Thread: Alternative primer and bullet sealer?

Default Alternative primer and bullet sealer?

I'm loading up some rounds for long term storage and wanted to seal them only to find that no one in my area carries the sealer and Cabelas and Midway won't ship it because of it's haz mat class.
    I've used clear nail polish on the primers before, but how about around the bullet? Any other alternatives or should the nail polish be ok?

Mountaintrekker

let me share a story told to me by a retired Marine Armory Seargent who smithed and loaded for the Marine shooting teams for many years - He had loaded a batch of match ammo and had enough of a surplus at the end of a run to store it while in South Carolina - Sometime later he put this ammo back into use and experienced spiked pressures at random and upon inspection found a green "patina" around the case mouth / bullet seams - He practiced the utmost of descretion for the remainder of his tenure in that capacity and preached to "us" to those ends - He "thought" being in some proximity to salt air may have had something to do with it but never pursued a definitive explanation

I will sometimes load for 2 or maybe even 3 seasons but I wouldn't consider any "sealant" for the bullet and nail polish for the primers will work as well as the fancy sealer but it you are insistant on getting some buy it off GunBroker.com or from PowderValley.com

forgot to add that I, because I often get a whiff of ether-like fume when I open an ammo box, will put rounds in a big jar with a tea candle lit when I apply the lid to create a vacuum inside - the buring candle will extinguish itself in a second or two and no more "air" inside - you might want to set a piece of cardboard in the jar to set the tea candle on rather than right on the ammo

A burning candle only burns up a part of the oxygen and creates moisture - and oxygen and moisture are enemies of your ammo. Use an oxygen scavenger like iron filings that will rust and consume all of the oxygen and note creat any water. You can also use one of the products like silica gel packs to adsorb any moisture.

There is some unknown factor that helps to determines if ammo is going to go bad but I haven't been able to determine what it is. It is not unusual to see identical rounds in a box of ammo with some bad and some perfectly useable and shootable.

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    forgot to add that I, because I often get a whiff of ether-like fume when I open an ammo box, will put rounds in a big jar with a tea candle lit when I apply the lid to create a vacuum inside - the buring candle will extinguish itself in a second or two and no more "air" inside - you might want to set a piece of cardboard in the jar to set the tea candle on rather than right on the ammo
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

that is a very good point - because the candle usually only burns for a few seconds I never considered that an issue - will silica hold the moisture static until the container is reopened ? I wonder if residual sizing lube on the inside of the case mouth/neck could exascerbate this problem ?