Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new regs

Default new regs

Ok, just for winter time discussion. If your sole job was to re-write the hunting regulations for Alaska. What would be first thing you would change?

The first thing I would do is replace the maps with bigger, more defined, fold-out maps that would make it easier to understand the borders of game units.

What would you change?

The Book would be replaced...by a single sheet of paper. It would have a map of Alaska 5"x5" to save on ink and the words: Hunting Season January 1 thru December 31.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I would make alot more easy just to understand it. You have to read some parts of two or more times and then Im still not sure. Better maps also

It would show bag limits.Season would be 8-1 through 5-30 and hunt only with-in one hundred miles of home.Transportation of game no more than fifty miles on major highway.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Remove guide requirements for non-residents on all species. Keep it for non-res aliens.

Reassign game unit numbers so that there are no 14 A, B &C. They would become 14, 15, and 16 so things are more clear in the regs. Otherwise the regs in this state are pretty simple compared to other western states I have looked at.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Change Resident hunts: ALL MOOSE HUNTS to "any bull", change sheep hunts to Aug 5th-Sep 25, get rid of black bear harvest tickets. Allow 2 grizz per hunter. start a muzzleloader season for sheep & dalton caribou

I like the any bull for residents. I would allow grizz over bait, one per year in high density areas and one every every other year in the less infested areas. I am a resident but I agree with getting rid of the guide requirements for non-residents. Now that being said I say that a non-residendt would have to have a resident Alaskan sponsor, that has their name also on their non-res tags/license and that is physically hunting with the non-res in the field. The sponsor has to be an Alaska resident but doesn't have to be second degree kin. non-res alien still would need a guide.

Default lessen location-specific rules

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    Ok, just for winter time discussion. If your sole job was to re-write the hunting regulations for Alaska. What would be first thing you would change?

The first thing I would do is replace the maps with bigger, more defined, fold-out maps that would make it easier to understand the borders of game units.

What would you change?
    I know its not a realistic request, but you said "just for wintertime discussion", so I figure anything goes:

There are too many "this is legal here, but not over there" rules. Heck, drive a couple miles and all of a sudden different behavior is legal/illegal.

I know some of this is necessary, but I think the proposal-approval process has made for so many little loopholes & situations that you have to be a darn lawyer to hunt/fish legally. Ethics, I understand well. Legal, I still tussel with.

For one (small) example, I told my buddy he had to snip the other two hooks off his treble hook for where we were fishing. He's a smart guy, but he didn't know that. Turns out I was wrong; he didn't have to, and it was me that didn't know that. I still have a few spinners in my box that are clipped down to single hooks because of that day.

On larger matters, its OK to triangulate and corner game by cellphone-talk in some (OK, one) areas/species and not others? Huh?

Make the rules more common sense & understandable, and as general state-wide as possible. I see no effort to go this direction now.

I'd like to see more detailed maps showing the closed park area, special use areas, unit boundaries, etc. I find myself bouncing between multiple maps and websites to get even some basic information. The maps on the F&G site are better but could still be improved.

Get rid of the black bear harvest tickets.

Double the non-res tag fees for sheep, goat, and brown bear and increase the remaining non-res tag fees by at least 50%. The only exceptions would be for black bear, wolves, and deer. Residents pay $10 or $20 for a sheep harvest ticket, even for the so called subsistence sheep.

Non-residents are not guaranteed a certain number or percentage of tags in any draw. Maximums are set on the number of tags which can be given to non-res in all drawings. Non-res and residents are put into the same pool, if a non-res is drawn and the max. hasn't been reached then they get a tag. If six tags are drawn for a specific hunt and no non-res are pulled for a tag then that's the luck of the draw.

I think any male 64 years old with red hair and blue eyes should be allowed to shoot any animal, any place (Including Parks), any time, day or night, and the license if free. Everyone else should pay $300.00 per year. I think the maps should be made much smaller. No one but me should be allowed to hunt more than ten feet from their front door.

As to the Draw Tags, they should all be given to me, so I can sell them for massive profit to cover the cost of my hunting.

Default You're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I think any male 64 years old with red hair...
    No no no, that should be 53 years old and with "blonde" hair.

I would like to see the restrictions on sale of trophies removed.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

State wide,Moose season,,,,Sept,10 through Sept 30th, any bull,,,,,,If you hunt subsistence,you can't shop at Sams club. If you hunt under rural preference,you need to purchase a $100 permit to enter a urban town to shop.

I'll pay a thousand to never have to enter a urban town
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Pretty surprised that folks would want to have a statewide any-bull moose season. If that happened, it would be great hunting for a year or two, then the bottom would drop out of the population in easily accessible areas. Seems like it would lead to a short term gain followed by a long term loss of opportunity for everyone.

I'd agree with getting rid of black bear harvest tags and capping non-resident drawing permits as a maximum of a certain percent (10% seems fair) without actually giving them a guaranteed allocation of permits like is now done with some sheep and bear hunts. I would also be in favor of getting rid of the guide requirement for sheep, bear, and goats while also increasing the non-resident tag fee by 4x. Another sensible change (which I think has already been adopted in limited areas?) would be to make black bear salvage rules in the fall hide or meat instead of requiring people to keep the hides when they are primarily meat hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Pretty surprised that folks would want to have a statewide any-bull moose season. If that happened, it would be great hunting for a year or two, then the bottom would drop out of the population in easily accessible areas. Seems like it would lead to a short term gain followed by a long term loss of opportunity for everyone.
    I wonder what percentage of the folks that want a Statewide any-bull moose season have no realistic intention of being here 3 or 4 years from now? "I'm only stationed here until 2013, and I need to kill as MANY animals as possible while I can still claim residency."

As to the OP.
    Drop the Black Bear Harvest Tickets.
    Increase non-resident tag/license fees
    Make all non-residents require a guide for ANY Big Game
    More Youth Hunts
    Allow small caliber firearms in the Skilak "Archery Only" area to allow for the taking of small game.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Simplify regulations:

State wide general rules with special limits or closures in specific GMU according to game numbers in that GMU

Give everyone the same opportunity to hunt:

Limited game in a GMU, special draw for both residents and non-residents (charge higher fees and limit number of permits for non-residents).
    Change non-resident guide requirement to guide or resident sponsor (plenty of resident sponsors with Alaska hunting experience, family not second degree, and friends who are life long hunters and with a sponsor in the field would provide Alaska hunting knowledge (regulations, local weather, local game behavior , and so on)).

The hardest part of hunting here is making sure your legal (simplify, simplify, regulations).

I know this may make some people mad but I would like to see the 40 mile caribou hunt a drawing permit with a set season, instead of the state postponing the hunt which I think we will see more and more of in the future.
    Better maps
    more take a child type hunts

As long as some states have game that is res.only hunts and game requiring guides its more than fair Alaska do the same. I would go for any bull moose only if you have hunted moose here ten years stright as a res.I would like to see a head tax like cruse ships for hunters flying in.

I would change the moose season as follows.

General Season moose hunt would run from Aug 10-Sept 10.
    Bow Season for moose would run from Sept 11th-Dec 31st unless closed by emergency order if predetermined quota is reached.

I hate how we have such a short moose season. I am bored to death after September.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast