Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16' G3 Experiences

Default 16' G3 Experiences

My wife and I are looking at a 16' G3 with a 40/30 Yamaha tiller jet. Does anybody have any experience with a similar setup? It will basically just be the two of us on day trips, with the typical places around the valley, 20 mile etc. My wife would really like to get a boat that we can use on the Kenai, which is why we are looking at the 40 Hp instead of the 60 Hp.

We're really just looking for a bare bones set up, low maintenance, etc. We don't need to set any speed records or haul a moose with this boat, just something that is inexpensive to own and operate.

So what do you experts say? Will this setup meet our needs, or will we be disappointed with the 40 horse instead of a 60?

Why don't you go with the 50HP? Still Kenai legal and you get a bit more power at the jet. I have a 18 G3 with a 50 on it w/jet goes good with 2 people but start loading 3 guys and their gear and its a bit much for it, still goes ok but not like with 2.
    g3 w jet pump.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Go with a 50 or 60

I agree with potbuilder. If you were only gonna run a prop a 40 would be fine. But with a jet the bigger the better

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Why don't you go with the 50HP? Still Kenai legal and you get a bit more power at the jet. I have a 18 G3 with a 50 on it w/jet goes good with 2 people but start loading 3 guys and their gear and its a bit much for it, still goes ok but not like with 2.
    g3 w jet pump.JPG
    I'd like to get a 50 but Yamaha doesn't make a factory 50 with a jet. I guess I could buy a 50 prop and convert it to a jet though, eh? Might not be a bad idea. Anybody want to buy a 50 prop lower unit?

Thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Corn View Post
    I'd like to get a 50 but Yamaha doesn't make a factory 50 with a jet. I guess I could buy a 50 prop and convert it to a jet though, eh? Might not be a bad idea. Anybody want to buy a 50 prop lower unit?

Thanks for the replies!
    Yup mine was a prop when i bought it then i bought a jet unit from Gary at Greatland Welding(best price around) in Palmer and did the swap myself. Just keep the prop lower unit never know when you might want to use it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

50HP prop is plenty. You can put a pump on it after you buy it. I have a 50HP on my 16' SeaArk and I switch out lower units and the jet pump is good (I wish I had a larger jetpump setup). Here in Juneau I have seen at least two other people with 16'ers with the Yamaha F40/30 jet and they work.
    Sobie2

Go 50hp. I'm running a similar setup and would not want less power. We use ours on those waters you've listed and do well. Went for a Tohatsu 50 added the jet pump. Me the G3 a fishing partner and day gear we get along fine. Add a third person or camp gear we slow a bit but do alright. Any less power and you'd need be a minimalist for sure. Only troubles I have with the G3/jet combo is wakes from big boats on the Kenai, dipping the lower K, and back trolling. If you can live with those drawback on an economical setup then you are all set.
    Happy shopping,Matt

With your Kenai horsepower restriction in mind, a little FYI: The Mercury 40Hp EFI jet has a data-plate that reads 40HP...

I chose the Merc over a Yamaha for just this reason. Both motors share the same powerhead but the Merc is officially rated at the pump verses at the powerhead on the Yami.

I have a similar situation in that I have to work around a horsepower restriction; young adults (under 16yrs) are restricted to 50hp maximum here in B.C. My daughter (13yrs) can legally run the Merc but not the Yami. IMO all jet outboards should be rated at the pump anyhow, as it is more indicative of how hard they are to handle (tiller models.) My daughter finds the 60/40hp jet easier to handle then a 40hp prop.

As an aside, there is another feature of the Merc worth mentioning. Because Mercury supplies short-shaft racing outboards for a one-design series based on the 60hp EFI, they have a 15" midsection that they can use on the 40EFI Jet models. It is the only jet in this horsepower class that will hang on a 20" transom. O, and check the price too.

Cheers,
    Sam
    River Punt - Launch (13).jpg

That would be a great boat. I have had several 4-stroke yamaha 40/30 jets on 16 and 18' boats and they are absolutely great. I think it is the best jet for a bare bones 16' set up. That yamaha 40/30 is -perfect- for a 16 foot boat. Good on gas, quiet. Find one a couple years old, the complete unit weighs around 200 lbs and spins an impeller that is more than adequate for what you describe. I personally prefer a riveted boat, 1648 or 1852 which is not much heavier at all that the 16 but handles additional weight easily, even with the 40/30. If you move up to a 4cyl powerhead like the 60/40 you are dealing with a fair bit more weight on the transom which is where you'll be sitting with the tiller. I honestly don't think it's worth it as I've had one of those on an 1852 as well. It's okay for a console boat or if you want to carry a bunch of cargo in the front, but then pretty soon you're saying "dang, I should have gotten a welded 1860 with a 115/80 or a 20' boat with a wider bottom....maybe I should have some pods welded on. I'm just trying to save you the hassle.
    I've been much better served with a 1648 or 1852 riveted boat. The G3 is a little heavier but as a perk has a 52" bottom. The 40/30 will still do great. You do not need a bigger engine for what you describe, trust me. A yamaha 4-stroke carb engine is reliable as heck and not nearly as finicky with fuel....just in case you thought you needed a newer EFI jet. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy a used set up.

50 hp, at least with yamaha I think is also a 4 cyl, heavier, and not needed for what you describe.

Thanks for all of this great information -- just the kind of stuff I was looking for! I have a few questions:

Lineburns: I like the weight of that Tohatsu! Our boat/motor combination would be about 650 pounds with this motor, which would be awesome. Have you had any problems with the air compressor or the belt on that motor? I've never owned a DI motor of any sort. Is there anything else I should look for if buying a used DI?

Pilebuck: Thanks for the info on the Merc, definitely something that I will look into. It's also good to hear that your daughter can run that motor -- my wife is pretty small, so I was a bit worried about that! By the way, your boat build thread was great!

Buzz: This is great information, thank you for taking the time to share. The 40/30 was our initial choice, but I wasn't sure it would be enough motor. Glad to hear yours have worked for you! Do you have recommendations on a riveted boat manufacturer that may make a lighter boat? I like the G3, but I don't mind rivets if it saves some weight!

You bet friend. Any of the riveted jons are good. Ya know, there's not too much to any of them. The aluminum is all about the same thickness. You can't go wrong with alumacraft or lowe. You can get a 52" bottom in the lowe riveted olympic jon 16 or 18. Just make sure you get a 20" transom. This will let you through-bolt the outboard at the proper height without requiring a transom riser. If you decide you want a tunnel, it's simple to do and will require a much shorter transom riser than if you went with a 15" transom, which will require a riser regardless if you mount a jet. You can get a better tunnel this way than if supplied from the manufacturer anyway. Until then, keep the tilt-mechanism unlocked so that the outboard will kick up if the trailing edge of the jet foot hits something. The only thing to watch out for when leaving it unlocked is that it will want to kick up if you goose the throttle in reverse...not a big deal though. A tunnel is more necessary on a console boat as the outboard won't kick up near as quick and puts a lot of stress on the transom. Not good on a jon boat. I had an older evinrude 50/35 that would only tilt just a tiny bit because the linkage connecting the powerhead and the end of the steering cable would bind. I just wanted to warn you against a console boat with no tunnel. Happy to help.

I run an 1852 Crestliner with the 40/30 Yamaha and find this to work well for me and what I use it for. Could use a little more power for hauling a moose out, but other than that I have no complaints thus far with the combo. FWIW- I burn about 3.5 gal/hr WOT and ~2.75-3 when cruising. I always make sure to keep the impellor shimmed properly and that really helps performance alot. The main reasons I went with the 40/30 is because I wanted to be able to pull start it and did not want the power trim/tilt (extra weight and the motor won't flop up if I hit something. As far as I now, you can't get the 60/40 with a recoil start. I have had a few mild issues with flooding when starting a warm motor, but nothing that would stop me from buying the same motor again (I'll post about those in another thread to avoid thread hijak).

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    50 hp, at least with yamaha I think is also a 4 cyl, heavier, and not needed for what you describe.
    The 40 and 50 are the same weight/displacement and are both 3 cyl engines.
    60,70 and 90 are 3cyl as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyoz View Post
    The 40 and 50 are the same weight/displacement and are both 3 cyl engines.
    60,70 and 90 are 3cyl as well.
    yamaha 4-stroke F40 is 3 cyclinder

4-stroke F50/60 are 4 cylinder and heavier.....just want to make sure you've got the right info Corn

yes you are right Buzz. I was thinking 2-strokes. My bad.

Possible I was unclear in that I meant to suggest a more powerful (vs the 40A) Jet that may still be Kenai legal. The comparison was between the 60/40 Yami and the Merc 40EFI.

BTW, the Yami 40A is 220lbs and both 60/40's are 270lbs. All can be started with a quality motorcycle or power-chair battery.

I have a friend who runs a 40A, his only complaint is he wishes he had gotten the electric start version.

Cheers

Just to be clear - Before you buy a new motor, the 60/40 jets are not Kenai legal even if they are only putting out 40 HP at the pump and are tagged as a 40. The 50 HP regulation is the "equivalent propshaft rating" meaning if you put a lower unit on it, it can't be making over 50 HP at the propshaft.

Hey Corn did you get that 16' G3 yet? I'm looking at the same setup, only in a Lowe 1648T with the Yamaha 40/30 jet. Keep us posted if you get it. I'm very curious about this size setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbradley View Post
    Hey Corn did you get that 16' G3 yet? I'm looking at the same setup, only in a Lowe 1648T with the Yamaha 40/30 jet. Keep us posted if you get it. I'm very curious about this size setup.
    Hey Tbradley. No, we haven't picked up this boat yet. Still planning on it, but my bride is due with our little boy any day now, so we decided to hold off for a bit in order to keep our kitty with a little cash in it for unexpected expenses.

I've spoken with enough people that have run this or a similar setup to be confident that it will do everything I need it to do. Before pulling the trigger, I am going to look at that Tohatsu 50/35 with a factory jet. It's direct injection 2 stroke, so it's Kenai Legal, and the few extra ponies wouldn't hurt anything. I'm sure I'd be happy with either motor. Let us know what you purchase!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast