Thread: Counterfeit ATC Style Automotive Fuses

Eagle River

Default Counterfeit ATC Style Automotive Fuses

Hello Folks,

Itís been a long time since I posted anything, so I thought I would say Happy New Year to everyone, and share an interesting thing that I recently learned. Last month, I attended some Chrysler update training at my work, which covered the newest model Dodge/Cummins diesel.

The Trainer, who was from the Chrysler Training center at Portland Community College, told us that there has been recent vehicle fires related to the use of counterfeit ATC style automotive fuses. I did further research and discovered that GM has also issued warning to their dealership network to raise awareness for their technicians. Folks are unwittingly using these fuses in their vehicles, boats and ATVís and possibly creating electrical fires when a circuit becomes overloaded.

You may already be aware of this, but I wasnít. Turns out, that a popular national tool supply company (Iím not sure if I can mention their name) distributed about 295,000 Chinese manufactured fuse assortment kits in the 2005-2007 timeframe. These are a 120 piece kit. The NHTSA has long since initiated a recall and the company is offering refunds, but the real issue is that these fuse kits are still around and sitting in peoples garages and boats.

I was able to get my hands on some of these fuses the other day and performed some unscientific testing. The incidents I heard about were related to the blue 15amp ATC fuse. So, I connected one of the counterfeit 15 amp fuses to a 12 volt battery with two jumper leads and the 14 gauge jumper leads started to melt and the fuse never opened. In other words, the fuses donít ďblowĒ when a circuit is overloaded. More Chinese made junk.
    You may just have one of these fuse kits in your boat or pick-up truck, so be careful.

Attached Images Attached Images