Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: some shootin' on the trap line...

Default some shootin' on the trap line...

well lil bob smoked him an otter today with the AR-15, got a fox later too, managed to double on the otters. shouldn't sit out in the middle of the lake like that anymore.

Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Sweet! Little Bob is rocking it! Nice to see the cat is back in action too, guess I will have to check out the other thread to see the latest on it...

Congrats, Little Bob! Although, the "tan wolf" is still my favorite catch!

Awesome. Way to go. Always good to see the kids out there too.

Awesome! That'll be fun to hear the story straight from Bob when I make it up that way...hopefully next month.

Too cool! What ammo you using?

some black box 65 grain soft point from sportsmans 5.97 a box i think.
    Master guide 212

Optic?

Good goin'!!!

its the bushnell red do deal, retails for 175 i think, it came on the gun. kinda fun. had some problems with the gun freezing up, degreased it but snow dust gets in there and jams 'er up.
    jake
    Master guide 212

Is it getting in through the magwell or do you not have a dust cover? I know it likely packs in there regardless. Still taping the flash hider?

Eberlestock gunslinger.... problem solved.

i want my gun on back so i can grab it and go, packin' it up is a pain and trying to unpack to shoot isn't cool. but then again neither is a frozen gun. i'm taping the barrell, and taping the ejection port with paper towel...sometimes the charging handle freezes up with snow too... three guns went out yesterday for caribou, only one worked and it was the one that came outa the case and had starter fluid cleaned the bolt...got mine working, just held it against the fan on the 550F and good to go. the other bolt action never did fire....
    Master guide 212

BRWNBR,
    I Brake-Kleen all of mine and if I'm going on a long snowmachine trip let them sit out and get nice and cold so any snow that does get into them, doesn't melt and freeze up real bad. I've had both my AR's and bolt guns literally packed with spindrift snow and they still fire and function.

ya thats what we did to the one gun that did fire....
    i'll be happening to my gun later tonight.
    Master guide 212

I like mine easy to get to as well. I have an X1 pack for hunting from the wheeler w/ bolt action rifles. It won't fit the AR style so I plan on getting the gunslinger pack for my winter hunting.

Mine works great, reach back and slide it out of the scabbard.

been thinking about something similiar to the Nimrod http://www.nimrodpacks.com/hunting-packages.html rifle scabbard mounted on there shoulder harness or getting a kifaru omni belt & shoulder harness & attaching it to. just not into the backpack thing while i'm riding & looks like you could keep your gun fairly protected & ready without the bag to fight also......

I like the backpack. I like to put stuff for saving my life in it so that if I lose my sled in a river I hopefully don't die. I am very opposed to dieing if at all avoidable

I'm with you LuJon on the saving life at all costs. I just picked up a small Sitka Flash 2.0 pack and it holds the rifle, calling gear and safety gear. It also fits nicely around my handlebars with the waist belt, so it's right there if I want it when I'm not running on the rivers. I just put together a super fire starting kit in a small otter box to keep in the pack too, which I never hope to use, but it's there if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    I just put together a super fire starting kit in a small otter box to keep in the pack too, which I never hope to use, but it's there if needed.
    Consisting of?

Sorry, I know its a thread drift...

LuJon,
    Here's what I put in the box: Two boxes of the 20 second burn waterproof matches & extra strike pads, Bic Lighter (in case it's warm and will light), Blast Match, 1 tube of Fire Paste, 35mm can full of Coughlan's Emergency Kindling (Cotton/vaseline type stuff), 3 WetFire kindling packets, 2 small survival candles, 15' of small cord, small LED light with extra batteries. On the outside I have a strap wrapped around the box holding a large emergency/foil blanket and another small waterproof LED light clipped onto the strap. There are also a couple of waterproof flares in my pack too "just in case".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast