.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS